Personal Protection

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
What would you consider to be the minimum yearly commitment?
I won't attempt to specify that for you as that varies from person to person. You need to become & remain proficient, and not just relative to the shooting/accuracy aspects. As mentioned, "muscle memory" is important. You also need to be comfortable carrying, accessing your handgun, acquiring your target, etc. I try to shoot at least couple times a month now, but prefer practicing every week (family medical circumstances demand much of my time/necessitate that I be readily available at present.).

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
Bear spray is a great choice for wildlife encounters. The spray pattern and distance, usually 20-25 feet, creates a decent barrier. Firearms, especially on charging wildlife, are not very effective in my opinion. The target is extremely small and accuracy is critical. The tough part on a frontal charge is you may or may not hit the vitals. Even if the vitals are hit, the animal can still continue to charge. You really need to do structural damage, bone breaking and disabling body function. The charging animal is also not running in a straight line. The animal has some up and down movement while advancing.

I have thought about charging critters a lot since moving to grizzly country. A brief calculation of a charging grizzly revealed that they can cover about 100 feet in about 2 seconds. Most reaction time is approximately 1.5 to 2 seconds. The reaction time is where you go oh solid waste excrement!. Then there is the action. It takes more time.

As far as protection for the 2 legged problem, pepper spray works good on most people. There are some folks who it does not work on. Should you choose a firearm, practice is essential. You are also responsible for where the bullet goes. In high stress situations, gross motor skills take over. I would also suggest you check up on the laws in the state you live in. The best way is to avoid situations where firearms are needed. Easier said than done. If your gut says things might get ugly, leave.

Just my .02. Good luck.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They work well. I’ve seen the results of a deployment.

I have a canister spray for my wife.
I think the technology of the Kimber is great. I need to read up on it.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
In Africa, India, and other places with big cats they wear masks on the back of their heads because the cats are far less likely to attack something from the front.

I've been told I should wear a mask when I'm out in public. Perhaps this is the impetus I need?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
In Africa, India, and other places with big cats they wear masks on the back of their heads because the cats are far less likely to attack something from the front.

I've been told I should wear a mask when I'm out in public. Perhaps this is the impetus I need?

I once read in Nat Geo about farmers in India that do this. Now if I am hiking alone in cougar country, I’ll wear my sunglasses on the back of my head. I am 99.5% this is doing nothing for me. It makes me feel better though which is all that matters because I am also 99.9% sure a cougar is never going to attack me. Horrific but extraordinarily rare occurrence.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I as pro-gun as they get. I grew up with firearms and if you have not then I would think 3x before going down that path. IMO everyone should learn firearm competency. It will take some of the drama out of the active shooter situation as in the ability to assess quickly what an armed person could do with the tool he has at his disposal. Self-defense be it hand to hand or firearm is serious. Carry of firearm is serious business and should require knowledge and temperament to carry and posses. I'm not one for Constitutional carry but I want my Constitutional right. There are too many who should not have firearms. If you go down the firearm route then invest the time and commitment it takes to be proficient and do your sole searching. Do you have the temperament to carry? Teach your kids whether you have firearms in the house or not. NRA has the Eddie Eagle program for kids as an absolute minimum every kid should learn. You may not own fires arms but where your kid's play dates are very well could. Teach your kids age appropriate responsibility with firearms (as with everything in life) as soon as they can walk and talk.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Whenever I go through Olympia, Seattle or Aberdeen on the way to the coast I wear one of those masks. Tweakers won't rob you if they think you're looking at them.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pepper gel spray a good option, propels a more direct stream vs an enveloping fog.
As to firearms...visit an indoor range that rents handguns, pay for a range lesson with an instructor, evaluate the experience and decide if firing a handgun appeals to you. If doesn't, and you're not willing to practice on a regular basis until you're reasonably competent, end of story. If you decide to proceed, there are many handgun and holster options based on your needs, build, and recoil tolerance. Training and licensing is mandatory as are locking gun safes for storage.
35 years ago, while with my ten year old son on a camping and fishing weekend, we were confronted by an armed and highly agitated nut case that resulted in a dangerous high speed escape to asphalt while being followed....and have never entered the deep woods unarmed since.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Any age children.
And, more importantly, their friends. You can teach your kids firearm safety. You'd rather not rely on your kids' friends to be trained as well.

Pepper spray, that non-lethal kimber thing, a baseball bat, a small collapsable baton, all these things can neutralize a threat from 4 or two legged animals. I chose to leave my firearms locked up, and adopt a bat for home defense. Al Kaline autograph model.

So, to answer the OP's request, here's my advice: Get something non-lethal that you're comfy with...spray, a taser, etc. It'll do what you need. Guns are something that many posters indicate require significant time and money investment for you obtain and maintain proficiency and safety. Believe them.

And don't be afraid.