Personal Protection

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
The cougar attack thread got me thinking about an important topic. My home is in bear and cougar country. I've never seen a cougar, but bears are found roaming the streets about a dozen times each year. More importantly, all the paved walking trails run along side a forest and I'm sure there's all kinds of fun things in there. We need some kind of protection and I figure bear spray is best, particularly for my wife and parents. I plan to hang a can of bear spray on the stroller, so we never forget it. I also plan to hang a can of neutralizer on the stroller, in case one of the kids gets into the bear spray.

All the above then got me thinking about firearms, too. I feel like every time I get in my car and the radio turns on, I hear about a new shooting. With my second kid on the way, I'm starting to wonder if I need to embrace the chaos and become a real American. I was at a busy playground with my kid, on the weekend, and found myself thinking about how completely f-ed we would be if a nutcase with a gun came through. One of my expat friends is feeling the same way. He has been evacuated from Southcenter mall twice, due to an active shooter.

I've never shot a handgun and I've only owned an air rifle. My experience with guns is limited to plinking with my grandpa's .22s, when I was younger. I'm trying to decide whether it is practical to do the concealed carry thing. There is an outdoor shooting range about 5 minutes from my home. However, I barely get to go fishing these days and I'm not sure I would be able to practice often enough. I barely used my air rifle and I doubt shooting will become a hobby. If it weren't for protection reasons, I probably wouldn't bother at all. With all this in mind, I have some questions for folks that do concealed carry.

I could commit to target practice and gun cleaning twice a year. I'm not sure I would have the time or motivation to do more than that. Is that sufficient or is this whole thing a non-starter?

If this all sounds feasible, I would appreciate some advice on the setup, including storage and so on. A gun forum might seem like a better place to ask, but I think folks here are a bit more level headed than what I have observed elsewhere. My only requirements are (very) small size and minimal maintenance.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
At twice a year, I'm pretty sure the statistics don't improve for you owning a firearm. You're likely better off with bear spray. I'm no expert, but I think just getting to "square one" would require shooting at least once a month for the first year. I have a friend who is a long time certified "gun nut," owns between 3 and 4 dozen hand guns, and he shoots his EDC monthly at a local range.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Bear spray, as you mentioned, is reversible. Handguns, not so much.

If you go the handgun route, learn, practice and commit. You shouldn't do it halfway.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
If you do not practice regularly, become comfortable, and develop muscle memory with a handgun it's like anything else...when it comes time to perform you will likely be poor at it.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you're buying a gun for cougar attack just don't. You won't get it out of the holster if they really want you. If one is trying to run you off, back off. I've worked in the woods nearly my whole life and the only animal I've ever carried for has two legs. Alaska being the exception during bad bear season in bad areas. But the game is different. They generally let you see them coming. Cats don't do that.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
At twice a year, I'm pretty sure the statistics don't improve for you owning a firearm. You're likely better off with bear spray. I'm no expert, but I think just getting to "square one" would require shooting at least once a month for the first year. I have a friend who is a long time certified "gun nut," owns between 3 and 4 dozen hand guns, and he shoots his EDC monthly at a local range.

I think that's accurate, good marksman shoot regularly, and that for very accurate rifles. Handguns are inherently less accurate, add in the adrenaline and small target size of killing an attacking animal I think spray is a better option unless one is willing to shoot regularly and under stress ( actually train). That said I am 100% in favor of people carrying side arms any where they go regardless of their level of training as them carrying or not carrying is absolutely none of my business.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
It would seem that I need to clarify my post. I intend to use bear spray, for protection from wildlife. There is absolutely no chance I would ever be good enough at shooting to hit a cougar. I would only purchase a firearm for protection against animals that have their own firearms. I would have no intention of being a hero; running or hiding would always be the first option.

What got me really thinking about this is that I heard about a shooting at a park. Last time I took my kid to the playground, it dawned on me that there was nowhere to run or hide. If we ran, we would be out in the open. If we hid, it would only be a matter of time until we were found. It seems like the only way out of a scenario like that would be to hide and, if approached, shoot first.

Last edited:

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I get the impulse on armed defense but I think it takes serious training to be solid. Some guys are kidding themselves. Sort of like chainsaws on construction sites, we don't always give the tool enough respect.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Without solid commitment to training & continuing practice on your part, my response to your question re: obtaining a handgun for personal protection is "No." I have carried for >50 years. I still practice regularly. "It's <NOT> like riding a bike" . . .

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’ve been carrying for close to 40 years now….haven’t shot anybody yet……plenty of times I was glad I have a gun. You have to be very wise when carrying a gun, your bullets don’t come back. The one time you really need one and don’t have one……way too many clowns illegally with guns. I carry a Glock 26 9mm, great size and weatherproof for fishing. But that’s just me….

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Without solid commitment to training & continuing practice on your part, my response to your question re: obtaining a handgun for personal protection is "No." I have carried for >50 years. I still practice regularly. "It's <NOT> like riding a bike" . . .

What would you consider to be the minimum yearly commitment?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I heard a quote yesterday that while not directly related to handguns it was actually used to reference gun ownership.

I’m paraphrasing.
“The second you come to own a backhoe, all you see are holes that need to be dug.”

I’m sure you can find the analogy.

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
DimeBrite nailed it. The news is centered around fear and bad news, as it gets better viewership than positive news.
There are definitely situations which call for more than pepper spray, but I think the tone of the responses on this thread is spot on.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
What would you consider to be the minimum yearly commitment?
Being retired I have the luxury of having Wednesday being range day. Until it warms up I shoot for about an hour when the indoor range opens. Warmer temperatures I head to an outdoor range with more flexibility on how I can shoot. But then I don’t carry in public, but I do bird hunting in the forest. I don’t go places that would warrant concealed carry. But, @Zak, the Kimber is a good option for your wife. I have one on the side table next to my chair while I type this.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last edited: