Kayak/Pontoon boat PFD recommendations?

Tacovedo

B-Run Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Though I also own the NRS Chinook, I really love both Chinook and the Astral V-Eight Fisher. The Astral is a little better for hotter climates as it breathes better. The Chinook is slightly better if you want more pockets, though the Astral is very well thought out in its minimal approach to storage.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I did the NRS chinook at everyone's recommendation and really like it. I even wear it on the big boat in the snake instead of a waistbelt now, it's that comfortable.

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
I’ve got an Onyx Universal paddle vest - same basic profile (but only one sort of pocket) as the chinook, but cheaper. Comfortable on the pontoon, and an extra layer of warmth this time of year. I’m keeping an eye out for an inflatable for summer on the pontoon or for in the float tube (“old school” life vest is too much bulk in the tube)

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I floated in Washington I used a Sterns vest. It had two pockets in the front. I tested it out in a swimming pool it kept my head up. At that time I weighted in at about 265 lbs. I'm now down to 180lbs. I figure that by the time I'm in a float tube I should be about 175 or less.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The only thing I dislike about the whitewater focused ones is that they often lack pocket/gadget space.
My whitewater vest which I mostly use on the Deschutes allows me to have one of their knives mounted for easy access in case I have to cut the anchor rope. Other than that, the NRS Chinook is on my wish list for float tubing. My wife doesn’t argue with any safety equipment, so I will buy it this spring.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I have an NRS of some sort, never really felt the need for pockets in my vest since I’m wearing it in my boat or tube, which have tons of storage. Of course, YMMV. Like Mark, I have a knife attached as I used to have a whitewater raft.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
MTI for colder weather where I don't need a lot of back ventilation.

NRS Chinook has become pretty much a standard for kayak fishermen. As alluded to in an earlier post, dont overload the pockets.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I have the Chinook and the Ninja. Rowing is easier with the ninja but I don’t like the way my shears (instead of knife) get in the way with the lash tab placement.

And inflatable on stillwater.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am very pleased with my NRS Chinook. I have a green one because it was $12 new with tags at an estate sale. Pretty much my best catch in the last four years. It has worked comfortably with a Fishcat, Fat Cat and Scout.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Onyx manual inflatable is what I have on my pontoon and skiff. Whatever you use it only works ...well if you use it!

BFC

Smolt
I replaced my older Chinook with the Mustang. Much happier. I like the fit and lift capacity.

BFC

Smolt
The one you posted.
The Khimera. got a $100 off from REI but would have paid full after trying it out last summer.
Just very comfortable and don't need the pockets. Love the auto inflate as well.

Divad

Whitefish
I have one of the inflatable older, I think Onyx ones? I switched it to manual inflate only and tape the pull handle to the vest. In an emergency the tape rips right off when pulling it but helps to keep line from getting caught.

The Mustang ones looks real unobtrusive too. One thing to note if you’re using an inflatable, you must have it on to stay compliant. Isn’t like a foamy where you can just have it stowed, but this isn’t a factor for kayak/smaller pontoons.

Divad

Whitefish
The one you posted.
The Khimera. got a $100 off from REI but would have paid full after trying it out last summer.
Just very comfortable and don't need the pockets. Love the auto inflate as well.
Can you turn off the auto inflate for manual only?