Grundens Waders?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Speaking of non-zip waders.....I'm surprised how many people need to take off their jackets in order to pee while wearing them, especially when it is raining hard..... :ROFLMAO:
SF
If you’ve got tips for how to unclip and drop waders, and access the business parts, then redo everything, without unzipping the coat I’d love to learn them. When I’m out in the rain, my coat covers everything.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Speaking of non-zip waders.....I'm surprised how many people need to take off their jackets in order to pee while wearing them, especially when it is raining hard..... :ROFLMAO:
SF
Simms waders the should strap buckles clip together so you can just pull the front down without taking your jacket off. Really no different than zippered waders.

I too am interested in these Grundens. Nice to see some new options pop up on the market lately. I'm willing to pay for good gear, but will probably wait for some real world reviews.

Now if somebody would start making good bootfoot waders again!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If you’ve got tips for how to unclip and drop waders, and access the business parts, then redo everything, without unzipping the coat I’d love to learn them. When I’m out in the rain, my coat covers everything.

Your jacket stays on but it does need to be unzipped. Don’t take your jacket off!
You may need to take off your wading belt, but I rarely even do that anymore.
The jacket will hold the wader straps on over your shoulders. Pull the front of your waders down, do your business, connect the straps again and zip up your jacket. With practice, you can accomplish this also without removing slings, chest packs, vests etc.
There you have it….peeing 101 while wearing non zip waders. ;)
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Your jacket stays on but it does need to be unzipped. Don’t take your jacket off!
The jacket will hold the wader straps on over your shoulders. Pull the front of your waders down, do your business, connect the straps again and zip up your jacket. With practice, you can accomplish this also without removing slings, chest packs etc.
SF
Please post video tutorial

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The jacket will hold the wader straps on over your shoulders. Pull the front of your waders down, do your business, connect the straps again and zip up your jacket. With practice, you can accomplish this also without removing slings, chest packs, vests etc.
SF
Sounds complicated. Bill's modified every set of waders I've had since I found him. Much easier to send him my waders, use a backup pair, and get them back a few days later.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Sounds complicated. Bill's modified every set of waders I've had since I found him. Much easier to send him my waders, use a backup pair, and get them back a few days later.

Only complicated to those who have to take off their jacket to pee….😂
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
So you're saying he could install it just above my knee, then?
Not sure if you're bragging or complaining, but you don't need a zipper. Just tug it over the top of your waders and go. Doesn't get more efficient than that!

Zak

Legend
Have you stood in rivers with water above the zipper line for extended periods of time and the zipper did not leak?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Have you stood in rivers with water above the zipper line for extended periods of time and the zipper did not leak?
Yes. It’s a SCUBA dry suit zipper, rated to something like 200’ under water.

One of my waders has a few hundred fishing sessions with the zipper installed, and the zipper is still going strong. Call it 300 hours of time underwater, with a number of uses commensurate with a 4-cups-of-coffee-a-day habit.

Reactions: Zak

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Wait until folks finally figure out how to pee while wading in the sound while wearing stripping basket without coming ashore......... ;)
SF

We need this solution. Being in my mid 40’s I can still do 5-6 hour stretch without taking a piss with no issues depending on the liquids consumed that morning. Places like PNP are going to be a problem though as my years progress. To many people of mixed company milling about and not enough cover :).

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Only complicated to those who have to take off their jacket to pee….😂
SF
Patagonia waders (some of them) don't have clips for some ridiculously stupid cost cutting measure....so you have to take your jacket off to do your fluid evacuation. Totally screws the whole 'leave your jacket on when you pee' process.

I don't wear those when it's raining.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
We need this solution. Being in my mid 40’s I can still do 5-6 hour stretch without taking a piss with no issues depending on the liquids consumed that morning. Places like PNP are going to be a problem though as my years progress. To many people of mixed company milling about and not enough cover :).

It can be complicated when others are around for sure. It will be worse this summer with all the humpy hunters.
At less crowded beaches and while waded way out without wanting to come to shore to do your business, you can use the stripping basket to your advantage if homes are nearby.
Think of your stripping basket as the equivalent of a car door to block the view of the task your are accomplishing....... ;)
SF

SSPey

loco alto!
I wish Grunden’s luck. It is good to have choices. I remember when Cloudveil stuck their toe in the wader game, they had an excellent product, but couldn’t keep up with the cost of repairs and bailed.

For me, I won’t be trying these Grunden’s unless they make the XL and bigger wader booties sized up to 14. Squeezed toes are cold toes, no bueno

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Patagonia waders (some of them) don't have clips for some ridiculously stupid cost cutting measure....so you have to take your jacket off to do your fluid evacuation. Totally screws the whole 'leave your jacket on when you pee' process.

I don't wear those when it's raining.

Well that sucks.
Obvious design flaw for not thinking of the folks needing to pee without removing their jacket. ;)
SF