Grundens Waders?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm devising a contraption that uses clear tubing, a hose clamp, and an old juice jug. Field testing commences pretty soon...
Got a diagram? I’m kinda curious where the hose clamp goes.

Millsfly

Steelhead
ok, for reals....I have the zip fronts

My caveat to waders is that they're all going to leak sometime, somewhere

BUT

These things are the real deal. I've been running them for 2 months with zero issues in fit, wearability is great and at 6-8, 290 it's hard to find clothing, let alone waders that fit right. Tons of pockets, etc as well. Only different thing is that the shoulder straps are static and dont have a ton of give

As for experience in waders, they did hire a bunch of guys who were wader developers from other wader makers in Bozeman (wink wink)

I have a bunch of the other gear and I love all of it

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I guess when you open up Grunden's website, cookies get you on their email list (?) - it seems I'm getting several emails a day with this new product or that new product from them. This morning my in-basket had and ad for their "new bags". The product I'm interested in is their 30L Rumrunner backpack - both colors are out of stock. Patience Grasshopper.
I've been eyeballing that bag as well. Looks pretty damn sweet. Work'n'more shows it as 'available in 14 day(s)'.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I've been eyeballing that bag as well. Looks pretty damn sweet. Work'n'more shows it as 'available in 14 day(s)'.
I hiked into a lake this morning, it was 39F when I shut off the truck, grabbed my fly rods and shouldered my cheap Costco backpack. It was about 60F, windless and sunny at 1:00 when I decided to head home: warm. My cheap backpack was bulging with my heavy sweater, jacket, (buff - I admit it) so a bit bigger pack would be nice and waterproof would be handy sometimes.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
This is why I am excited Grundens is hopping into the FF market. Below are the specifications from their wading boots. With their history, I imagine there will be much more consideration for saltwater fly fisherman when selecting their components.

AF113B31-2256-4B86-A5BD-8DBDF3CC522A.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Wait until folks finally figure out how to pee while wading in the sound while wearing stripping basket without coming ashore......... ;)
SF
There is a way, glue your basket permanently to your wader, then drill a hole to install a screw cap plug. Some of you wear your basket low at this level anyways, it would be very discreet :)

Last edited:

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Got out for a few hours today - I like them for summer/fall waders. They fit that niche. Lightweight, breathable, hike-friendly, solid zipper that goes down far enough, easy to move around in and kneel, surprisingly good belt. Interesting gravel guards - just stretchy neoprene that I thought wouldn't drain, but they do. I like that they are GoreTex for finding blackberry pinholes. They seem as solid as anything else for the stupid price.

The velcro shoulder strap adjuster thing is a complete proprietary pain in the ass, but that's really my only complaint. Once you adjust it, you're good. Straps are comfy.

Do they have what it takes to cover a few seasons? We'll see.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
All the pros are going with catheters. I think Billy is working on something for the article section.
This is probably a joke but when I was doing a lot of deep technical diving, wrecks and such in a dry suit, we used pee-valves and 'Texas catheters'. They went on OK but were agony to get off. And there were the occasional kinked hoses that result in a peesplosion, usually in the first 15min of a multi-hour dive.

Only $190 right here if you want to add one https://www.diveaddicts.com/product/pee-valve/

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is probably a joke but when I was doing a lot of deep technical diving, wrecks and such in a dry suit, we used pee-valves and 'Texas catheters'. They went on OK but were agony to get off. And there were the occasional kinked hoses that result in a peesplosion, usually in the first 15min of a multi-hour dive.

Only $190 right here if you want to add one https://www.diveaddicts.com/product/pee-valve/
That must have been a long time ago, because now we have these - https://thirstygoose.co/

Reactions: Zak

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party

I was joking but my dad did have a trout fishing book and the author mentioned using a catheter to stay out in their float tube.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Got out for a few hours today - I like them for summer/fall waders. They fit that niche.
I'm curious about the "summer/fall wader" thing. Is it a durability thing, or are you relying on waders themselves to keep you warm in winter/spring?

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm curious about the "summer/fall wader" thing. Is it a durability thing, or are you relying on waders themselves to keep you warm in winter/spring?
They have a lightweight feel for getting around or hiking the trails but also feel durable enough to take some licks. I like to travel light and never carry a pack. - they have a good amount of pocket space for a box and spool and what have you. I was specifically looking for something to fill in for the few months between wet wading season and full on winter. Definitely not relying on these to provide any sort of warmth, although I'm sure they are fine if you know how to layer properly for the cold season. They would definitely work year round, but come December, or possibly a little sooner, it's bootfoot time for me. Until then, these fit the Septober bill.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
They have a lightweight feel for getting around or hiking the trails but also feel durable enough to take some licks. I like to travel light and never carry a pack. - they have a good amount of pocket space for a box and spool and what have you. I was specifically looking for something to fill in for the few months between wet wading season and full on winter. Definitely not relying on these to provide any sort of warmth, although I'm sure they are fine if you know how to layer properly for the cold season. They would definitely work year round, but come December, or possibly a little sooner, it's bootfoot time for me. Until then, these fit the Septober bill.
Thank you for the detailed reply and the review. It’s always interesting to learn how other folks approach the sport.

J

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I dig Grundens. Sport Co is about 30 minute drive for me and when I get to go I always check out the Grundens stuff. My thermals I think are 3 seasons in, and are not showing any signs of needing replacement. Sportco is a very dangerous place for me to go.

As far as relieving ourselves while wearing waders. I am NOT the person to advise on that. River side accidents have happened no matter how hard I have tried. Next time as long as its summer im just gonna strip down bare ass.

Edit: and bring gloves and soap