Kona A-Bay Areas - February 2023

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anybody ever used conventional travel rods? My son is set on fishing with me too and I've been reviewing a bubble float and fly combo that he could use but I have never flown with fishing gear before

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anybody ever used conventional travel rods? My son is set on fishing with me too and I've been reviewing a bubble float and fly combo that he could use but I have never flown with fishing gear before
Yes…I’ve usually carried them on the plane…just don’t bring pliers, knives or hooks in carryon

Bonefish Jack

Steelhead
Yes…I’ve usually carried them on the plane…just don’t bring pliers, knives or hooks in carryon
In fact, the TSA allows hooks to be carried on. I have done it many times, including internationally. See the info in the link below:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
In fact, the TSA allows hooks to be carried on. I have done it many times, including internationally. See the info in the link below:
I’ve had so many plugs confiscated from my carry on, several times inadvertently that I stopped carrying anything with a hook onto the plane…

skyrise

Steelhead
Bring your rods (in tubes) on board and put all your fly’s & lures in your checked bags with your reels, plier, knives, hook files, and anything sharp. Tabis work in the sand or if you have tough feet otherwise buy cheap sneakers or dive booties or flats shoes. my 2 cents worth.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Bring your rods (in tubes) on board and put all your fly’s & lures in your checked bags with your reels, plier, knives, hook files, and anything sharp. Tabis work in the sand or if you have tough feet otherwise buy cheap sneakers or dive booties or flats shoes. my 2 cents worth.
I always bring my reels in carryon along with my rods...just in case. I've had two occasions while traveling when my checked luggage showed up late...I can usually still fish by picking up what I need at the destination...

rotato

Steelhead
I purchased a 10 foot four piece “whipping” rod and have had decent luck with soft baits specifically a paddle tail in crazy chicken
A little more range and simplicity and you don’t have to look for kooks behind you.
Good luck
Casting off the concrete chunk in captain cook is money for fly action and a protected for snorkel
I like black bunny strip or marabou flies
Have a great time

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It looks like I might* have a handful of days on Kona coming up. From the looks of this thread I'll be bringing my 8wt w/ CQS and floater. What strength leader/tippet? I have up to 14lb fluoro but I'm guessing that might get chomped through pretty easily. I guess I'll be tying up a few things from the Nervous Waters website if I have time, or maybe just raiding my boxes for bigger Clousers and other things that look fishy/shrimpy.

*assuming my aircraft, currently scheduled as a 737 Max 9, actually flies.

rotato

Steelhead
It looks like I might* have a handful of days on Kona coming up. From the looks of this thread I'll be bringing my 8wt w/ CQS and floater. What strength leader/tippet? I have up to 14lb fluoro but I'm guessing that might get chomped through pretty easily. I guess I'll be tying up a few things from the Nervous Waters website if I have time, or maybe just raiding my boxes for bigger Clousers and other things that look fishy/shrimpy.

*assuming my aircraft, currently scheduled as a 737 Max 9, actually flies.
Don’t forgo the smaller flies
i caught a bunch on small white marabou streamers
14 lb is probably good enough but I ran 18 lb fluro and 20 lb maxima

Last edited:

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don’t forgo the smaller flies
i caught a bunch on small white marabou streamers
14 lb is probably good enough but I ran 18 lb fluro and 20 lb maxima
I have a mountain of SRC and coho stuff tied on 4 and 6 so I guess I’ll just bring a selection and see what happens!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
the lava fingers can turn into a bit of a maze, and it’s easy to get stranded on a high spot as the tide comes in. Get yourself a gps app, I use Gaia, and you can easily backtrack.

IMG_1094.jpeg

holtad

Smolt
Forum Supporter
For the littles I'd check out Keiki Beach aka baby beach aka Queens Bath just north of Kona. Total hidden gem for tourists but well known to locals.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Js2bKuULX3rd8EY77

It has a small sandy beach and a big "pool" (Think 2x the size of an Olympic swimming pool that forms and is protected by an outside reef break Even at the highest tides and big swells, the waves break way out and the water filters in. It is 7ft deep max in the middle and is mostly sand. My kids learned to snorkel in that pool and there are always a mix of reef fish kicking around in there. Tons of little tide pools to explore right there too. The homes that surround it are in a gated community (Was told the Paul Allen estate owns the mansion on the corner) but there are a few public access spots and the locals park by the basketball courts and walk in.

Snorkeling on the outside off the lava is awesome too. That one mile of coastline (Kona up to the old airport) is a marine preserve so it doesn't really fishing/spearfishing/tourist pressure. Jumping in is like getting straight into an aquarium with fish everywhere that aren't very scared of people. Be warned though, getting in and out can be very intense with any swell at all though so its an adult only activity and really only for those who are very comfortable in that type of situation. I always go a few times when we're there but only go if the swell is very low, and even then I typically get a few bumps and bruises.

Also a huge +1 to the manta ray dive. We've done it 3x and its amazing every time.

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    359 KB · Views: 20
  • babybeach.GIF
    babybeach.GIF
    500.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Sunset.GIF
    Sunset.GIF
    428.7 KB · Views: 19
  • manta.GIF
    manta.GIF
    378.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Triton Snail.GIF
    Triton Snail.GIF
    507.2 KB · Views: 21

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
Best snorkeling is not at a beach. Shore break waves cloud the water with sand. Go south from kona to Kealakeku
State Park. Snorkel Bob’s or any dive shop in Kona can give you directionsl. Park in the park and walk past the boat ramp to the lava flow , easy entry to the water at “2 step”. You won’t be alone but it is worth the slight effort to get there. How old are the kids ?
this and kayak out to captain cook.

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
Bring really heavy shrimp patterns to get down fast to the 3 - 5 foot deep rocks along the beach between waves. I caught various goatfish, peacock groupers (lamest fight ever) and even a bonefish blind casting to this type of structure along several different beaches. The beach pic below shows the type of beaches I found to be the most productive. They are also fun to snorkel. You can see I also used some streamer patterns.

My wife is there right now and I certainly wish I was with her!

IMGP4930.JPGFish 2.jpgIMGP4583.JPGIMGP4600.JPGIMGP4610.JPG

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm back! Massive waves on the Kona side kept most of our aquatic adventures on standby (never touched my 8wt and our SUPs stayed packed) but there was plenty of fun to be had. The manta snorkel in particular was amazing.