I'll Start - Why I Love Small Streams

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Some beautiful places!

Will be hitting these later this summer. Will be my first time hitting them with a fly rod so I can't wait!

jvCaUwpl.jpg

8jPDyCBl.jpg

I love this thread. Small streams capture my imagination more than any other water, even though I don't fish them as much as I used to. Here are three shots of a small stream here in WA that shall remain nameless. I'm looking forward to getting back there this summer.

Small stream 2.jpgSmall stream 1.jpgSmall stream 3.jpg

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I love this thread. Small streams capture my imagination more than any other water, even though I don't fish them as much as I used to. Here are three shots of a small stream here in WA that shall remain nameless. I'm looking forward to getting back there this summer.

View attachment 7891View attachment 7890View attachment 7892

Streams like this demand skill, stealth and determination. Not fertile ground for the "What's the limit?" clan. Every fish is a reward well earned.

Greg Price

Steelhead
You all take awesome pics. I love small water and small fish. Don't have the skill to pluck the big ones out of there like many of you do! Other than smacking flies on Puget Sound beaches, fishing streams, creeks and small rivers is pretty much all I do. Here's some shots I found from last summer/fall that are getting me excited for more this year. First two from my favorite river in WA and second two from a stream right by my home. View attachment 6813View attachment 6814View attachment 6815View attachment 6816
I think I have caught a few from that hole in your last pic. Thought I was the only one tempting fish there. Ha Ha

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Hi all. Small streams and wild trout are my passion! I'm always leery to post photos though as I feel that someone will recognize the location, so I rarely do. I really appreciate the solitude and lack of pressure for the fish on some of these streams and rivers. I kindly ask in advance that if you do recognize them, please refrain from naming them. I know that they aren't all secret but they truly mean a great deal to me. So having said that, I guess that I'll start posting some, starting here.

20200819_193850.jpg
20200819_193623.jpg
20200831_173526.jpg
20200706_193120.jpg
20201007_181342.jpg

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Kind of fun going through some old photos. Never fished this one but plan on changing that this year.

What a beautiful stream.

DSC_3251.jpg

Amazing. I have never had the opportunity to fish a meadow stream, like this. It's on my bucket list. I've pretty much only ever fished freestones, with a few freestone-ish tail waters thrown in. 😭

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Amazing. I have never had the opportunity to fish a meadow stream, like this. It's on my bucket list. I've pretty much only ever fished freestones, with a few freestone-ish tail waters thrown in. 😭

I absolutely love meadows, probably my favorite water. There are some pretty well known meadows in SW Montana and in the Park. This particular one I just happen to stumble on which is always cool.

Heading back over there later this spring.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I absolutely love meadows, probably my favorite water. There are some pretty well known meadows in SW Montana and in the Park. This particular one I just happen to stumble on which is always cool.

Heading back over there later this spring.

I don't know if I'm just not looking hard enough, but in NW Oregon, I don't think there's any streams that I could just "just happen to stumble on "
Is that a Montana/Idaho thing, or again, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. I'm guessing the later (at least at a stream in a valley of that scale).

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I don't know if I'm just not looking hard enough, but in NW Oregon, I don't think there's any streams that I could just "just happen to stumble on "
Is that a Montana/Idaho thing, or again, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. I'm guessing the later (at least at a stream in a valley of that scale).

We are blessed to have thousands and thousands of miles of rivers, streams, creeks etc.

I've fished the lower section of this trib but never explored the upper section until that day. I had no idea that it opened up into one of the prettiest meadows I've ever seen and immediately when I saw it I was blown away.

Is it a secret? Only if you don't know about it.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I stumbled across a few streams like there here in Montana. You go looking for one place and find another one in the process. It's not hard to do that in Montana. If I can just keep that thought in my head. Maybe I'll see if I can find it again this year.