My Booby's Don't Float

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I tied 5 Boobies last night. On two of the flies I used Firehole 318 hooks, large Rainy's preformed eyes, FNF Jelly, and a UV marabou tail.
The other three were tied on several different scud style hooks using Sybai 7mm foam, crystal chenille, and the same marabou tailing. UTC 70 thread was used on all.
Initially they all floated horizontally but after a half hour or so they were all still floating but hanging totally vertical or very near it.
A few time lapse photos.
IMG-5088.jpg
IMG-5089.jpg
IMG-5090.jpg
Suggestions???

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
LOL me, too. I really wanted to answer "run the bath a few inches deeper" but decided not to :cool:

Aaaaaanyway... they're not really topwater flies, although fishing them that way (boobies up but body dangling) on a floating line is fun for panfish!

Fished on a sinking line, they get yanked down when you strip, then float back upwards head first, like something struggling to the surface.
Fish em as they are!

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They are functioning exactly as intended. No suggestions needed.
Well, that makes me feel better.:)
That said, I wonder if there's a synthetic for tail material that wouldn't absorb water like marabou does yet has decent action?

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Well, that makes me feel better.:)
That said, I wonder if there's a synthetic for tail material that wouldn't absorb water like marabou does yet has decent action?
Are Rainy’s boobies, and the foam cylinders absorbing water? Let’s test them Monday.

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
What everyone else said, Dean. It's that happy medium. They don't need to float, but you don't want 'em to sag either. Up nice and neat where they can be seen. Sloppy is never good. Small to mid-size, as a lot of trout are easily spooked.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My Brother in Law purchased this one.
IMG-4853.jpeg
I asked him to do the 'test' last night and it's still floating like a bobber this morning.
It's hard to tell but could that be CDC at the tail?

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I have used foam peanut packing material on a few of my boobie flies, they work well if you don’t squish the eyes while tying on the fly. Of course you cut out a piece.

7246E22E-8944-42C8-A089-4684D0E187F2.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I have used foam peanut packing material on a few of my boobie flies, they work well if you don’t squish the eyes while tying on the fly. Of course you cut out a piece.

View attachment 2430
A dozen or so years ago I bought a couple dozen booby flies from a source in England. The peanut like foam was wrapped in nylon stocking material. Dangerous subject.