I'll Start - Why I Love Small Streams

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I have a memory of fishing a stream similar to this back in the early '60's. It was in the western Sierra's and ran through a long meadow with thick grass along the edges. It was full of brook trout but if you walked along the stream you scattered them everywhere and caught nothing. Instead we laid on our bellies and crawled to the edge of the stream where we dapped flies without alarming the fish. It was fascinating to watch, there might be 15 fish in sight and once you presented the fly to them all 15 would race towards it! Often the biggest fish-about 9"-would win by out muscling the smaller ones. We caught up enough for a meal, gutted them and fried them whole eating them almost like strips of bacon. Fun fishing and great table fare.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
20180708_171124.jpg
A small NE WA mountain stream I've fished for over 55 years...difficult access, easily spooked fish, and interspersed with log jams, beaver ponds and bogs. Other than at the few points near roads I've never encountered anybody fishing this thin blue line. Unlike most of the lakes I've fished over that timespan, it remains unchanged.

I can remember a full day of incredible fishing when I was probably 13...memorable because I'd forgotten bug repellant and acquired almost a hundred deer fly bites.

Too young to drive, my parents would often drop me (plus my trusty bear attracting dog Bubbles) and a friend off with our backpacks full of canned chili, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, whiskey pilfered from their well-stocked bar in the basement, and return to pick us up a week later. Crispy trout and froglegs taste pretty good after several days of such fare for every meal.20180708_161129_resized.jpg

Last edited: