Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.

• Total voters

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I fish a dryline 100% of the time. My go to for the past five years has been the Cortland 5/6 200gr Specialty Compact Float. It’s basically a 26’ shooting head with integrated running line.
Leland
What rod are you using that on?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I picked this line up recently for tossing streamers in lakes, but I think it might have some possible uses in the salt. I’m thinking mainly for cutts but possibly staging coho.
Not really crazy about the floating running line, but on days without a lot of chop and weeds it should work fine.
On the 6wt version, the type 3 head is 10’ long.
SF

BC2D1B2E-EC84-47FD-ADAE-35B4D336D76D.jpeg

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
SF - I have that line in the S6 tip for swinging streamers in rivers and really like it. I think it would do well for bass along weed lines, etc. too but haven't had a chance to try it for that application.

Back to beach lines - I'm using the OBS premier 6wt full intermediate for coho and like it a lot, but there was one small discolored/oddly textured section of the running line when I spooled it up for the opener. I've had the line less than a year. To me it's ok for cutts, particularly if you're swinging flies through heavy current, but I'm going to be looking for something that lands a little bit less like a cannonball in the fall. Maybe the cortland clear camo intermediate.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
SF - I have that line in the S6 tip for swinging streamers in rivers and really like it. I think it would do well for bass along weed lines, etc. too but haven't had a chance to try it for that application.

Back to beach lines - I'm using the OBS premier 6wt full intermediate for coho and like it a lot, but there was one small discolored/oddly textured section of the running line when I spooled it up for the opener. I've had the line less than a year. To me it's ok for cutts, particularly if you're swinging flies through heavy current, but I'm going to be looking for something that lands a little bit less like a cannonball in the fall. Maybe the cortland clear camo intermediate.

There doesn’t seem to be a ton of finesse or soft landings in any of the integrated line, but I guess that is the trade off for not have to false cast 5-7 times to get a decent cast and not wear yourself out quickly.
It does seem the lines with slightly longer heads, like 35-36’ heads are slightly more enjoyable to cast versus the 30’ heads, but that’s just my opinion and everyone seems to enjoy what works best for them.
I like the Airflo Beach, but not for how easy it is to cast but for its durability. I can go through 3-4 Rio lines versus one of those lines. It’s really clunky to cast though and super thick.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Last night I ordered the SA Sonar Titan int/2/3. I should have it by this weekend and will provide my thoughts.

Just take my review with a grain of salt. Based on my previous contributions to this thread, I’ll probably end up providing a review of an OBS full intermediate accidentally ;).

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fishing for beach coho, here on Van Isl, many of us have gone to the Snowbee XS Floating Switch line. It casts and shoots really well. We use it for o/head casting with both long sh (9 1/2 - 10')and 11' switch rods. I've gone away from waterborne, to strictly o/head casts, as the coho are easily spooked. The integrated head allows stripping the head a good ways in with the sh rod, for following fish, before false casting back out. I make up my own fluoro 10-12' leaders, stepping down from 15-12-10 # test.

Attachments

• snowbee switch line.jpg
    snowbee switch line.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 14

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Fishing for beach coho, here on Van Isl, many of us have gone to the Snowbee XS Floating Switch line. It casts and shoots really well. We use it for o/head casting with both long sh (9 1/2 - 10')and 11' switch rods. I've gone away from waterborne, to strictly o/head casts, as the coho are easily spooked. The integrated head allows stripping the head a good ways in with the sh rod, for following fish, before false casting back out. I make up my own fluoro 10-12' leaders, stepping down from 15-12-10 # test.
Would be very interesting to come fish in your area to see the gear, technique, and environmental differences you are fishing with. Leland and DryFlyLarry are the only two I'm aware of fishing floaters extensively for coho. Obviously there are more, but it's not the standard to be sure.

What type of flies are you using on the floaters? Are you talking traveling and actively feeding coho or more staging coho in estuaries?

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Would be very interesting to come fish in your area to see the gear, technique, and environmental differences you are fishing with. Leland and DryFlyLarry are the only two I'm aware of fishing floaters extensively for coho. Obviously there are more, but it's not the standard to be sure.

What type of flies are you using on the floaters? Are you talking traveling and actively feeding coho or more staging coho in estuaries?
I stopped using sink line/ tips, as it forced me to strip in too quickly to avoid hooking the bottom. Full float line with fluoro leader and small weighted fly allows me to control the retrieve, and fly depth utilizing current speed, etc. The most common beach fly here are thumbnail-size variations of the California Neil, from the original chartreuse/green, red, or a locally-grown version of a strand each of red/blue/green/silver Krystal flash body, fuschia tail. My most effective fly last year was a sz 10 red/white bucktail (similar to mickey finn) with xsm gold dumbell eyes. Most beach fishing is for staging fish along beach and estuaries.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I stopped using sink line/ tips, as it forced me to strip in too quickly to avoid hooking the bottom. Full float line with fluoro leader and small weighted fly allows me to control the retrieve, and fly depth utilizing current speed, etc. The most common beach fly here are thumbnail-size variations of the California Neil, from the original chartreuse/green, red, or a locally-grown version of a strand each of red/blue/green/silver Krystal flash body, fuschia tail. My most effective fly last year was a sz 10 red/white bucktail (similar to mickey finn) with xsm gold dumbell eyes. Most beach fishing is for staging fish along beach and estuaries.
OK, if we're talking staging fish this all makes more sense. Because otherwise, your gear and techniques could not sound more different than the standard here, but we are primarily targeting traveling fish that are actively chasing baitfish.

But your experience and knowledge could probably be a big help for those of us that spend time chasing stagers.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I wonder if that is Dave that used to work at the Avid Angler? Jake who used to work there now works for Mayfly. Both he and Dave really liked the striper line for beach fishing.
I believe @DimeBrite tried the newer version of the striper line. Maybe he’ll chime in on his thoughts on it.
SF
Several years ago I fished one of the striper fly lines. It was a fine line, I caught fish with it. It tangled plenty like most lines. I sold it after a couple years.

Scientific Anglers makes great fly lines. The SA Streamer Express is still the best Puget Sound beach line I've ever used. It will tangle if you store it on the reel (I never do). After it was discontinued I bought a bunch in 6 and 7 weight from various fly shop bargain bins. Very durable and sets the hook without stretching. This line worked great in fresh water rivers for salmon/steelhead too.

Recently I bought a Cortland Compact Intermediate 7/8 (275 grain). I'll probably try it later this month. It has a floating running line, but not a big deal in slow or moderate moderate currents.

20220803_190717.jpg

Last edited:

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
@DimeBrite do you find that the Titan tapers from SA are not the same as the old Streamer Express? I kind of assumed it was the same line series just rebranded.

What are you planning to use that Cortland Compact on? 7wt?

skyrise

Steelhead
How far out are you guys generally casting ? And do the fish up there get kinda nervous or spooky when they get closer to the beach like they do down here on some of our northeast sound beaches ? Thanks.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How far out are you guys generally casting ? And do the fish up there get kinda nervous or spooky when they get closer to the beach like they do down here on some of our northeast sound beaches ? Thanks.
Often standing ankle deep, casting 50-90' to approx 8' max depth. Coho, likely similar to your area, quickly become aware of fishers, and spook easily. Ideal are times when I can find the school (sometimes looking like a breath of wind on the water), and cast ahead of it, allowing the fly to swing in. Stealth is key, which is why I prefer o/head casting vs ripping switch rod casts off the water. Running into the water like a lab chasing a stick, or casting on top of the school will scatter them pretty quickly as well. Our coho beaches can be quite busy, so it's rare to have a school to yourself for long before the hoards spot you and come splashing in.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
In hand. I’ll be taking her out for a spin tomorrow morning.

View attachment 25943
Did you buy it in a matching line weight to the rod being used? Looks like their grain weights for 30' are about 1 line size less than the OBS (30' head). The head is 33.5' so the total head will be a bit more than the listed weight but they don't provide total head weight. My only experience with a Sonar Titan was the full intermediate in 6wt on a 6wt Xi3 (I think) and I thought it felt light and cast more like a traditional line than an integrated shooting head.

It would be cool if you can weigh the full 33.5' head.

Bagman

Steelhead
In hand. I’ll be taking her out for a spin tomorrow morning.

View attachment 25943
I’m really interested in how you like that line I have one still in the box, but I just check it and it’s a I-3-6. I also picked up one they call still water that’s a sink 3-5-3. Picked them up on the cheap so if the 3-5-3 Sucks it’s no big deal.

Last edited:

Bagman

Steelhead
Often standing ankle deep, casting 50-90' to approx 8' max depth. Coho, likely similar to your area, quickly become aware of fishers, and spook easily. Ideal are times when I can find the school (sometimes looking like a breath of wind on the water), and cast ahead of it, allowing the fly to swing in. Stealth is key, which is why I prefer o/head casting vs ripping switch rod casts off the water. Running into the water like a lab chasing a stick, or casting on top of the school will scatter them pretty quickly as well. Our coho beaches can be quite busy, so it's rare to have a school to yourself for long before the hoards spot you and come splashing in.
As I do not know where you are fishing so I can’t respond to what you are talking about but, I believe you are fishing in fresh water, as coho move up river/stream. I fish in the salt water so if I stood in ankle deep water I would be hitting a lot of fishermen in the back of the head. I’m one of those switch rod fisherman thats ripping the water, but I have never had any fisherman be them fly, bait, of buss bombers say that I’m spooking all the fish.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
That Titan Sonar taper is freakin' awesome! I have the full intermediate and the h/2/4 that I use regularly for tigers. 10wt for my 10wt.

I also use the h/2/4 regularly for smallies. 7wt line for either my 7 or 8wt rods....it works very well on both.