Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.

• Total voters

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
You're casting that on a 7wt rod though right? I would like to line my 7wt Echo Boost Blue for the salt but haven't cast it more than a couple times yet. I got a 7wt Titan floater for streamers I'm hoping works out. Lawn casts ok but haven't had it on the water with a streamer yet.
Yeah fast 7wt rod.

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Next time I'm there you can all try my 10 year old Airflo Ridge clear int...or maybe I can convert you all to Spey Lite 😂

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'm probably going to be the only one that says this, but I really like the rio predator. It likes a winston alpha+ 9' 6wt a lot. I'm not a great caster, but I can get the backing knot out pretty damn easily with this setup. Not that the fish care, but you know....chicks dig the long cast. Haven't had tangle issues with it like I did the OBS. SA Titan Sonar is a close second for me - that line just feels good to cast.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
ADMIN NOTE:

Well, moving these posts to their own thread had some unexpected results. @mtskibum16 's post about the poll was supposed to be at the top. But since the other posts are older chronologically.... the system put them first. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
ADMIN NOTE:

Well, moving these posts to their own thread had some unexpected results. @mtskibum16 's post about the poll was supposed to be at the top. But since the other posts are older chronologically.... the system put them first. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks for the help Josh! Looks like we're up and running!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
@IHFISH
If you don't mind, could you share a little bit about what you didn't like? I've been thinking of picking a beach line with a type 3 tip/head for a bit, so I'm following this with interest.

I brought your question over here to the line thread.
It was likely my terrible casting, but just didn’t like the type 2 section in between the intermediate and the type 3.
That is why I hope they come out with a intermediate/3 in the future similar to the Cortland Compact Intermediate/3.
SF

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I brought your question over here to the line thread.
It was likely my terrible casting, but just didn’t like the type 2 section in between the intermediate and the type 3.
That is why I hope they come out with a intermediate/3 in the future similar to the Cortland Compact Intermediate/3.
SF
Brian, I haven't cast one of the newer multi-density heads. Did you find there was a difference in stiffness or hinge or something in the head between sections, or just didn't like the difference in sink rate in the head?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Brian, I haven't cast one of the newer multi-density heads. Did you find there was a difference in stiffness or hinge or something in the head between sections, or just didn't like the difference in sink rate in the head?

It just kind of felt clunky to me and I seemed to for some reason get a lot of tangles in the type 2 portion.
There are other folks on this board though that really like that line.
Like everything with beach fishing, it comes down to confidence and personal preference.
SF

mickey rat

Vermin
Agree with @Stonedfish. It's a vast difference in the sink rates for me between the SA titan intermediate and I/2/3. Have been way too busy try coho this summer but I thought the I/2/3 would have been the ticket for the faster retrieve.
Josh, Rio CQS didn't even wiggle into the list anymore?

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Curious what you didn't like about it? I remember the first time I cast one of @Mtnwkr I wasn't a fan because the running line was thin and slick. Compared to the OBS at the time I couldn't grip it when hauling. Ended up just being a muscle memory thing. I have no issues gripping the running line now and appreciate how nice it shoots. The head profiles are actually similar (or they were) but the 40+ is 6' longer than OBS which I also seem to like better. I always found myself trying to cast my OBS with 5-10' of running line out. I wouldn't mind trying a newer version of the OBS though as these lines change over time.

It’s been awhile but the thing I recall was needing more false casts to get the same equivalent distance cast from the 40+ versus the OBS. I cannot remember if the 40+ I cast off the beach was a full intermediate or int/3 though. The last one I cast (and still have) was the 7 weight floater I bought for an AK trip to try in 2018 or 19. 40+ extreme was the name I believe. I was not the biggest fan of that line either though. It was a floater so it was fine in the end and I will still occasionally use it.

One thing I’ll say about the OBS is it can be a tad “clunky” sometimes if that makes sense. I’m not winning any beauty contests casting that line off the of the beach. I find it to be the most efficient casting line for me though. Minimal false casts needed. All that said, I am looking again for something different due to the durability and knot issues (especially when using a stripping basket) of the OBS. I’ve been through an embarrassing number of them the last few years. If the 40+ is available I might give it a try. With more experience beach casting, maybe I’ll enjoy it.

One other thing on the Titan lines. Like you said, they can coil a bit. The first one I had did that a lot. The one I have that I enjoy fishing is then Sink Cold, not the Hover 2/4 actually. It does not seem to have that problem. It sinks fast though. I think they say 4-8 ips. I have fished the hover/2/4 as well with minimal issues. Just not as much. I use in my 8 weight on occasion.

Bagman

Steelhead
If it’s okay I would like to bring another animal into this game. I’m a switch roder using a overhead cast. I have chosen the Rio outbound short as my go to line. I up line most of my rods by 3 line weights so for my 8wt switch rod I use a 11 Rio outbound short At 465grains. I also like the Rio coastal quick shooterXP, but it does not have the choices that the outbound short have came out with, it also doesn’t have any lines over a 9wt so I only fish it with my 6wt switch. I have a Rio OBS in 10wt, that is intermmediate sink 3, which cast very with my 7wt switch but I have only fished a few times, and that was last year. I’m waiting to try it again this year. I also picked Rio OBS 10wt I/3/5 while it does cast great on my 7 wt I felt it would be better suited for my 8wt, at least for now I will be fishing my 7wt for now to chase coho, as I wait for the ocean coho to show, so it will have to wait before I can test cast it on my 8wt.

Beach lines all seem to have trade offs. I use both the new Rio outbound short intermediate and the airflo 40 plus type 3. The 40 plus has minimal stretch and I think it contributes to not being quite as “fun” to cast. But I like how the bites feel on the 40 plus. The new outbounds are super slick. Almost too slick when new- line slips thru on hauls and some strips. Line is stretchy so more fun to cast as the stretch I think leads to a smoother cast as opposed to the 40 plus which is more “abrupt” without the stretch. I think the bites are not as sharp when at distance on the new outbounds. Though both are heavy for weight advertised i prefer to up line the 40 plus for the way I cast. I do not up line the Rio.

Will be interesting to see how long the new Rio lines hold up. I would go thru the old in touch ones in a month sometimes. Sage was always great on taking care of warranty items. Great company.

Still looking for that perfect beach line for me.
Mike