Leader Formulas: What are you using?

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Wow. I haven't seen this kind of formulaic approach since silk lines. You guys have it going on...

I've been pretty happy with furled leaders from The Fly Fisher in Lacey, with a few feet of tippet 3-6x (stepped down if >6') knotted on to the tippet ring. Seems to turn over nicely in the wind.

But I'm obviously not in the same class of angler as you guys.

Dillon

Smolt
For long leader Dry fly presentation I used Orvis 6ft. braided leaders. They stopped selling them but I found the same leader from a different source and stocked up. Braided leaders are much stiffer than furled leaders. Yes they do spray water, but that reminds me to false cast away from the target. The braided leader has loops on both ends and comes with a Bimini twist looped tippet. I throw the tippet away then cut off the loop and nail knot on an 18 inch section of nylon 0x. Then build down 1x, 2x, 3x, 8 to 12 inch sections with blood knots. Next a 4x 18 inch section, followed by about 5 ft. of 5x. This all comes out to a 15to 20ft. Leader. I’ve been using Rio for the leader and tippet, but sometimes Trout Hunter tippets. I like they’re half sizes. I have found a long tippet is very important for a good presentation and every fly change shortens it , of course. I’m constantly doing leader work before and after fishing sessions adjusting the length to insure proper turn over and testing all blood knots daily. It’s surprising how they become weakened over a short time.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wow. I haven't seen this kind of formulaic approach since silk lines. You guys have it going on...

I've been pretty happy with furled leaders from The Fly Fisher in Lacey, with a few feet of tippet 3-6x (stepped down if >6') knotted on to the tippet ring. Seems to turn over nicely in the wind.

But I'm obviously not in the same class of angler as you guys.
It’s an easy way to dial things in to casting and presentation preference, and save serious money in doing so. Last I checked, a leader was $5-10, and I think I can tie one of mine for about $0.25-0.50 depending on which it is.

Knowing how the different sections work, I can also customize them on the water to suit different situstions.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
For many years I followed the 60/20/20 leader formula using Maxima Chameleon and it worked just fine. When I began using 2-handed rods I bought some tapered leaders of 10 and 12' length and added RIO tippet material. They work just fine also. Then when the nearby Sportsman's Warehouse closed, they had a bunch of 9' tapered trout leaders, 2 to a package, for $0.99. I couldn't resist and bought a bunch. And I'm still using them because they also work just fine. I use RIO tippet material, and it seems to be good stuff and a better choice than how I used to end all my Maxima leaders with 4# Chameleon since I now occasionally partake of some high falutin' light tippet and small size fly trout fishing. My system, such as it is, is simple and most importantly, it works.