Kona A-Bay Areas - February 2023

Seattle_Scott

Freshly Spawned
I’ve fished the Kona beaches 3x and have gotten great advice from @Mingo and @mems. Unfortunately it can be tough fishing and I’ve so far only caught one BFT (Papio) but it was worth bringing the rods along. This little BFT put a good bend in the 8wt:
View attachment 94723

I’d bring an 8wt and a floater or clear tip outbound type line and some misc baitfish flies. Nervous Waters website has some cool patterns and tying instructions. Here's a shot of my Hawaii fly box:
View attachment 94763

You can try for boners in A-Bay but it’s blind casting and creeping shrimp patterns (like a spam n eggs) along the bottom. I preferred fast stripping a minnow fly and hoping to get the papio to chase it.

The challenge for me on the big island was finding spots to cast to deeper water. To get past the shallows means venturing out in the slippery lava “fingers” which can be nerve wracking. Google Maps satellite view is your friend to find places to check out. I’ve got some new spots marked in my phone to try next time I make it back.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Andy
Andy - what fly box are you using for your salt water flies? I’ve need looking for a box like this for bigger flies to take to Hawaii.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Andy - what fly box are you using for your salt water flies? I’ve need looking for a box like this for bigger flies to take to Hawaii.
That’s one of those Morell foam fly boxes, I think size XL or Big Game. I like them cause they’re lightweight and easy to open and close with the magnet closures.