Idiots and fireworks.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Gotcha, that's at the Solstice Wood Fire Pizza - Cafe & Bar in Hood River..? I use to live/work in Washington state but since relocated/retired back to Ontario, Canada but luv the area, looking forward to returning for vacation. I'll have to make a point of stopping in there. I assume the pizza with cherries on it is a seasonal offering only..
Good catch SnoPro!

Yup, that’s the place. Down by the river so a cool place to hang to. I think they are like half dehydrated so it is somewhat seasonal.
Pro tip: usually a bit of a wait but hood river doesn’t have an open bottle law. Grab a bottle of beer from Pfreim next door and enjoy that on the waterfront while you wait.

And speaking of seasonal pizza in hood river, don’t miss out on the heirloom pizza at double mountain in the fall. Just don’t drink more than 2 of their beers.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I had my construction company, if we were working in town, the ordinance said quite time was 10-7. Our equipment fired up at 7:01 everyday. The only people that got pissed were the people who partied and kept the whole neighborhood up all night. Everyone else had jobs, too, and didn't notice.
Yeah I live out in the sticks, no restrictions here, and it was November. If they are going to get a full day in they have to start when it gets light. They have their kids on the school lunch program, that ought to preclude fireworks purchases IMO. Anyway I'm glad that we don't have the usual spate of wildfires this year, it rained here the day after, just a bit.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Vancouver city limits outlawed fireworks period. Greatest thing that is. Yet still heard some that night. Read there were 700 plus complaints reported county wide. The fireworks at the fort did not happen for various reasons. I went in 76 to the fort for the big ones a bunch of times . The tone for me was set by some 4th events though and it effected my attitude because of effing crazy stupid drunk people. In 76 my wife and I were down close by the gazebos when you could get front row spots. Damn teenage kids . One threw a kfirecracker under some grandmas lawn chair and damn near scared her to death. That was upsetting. She was having discomfort and a group of us got the emerg folks attention to help her as the police were having a talk with the teen and his less than happy looking entourage. Another event years later when the whole large gov mandated apartment complex lined up with chairs and a sheet ton of fireworks that i found strange for the dozens of low income folks to afford. Couldn’t feed their kids well but sure as hell could buy hundreds of fireworks… this was 50’ fom my front door every effing year for 34 years i owned that place. Me in the front yard with my hose to spray down everything, smoldering fireworks on my roof… the next day did these turds clean up the street? Nope. It was my July 5th regimen. I did not yell at the clouds. There were more events over the years. I am not a fireworks fan at all. I used to enjoy the fourth at the fort though . The big one.

It's almost as if making laws and not enforcing them creates a lawless culture. Amazing.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter

It's almost as if making laws and not enforcing them creates a lawless culture. Amazing.
In Vancouver it is sop. For various reasons. Buried judicial, understaffed police and sheriffs depts, needing absolute proof. Policy adjustments…always a work in progress. Inconsistent emphasis. Theft explosion- homelessness- easy stuff first, as if easy stuff existed when it comes to prosecutions and incarceration or citations

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In Vancouver it is sop. For various reasons. Buried judicial, understaffed police and sheriffs depts, needing absolute proof. Policy adjustments…always a work in progress. Inconsistent emphasis. Theft explosion- homelessness- easy stuff first, as if easy stuff existed when it comes to prosecutions and incarceration or citations

Lots of that going around these days. Why pay taxes?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Because they would really notice that and it would suck to get “noticed”

That's for certain. The Japanese say the nail which sticks up gets hit. Probably applies with tax evasion. But honestly I see taxes as a social contract. Not payment for goods and services per say but if I'm paying them one of my expectations is some reasonable effort to enforce rule of law in a meaningful sensible manner. This contract is broken, and not on my end.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That's for certain. The Japanese say the nail which sticks up gets hit. Probably applies with tax evasion. But honestly I see taxes as a social contract. Not payment for goods and services per say but if I'm paying them one of my expectations is some reasonable effort to enforce rule of law in a meaningful sensible manner. This contract is broken, and not on my end.
Perhaps its not the taxes you pay but the taxes others don't pay that is the problem?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Perhaps its not the taxes you pay but the taxes others don't pay that is the problem?

Or it could be the way those funds are spent. Either way, I'm keeping my end. Someone else isn't keeping theirs. We could always dissolve the deal and go back to Mad Max and the natural selection process but I don't think most people are into that, myself included as much as I fantasize about wearing leather underwear cruising the desert for beer and gas.

By the way, I'm a flat tax guy. A raw percent we all pay up on. Simple? Yes. I like simple.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Or it could be the way those funds are spent. Either way, I'm keeping my end. Someone else isn't keeping theirs. We could always dissolve the deal and go back to Mad Max and the natural selection process but I don't think most people are into that, myself included as much as I fantasize about wearing leather underwear cruising the desert for beer and gas.

By the way, I'm a flat tax guy. A raw percent we all pay up on. Simple? Yes. I like simple.
Since you generalized with the mad max reference. Too many with money to make money believe in that way of operating

Pescaphile

Steelhead
Those dewberries are really really good but my favorite native wild berry is thimbleberry. They are so soft though I don’t think they’d be best for pie but I bet it would taste good, might just not hold up. Anyone ever done this or seen it done?
Thimbleberry jam is pretty popular in SE AK. It's good but so fibrous it's almost gritty.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thimbleberry jam is pretty popular in SE AK. It's good but so fibrous it's almost gritty.
In Sw wa it is tough going to get enough thimbleberries for a batch . I have made thimbleberry, dewberry, wild strawberry, Oregon grape, wild mullberry, salmonberry, ( almost tasteless)crabapple, red and blue wild huckleberry, garden huckleberry( not great) blue elderberry, red current, tomato jams and jellys. A food mill is essential for oregon grape and elderberry as well as larger seeded fruits and berries. The biggest surprise were dewberries and oregon grape which was seedy as hell but had a almost musty backnote to its flavor… quite exotic

kerrys

Ignored Member
Tried growing them… cane borers
My grandmother grew them. This was in southern Oregon. There are cane borers there but her berries did well. Best gooseberry pie I ever had. It was also the only gooseberry pie I ever had.

We tried growing them but I don’t think northwest Washington is good for gooseberries.