London Broil???

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm looking for suggestions on how to cook a tender London Broil.
With meat prices being what they are I've been buying what's on sale and planning meals around it which has been kind of fun.
My one and only attempt at a London Broil was years ago and as I remember it it was a close second to shoe leather. 😂
Whatch 'ya got?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Every time I try and cook a lower grade of meat it always turns out bad. Either low and slow, crock pot like a roast, sear on the grill and chop into carne asada, chop into stew meat, beat the S out of it with a meat mallet then chicken fry?

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Every time I try and cook a lower grade of meat it always turns out bad. Either low and slow, crock pot like a roast, sear on the grill and chop into carne asada, chop into stew meat, beat the S out of it with a meat mallet then chicken fry?
My thoughts on my first attempt were that something with such an exotic name had to be right up there with Filet Mignon, etc. ...NOT.:D

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I have good luck with flank steak with a 12-18hr marinade time to really get it tender. Grill or broil rare-mr, rest, slice cross grain thin, and at like 45 degrees to the horizontal cutting board.
I throw stuff in the best I can recall from a restaurant recipe. I put in:
Balsamic vinegar
Teriyaki (or soy) sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Olive oil (canola or similar is fine)
Pineapple and or Lemon juice
Garlic and Onion powder
Brown sugar
Powdered ginger

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Start at noon.
Sear like crazy on both sides in a dutch oven with a little oil
Cover with with stock(your choice)
Add carrot, onion and criminis
Slow simmer till half hour before dinner time
Remove veggies and meat
Throw linguini into stock
Make sure you have a shit ton of horseradish

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I got a flank marinating right now for bbq tomorrow, only dry day this week. My marinade is basic, Olive oil, balsamic, cracked pepper and garlic powder. Definitely don't over cook and slice thin against the grain. I wonder if a London broil would take the flank steak treatment well, seems like the grain is going vertical with that cut.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have good luck with flank steak with a 12-18hr marinade time to really get it tender. Grill or broil rare-mr, rest, slice cross grain thin, and at like 45 degrees to the horizontal cutting board.
Balsamic vinegar
Teriyaki (or soy) sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Garlic and Onion powder
Brown sugar
Powdered ginger

LOVE flank steak. Costs a bit more but soooo good. My marinade is very similar, I just add a jalapeno medium sliced.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Balsamic vinegar
Teriyaki (or soy) sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Garlic and Onion powder
Brown sugar
Powdered ginger
We use a similar recipe for flatiron steaks. 1/3 cup Worchestershire sauce, 1/3 cup lemon, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce, and seasoning (we use Everyday seasoning from Trader Joe’s). Marinate for at least 4 hours, more is okay. Grill on the BBQ (rain or shine) and reduce the marinade into a sauce for the meat. You can add a little thickening to the sauce. Recipe also works on mallard duck breasts.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Dean -
We love flank* steak. I like to slice one in half longitudinally then cut slices about an inch and quarter wide across the grain. I marinate the pieces for four hours minimum but never overnight. The marinade is:

Sake and soy sauce, I like enough soy to darken the sake (maybe 1/2 cup sake and 1/4 cup soy).
Lots of fresh pressed garlic
Lots of fresh grated ginger root
Sesame oil
Olive oil (optional)
Red pepper flakes
Black pepper
Brown sugar

I grill the marinated steak pieces on a hot grill. Dang good.

*I'm not familiar with the cost difference between London broil and flank steak.

RCF

Life of the Party
This will answer all questions and create more than what were originally wondered:

" Even though some butchers and even cooks often use the terms London broil and flank steak interchangeably to describe the same cuts, these two are not at all synonymous. To the identity-conscious culinary pedants, the two can never be used in place of each other. As the name suggests, the flank steak is a meat cut sourced from a specific area of a cow, while the London broil is usually a method of cooking the various lean cuts similar to and including the flank steak. Simply, it can be concluded that the London broil is a method of cooking while the flank steak is a cut of meat mostly used in the style of preparation.

Read more: Difference Between Flank Steak and London Broil | Difference Between http://www.differencebetween.net/ob...n-flank-steak-and-london-broil/#ixzz7v8XYi4s9 "

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Jeez, Chris - clear as mud! ;)"The London broil, on the other hand, is a beef dish that is made from boiling marinated beef" yet "The method of cooking the flank steak". Thanks for sharing. At any rate, I did know (and do know) what "flank steak" is in the package; I marinate it and grill it at high heat. Good stuff.

Reactions: RCF