Kona A-Bay Areas - February 2023

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hey all,

I am doing a family trip to Kona mid February this year and it finally feels close enough that it starting to feel real now. So obviously trying to get an info on fly fishing from the beach in the area.

This will be my first time fishing in a tropical location, so I am looking for all the recommendations, wts, lines, flies, target species, etc.

I posted this in the dirt bag forum too but I would also consider fishing conventional gear, but it seems like most charters are using the giant gear to strap into the chair. I'm not sure I'm interested in that in particular so I'm wondering if there are any other lighter fishing gear options targeting mahi mahi or jigging for snapper or something.

Finally, also looking for recommendations for good snorkeling locations and beaches for the kids

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Maybe @Mingo will hop in with some recommendations. I always bring a fly rod as a way to kill time on the beach when I visit but never get too serious about fishing. A-bay has bonefish I’ve never targeted but I’ve caught a variety of other species just messing around all over that bay and others. You are a boat owner so another option is to rent a boat. We’ve rented from this place a few times.

I think they’ll even rent you fishing gear (conventional). We’ve rented from them to do our own whale watch which is pretty awesome. February is a good time for that.

I bring a 7 or 8 weight and a floating and intermediate lines I also bring a variety of simple streamer patters, lots of clousers and shrimpy type flies. Have fun. Great place.

BCO

Steelhead
Best snorkeling is not at a beach. Shore break waves cloud the water with sand. Go south from kona to Kealakeku
State Park. Snorkel Bob’s or any dive shop in Kona can give you directionsl. Park in the park and walk past the boat ramp to the lava flow , easy entry to the water at “2 step”. You won’t be alone but it is worth the slight effort to get there. How old are the kids ?

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I’ve fished the Kona beaches 3x and have gotten great advice from @Mingo and @mems. Unfortunately it can be tough fishing and I’ve so far only caught one BFT (Papio) but it was worth bringing the rods along. This little BFT put a good bend in the 8wt:
IMG_0303.jpeg

I’d bring an 8wt and a floater or clear tip outbound type line and some misc baitfish flies. Nervous Waters website has some cool patterns and tying instructions. Here's a shot of my Hawaii fly box:
Hawaii fly box.jpg

You can try for boners in A-Bay but it’s blind casting and creeping shrimp patterns (like a spam n eggs) along the bottom. I preferred fast stripping a minnow fly and hoping to get the papio to chase it.

The challenge for me on the big island was finding spots to cast to deeper water. To get past the shallows means venturing out in the slippery lava “fingers” which can be nerve wracking. Google Maps satellite view is your friend to find places to check out. I’ve got some new spots marked in my phone to try next time I make it back.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Andy

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Maybe @Mingo will hop in with some recommendations. I always bring a fly rod as a way to kill time on the beach when I visit but never get too serious about fishing. A-bay has bonefish I’ve never targeted but I’ve caught a variety of other species just messing around all over that bay and others. You are a boat owner so another option is to rent a boat. We’ve rented from this place a few times.

I think they’ll even rent you fishing gear (conventional). We’ve rented from them to do our own whale watch which is pretty awesome. February is a good time for that.

I bring a 7 or 8 weight and a floating and intermediate lines I also bring a variety of simple streamer patters, lots of clousers and shrimpy type flies. Have fun. Great place.
This is so freaking cool!!! Were you able to see the whales when you rented the boat?

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Best snorkeling is not at a beach. Shore break waves cloud the water with sand. Go south from kona to Kealakeku
State Park. Snorkel Bob’s or any dive shop in Kona can give you directionsl. Park in the park and walk past the boat ramp to the lava flow , easy entry to the water at “2 step”. You won’t be alone but it is worth the slight effort to get there. How old are the kids ?
They are still littles at 4 and 6. So even just getting them in the water to see some fish will be an accomplishment.

Thankfully my parents are coming and so babysitting might be built into this trip

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
This is so freaking cool!!! Were you able to see the whales when you rented the boat?

Yep, lots of them. They are pretty thick on that coast from Jan- through spring. I think March/April/May are prime months but we always see a good amount in early March when we usually go. You often see activity from the beach as well.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They are still littles at 4 and 6. So even just getting them in the water to see some fish will be an accomplishment.

Thankfully my parents are coming and so babysitting might be built into this trip
A good place to take the kids to see some fish is the sheltered beach in front of the King Kam hotel at the south end of Alii Drive.
They even have some glass bottom kayaks for rent there.

BCO

Steelhead
eErThey are still littles at 4 and 6. So even just getting them in the water to see some fish will be an accomplishment.

My recommended snorkeling spot might be a bit more of an adventure than they ( or Mom ) are up for. It’s open water and not really splash and giggle

One place that they would enjoy is the Sea Horse farm. They raise them from birth to adult stage. They will be able see and hold the Sea Horses while on the tour.
Another hands on is the Hilton Hotel on “ A Bay “. Swim with the Dolphins. Our granddaughter still talks about it 5
years later. All adult monitors all the time. I’m not sure what the age restrictions are. If you have any questions let me know.
We lived in Waikoloa for a couple years and explored the entire island

Attachments

• 235E6E72-52B4-4C48-AE37-DB361689CAEC.jpeg
    235E6E72-52B4-4C48-AE37-DB361689CAEC.jpeg
    522.2 KB · Views: 23

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
30 mins north on the coast…Mahu Kona…small streamers for papio & aha (houndfish)…shrimpy flies for goatfish and asst reef fish

Chucker

Steelhead

Good advice. Getting to the captain cook monument area is also worth the effort. I kayaked there with a kid in a double kayak, then snorkeled. Saw dolphins, lots of fish etc. Depends how good swimmers and how adventurous your kids are, whether that could work for you.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Consider the night snorkeling with Manta Rays dealio. It is a pretty touristy thing but also a memorable experience. I went with Manta Adventures (90% sure that's who I went with) and they did a great job. I went solo while my wife and kids hung at the condo, but even if they don't want to go in the water, they could still come along and you can see quite a lot of manta ray action from the deck above, with all the lights in the water.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Consider the night snorkeling with Manta Rays dealio. It is a pretty touristy thing but also a memorable experience. I went with Manta Adventures (90% sure that's who I went with) and they did a great job. I went solo while my wife and kids hung at the condo, but even if they don't want to go in the water, they could still come along and you can see quite a lot of manta ray action from the deck above, with all the lights in the water.
Ditto! We did it as scuba, but even the snorkel is great. The water is shallow...no guarantees though. Double ditto on Two Step snorkel also.

image (27).jpg

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Don’t overlook checking out tide pools with your littles. There’s cool stuff and critters to find! A pair of felt soles Tabis makes walking on the lava rock easier.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ditto! We did it as scuba, but even the snorkel is great. The water is shallow...no guarantees though. Double ditto on Two Step snorkel also.

View attachment 94975
I’ve done this dive…it is a top 10 dive for me, and I have dove all over the world….but since your kids are 4 & 6, probably not a good idea
Don’t overlook checking out tide pools with your littles. There’s cool stuff and critters to find! A pair of felt soles Tabis makes walking on the lava rock easier.

Number one rule in Hawaii…do not turn your back to the ocean…and tabis or reef walkers would definitely be a good choice for the feet. Tide pools do have small moray eels and long spines urchin, just watch where you put your hands and feet..:

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Paging @mems

Strongly recommend wading shoes to ankle height. The game at A bay to my recollection is early morning (winds at your back until late morning/afternoon, when it's in your face), standing on rock/coral/sand mounds in some surf and urchins are EVERYWHERE. I slipped heading back to the beach and took a small spine through an opening in heavy duty sandals. Didnt get deep but did indeed suck.

Where I felt most lacking was in my ability to spot the fish. Even with polarized glasses and Don pointing them out to me I could barely make them out. It got a little easier but the difference in what Don could see and what I could see was massive.

Tallguy

Steelhead
Number one rule in Hawaii…do not turn your back to the ocean…and tabis or reef walkers would definitely be a good choice for the feet. Tide pools do have small moray eels and long spines urchin, just watch where you put your hands and feet..:

Tide pools also occasionally unexpectedly have thick 4' long puhi paka moray eels coming out of their hole and swimming directly under you in 18" deep water where you are frantically trying to pull all of your appendages out of the water, to both not touch the sharp coral and urchins as the waves wash you over the coral, and not touch the big assed moray eel swimming under your belly. Good times.