My Booby's Don't Float

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are Rainy’s boobies, and the foam cylinders absorbing water? Let’s test them Monday.
No, the Sybai foam cylinders and Rainy's eyes are both still floating.
According to some other's comments it doesn't really matter but I guess my Libra mind makes it more important than it might really be.
This kinda says it all.😊
1643944782486.png

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A dozen or so years ago I bought a couple dozen booby flies from a source in England. The peanut like foam was wrapped in nylon stocking material. Dangerous subject.
A long time member of our local fly fishing club used to do tie suspended chironomids with foam wrapped in nylon stocking material. I’m up for a booby test float on Monday. :cool:

They are floating like they are designed to. Many years ago when they came out in Scotland and was getting band along with the blob flies( catching way too many fish and also of the fish taking them so deep to release). One would cast out- let line sink to bottom(leader would be 2-2`1/2 feet) and do a very, very, very slow figure eight hand retrieve. Tried a few times but didn't have the patience for it - some of the guys that fished them would take maybe 10- 15 minutes to bring the fly back in.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
They are floating like they are designed to. Many years ago when they came out in Scotland and was getting band along with the blob flies( catching way too many fish and also of the fish taking them so deep to release). One would cast out- let line sink to bottom(leader would be 2-2`1/2 feet) and do a very, very, very slow figure eight hand retrieve. Tried a few times but didn't have the patience for it - some of the guys that fished them would take maybe 10- 15 minutes to bring the fly back in.
I don't retrieve booby flies slowly. Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
That super slow or even static presentation is effective, but also when they tend to take the fly deep.
I try to keep em moving
I seem to lose more fish on booby fly presentations than I actually land. This "take the fly deep" hasn't been an issue for me with a booby (or with a blob) any more so than with other sunk flies. Maybe I'm misremembering? When I land a fish and the fly has been taken deep (it happens), I clip the leader and hope the trout survives.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I seem to lose more fish on booby fly presentations than I actually land. This "take the fly deep" hasn't been an issue for me with a booby (or with a blob) any more so than with other sunk flies. Maybe I'm misremembering? When I land a fish and the fly has been taken deep (it happens), I clip the leader and hope the trout survives.
I don't fish them alot but haven't experienced the deep takes either.
If it ever became an issue I would definitely avoid the patterns and method.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Maybe it's a stocker trout thing?

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
This is going to sound funny, but seriously, maybe your boobies are too big?

Mukman

Life of the Party
I've tried tying boobies and found that not all foam is created equal. Have to get closed cell foam. Lots of trial and error on the lakes to figure that out. I wish I would have thought of putting them in a bucket first.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
E1E7D7CF-0E95-4194-981E-6E33B42E2714.jpeg
This booby worked. Rich gave me this one the last time I fished. I tied some of my own as well, they got plenty of action, but had knot failure and lost two of them to fish. At least I got to see the fish before the loss as they came straight up out of the water.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A long time member of our local fly fishing club used to do tie suspended chironomids with foam wrapped in nylon stocking material. I’m up for a booby test float on Monday. :cool:

That was the original Booby. I recall reading about them in a British fly fishing magazine, back before 2010.