Idiots and fireworks.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It’s 10:07 and some asshole has decided to set off some loud fireworks. It not even the 4th yet. Is this really about patriotism?
same here. 1:30 in the freakin' morning of NOT July 4 and there are a few fireworks going off already. wtf?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Has this ever NOT been the case?
Do you guys not recall being young, with the miraculous access to actual explosives once a year?
Geez, I'm not even a guy, and I certainly played with fireworks all week around the 4th when I was a kid!
(And by "kid" I mean under 30 😝)
Man yells at clouds.
You two, get off my lawn!!!!

:LOL: :LOL:

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My neighbors do this every year. And they buy enough to randomly do it at drunken parties throughout the year. Yet when I had my roof resurfaced, she had the nerve to give me shit because they started at 7:30 in the morning. She called me an asshole, which is probably true, but I found it ironic anyway.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I've never been bothered by firework noise too much except to the extent that they scare my pets or are going off at unreasonable hours. And I give a lot of leeway to that "unreasonable" definition (at least on the 4th and New Year's). I've spent my whole life adjacent to tribal reservations, so fireworks have always been available. I'm not going to lie, I see the allure of "blowing shit up". There was a time in my life when that was really fun and I've got the memories to prove it. I'm not saying that it was a good idea, I just see the allure. Lots of stuff in life has an allure even if it's not so smart to do. Anyone who has ever drank until they puked can tell you that.

That said, I also think that little fireworks are stupid and dangerous and kind of inexcusable in this day and age of high wildfire danger (okay, maybe not this year). Too many idiots lose fingers and houses and all sorts of things because of them. I personally know people who have accidentally caused small but serious wildfires with fireworks. And so, we don't really do any little fireworks at my house and nobody does them much in my in-town neighborhood. Are my kids missing something? I suppose. But maybe they are also learning to be kind to their neighbors and not risk burning things down for their own amusement.

I do LOVE big fireworks though. One of my bucket list items is to somehow end up on one of the launch barges to watch a show and how it's set off.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
@Northern sort of hit the nail on the head - when I was a kid (a few weeks ago now), the Fourth of July was a time of blowing up stuff at the Dean's place on Sequim Bay. And yes, sometimes stupid played a role in what we kids did. Mitch B (not MattB) had to go to the hospital for holding onto a 2" salute, I wonder if his thumb ever fully recovered?

Anymore, my curmudgeonly ways take over, I don't like the noise and I really don't like how the noise frightens so many pets. Oh well. It is what it is, que sera sera. Happy 4th of July. Strawberry rhubarb pie.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Has this ever NOT been the case?
Do you guys not recall being young, with the miraculous access to actual explosives once a year?
Geez, I'm not even a guy, and I certainly played with fireworks all week around the 4th when I was a kid!
(And by "kid" I mean under 30 😝)
No. Having been around and used firearms all my life (including a stint in the Marine Corps) I wasn't all that fascinated with loud noises or blowing things up. I don't have any urges to eat Tide pods either. Guess I'm just a deeply flawed human being.

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Bottle Rocket wars and firecracker battles were fun....When I was 13-15...

Had some epic battles, including hitting the enemy armament storage with a barrage of bottle rockets, causing a huge conflagration of various fireworks going off in all directions. Surprised that didnt get someone hur.

Then there was a firecracker battle inside a moving car coming back from the rez on I 5.
That was probably 1974, the other cars on he freeway were pretty horrified, as traffic was slow and backed up, giving anyone who dared a good look at kids throwing firecrackers at each other while driving up the freeway.