London Broil???

Shad

Life of the Party
Having done a lot of cooking, professionally and at home, a good, long marinade helps maximize flavor (lean cuts absorb marinades slowly, so go at least overnight), and the key to "tenderness" is thin slices (1/4" or so), against the grain of the meat. At restaurants, we usually "par-broiled" (quick-seared on a broiler) the entire cut, cooled, and then sliced to order and finished on the broiler.

As an aside, all "value" cuts of beef are horribly over-priced these days; to the point where they're not so much of a value anymore, if you consider the time and effort it takes to make leaner cuts taste good. I like a good London Broil, but if reasonably-priced (relative), tender beef is what you're after, go with top sirloin, which will be priced similarly to most Broil cuts, packs a lot of flavor on its own, and takes much less time and effort to make delicious. My two cents for the age of $8/lb. "value" cuts....

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Having done a lot of cooking, professionally and at home, a good, long marinade helps maximize flavor (lean cuts absorb marinades slowly, so go at least overnight), and the key to "tenderness" is thin slices (1/4" or so), against the grain of the meat. At restaurants, we usually "par-broiled" (quick-seared on a broiler) the entire cut, cooled, and then sliced to order and finished on the broiler.

As an aside, all "value" cuts of beef are horribly over-priced these days; to the point where they're not so much of a value anymore, if you consider the time and effort it takes to make leaner cuts taste good. I like a good London Broil, but if reasonably-priced (relative), tender beef is what you're after, go with top sirloin, which will be priced similarly to most Broil cuts, packs a lot of flavor on its own, and takes much less time and effort to make delicious. My two cents for the age of $8/lb. "value" cuts....
Thanks, I'm going to pick up what my local grocer is advertising as a 'London Broil' tomorrow.
As you mentioned the sale price of the top sirloins isn't much more but the LB has my curiosity so I'll likely grab both.
17152-0001.jpg

The pork roast looks pretty tempting too.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Thanks, I'm going to pick up what my local grocer is advertising as a 'London Broil' tomorrow.
As you mentioned the sale price of the top sirloins isn't much more but the LB has my curiosity so I'll likely grab both.
17152-0001.jpg

It's probably a top round roast.

dep

Steelhead
17152-0001.jpg

marinade either cut in that Manwich in a can!

Smith

Steelhead
London Broil is a family favorite. Two methods. Season with Montreal Steak seasoning. Broil. Cook to 120 -122. Take out and rest for 10 mins. Serve with pan-seared broccoli. Maybe some garlic mashed potatoes. Second method: Heavily season with salt. Sear in an unoiled heavy pan. Leave it be for at least 5 mins a side for a 1.5-inch cut. Third, season with Montreal and cook a very hot bed of coals. In all cases, use a thermometer and make sure you pull it off at 120 -122 F. Note cooking thermometers are usually plus/minus 2 degrees F. Ask the butcher for 2-inch cuts. Cut thin (1/8 inch) against the grain. For the little kids cut it into small pieces.

This is a fast crowd-pleasing dinner. I can put it on the table in 30 mins when broiling or pan-searing. Yes it's lean, but it's sirloin and has great flavor. And you can get it even now on sale for $3/lb. If you cook rare to med rare and slice it thin it's easy to handle.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I have good luck with flank steak with a 12-18hr marinade time to really get it tender. Grill or broil rare-mr, rest, slice cross grain thin, and at like 45 degrees to the horizontal cutting board.
I throw stuff in the best I can recall from a restaurant recipe. I put in:
Balsamic vinegar
Teriyaki (or soy) sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Olive oil (canola or similar is fine)
Pineapple and or Lemon juice
Garlic and Onion powder
Brown sugar
Powdered ginger

At a Hotel I worked at, we would coat both sides of portioned Flank steak in Russian dressing and wrap in plastic wrap. 24 hrs. minimum. Then grilled med. rare. Delicious...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
At a Hotel I worked at, we would coat both sides of portioned Flank steak in Russian dressing and wrap in plastic wrap. 24 hrs. minimum. Then grilled med. rare. Delicious...
That's a neat trick, and makes sense, most all the ingredients are in there. Big shot of creamed horseradish, yum.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Traditionally, London broil is served blood rare. It's stringy so cross cutting it helps the illusion of tenderness. Don't forget the culinary basics. The tender cuts, Tenderloin, Striploin, Sirlion are cooked high temp. for a short period. You don’t want to drive out the liquids.. Everything else is cooked low temp. for long period or tenderized, mechanically or chemically to break down the collagen. On a side note. The tough cuts are actually more flavorful because of the high levels of collagen. Pot roast, yum..Tenderloin lacks it. That's why it's wrapped in bacon and needs a sauce to taste good..

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Marked London Broil and way down. Don't care for the way these really thick cuts come out. Wife likes rare, I dunk in au jus to med. Not bad, but not a great cut. Could have used more oil and time, only 8hr marinade.
20230801_184214.jpg20230801_191832.jpg20230801_191055.jpg20230801_191350.jpg

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I can't remember if I responded yet or not, but playing around with cheap cuts including this, I'll marinade for a couple hours, throw it in the sous vide for a minimum of 7hrs at 134-137....I like 137 cause it renders better. Chill (like, all the way.). Then sear the shit out of it (quickly) on the grill. Also, take juices left over in you sv bag and reduced that down for your au jus.....

Serve with whatever....no one's gonna care about the sides....