Durable Waders

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Actually wet wading involves no waders at all. Gotta keep them 'swimmers' alive.

I meant that if I didn't have waders on (ie. wet wading), I would be tempted to swim across and hit all the other spots that I can't get to, with waders on. I've done it before!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I meant that if I didn't have waders on (ie. wet wading), I would be tempted to swim across and hit all the other spots that I can't get to, with waders on. I've done it before!
That's awesome. The Tuc has lots of spots where you can't go on in winter, but in summer it's no issue. You just can't get out, and it's over your head deep!
Sorry you had the bad experience with the reddingtons. I got those escapes, partly because you liked them if I recall correctly, as well as others. I've got around 150 stream and lake days in them and they are doing well. I had to patch 4 smalls holes just below the belt in back where I fell on onto a stick, then my ass, with the felt soles on the Tuc in the snow. The knees are OK still but I do want some pads. Maybe you just drew double lemons this time, maybe worth another try? I don't know, sounds like they left a bad taste in your mouth kinda thing.

I have both a pair of G3 and Dryft waders and try and alternate trips in them. My opinion is that no wader has a magic construction that prevents leaking, its gonna happen at some point. Finding a wader that fits well is the important part, so when you squat, move, take them on or off, you arent causing weird stretching or stress. One reason i like simms so much is that they have so many different sizes. I also like my Dyft waders, not as many size options but the size i got fits pretty well, a little baggier but not too much. My wife and both live in out waders when we do the grande ronde trip which often involves lots of jumping out of the raft to pull it through shallow areas or getting the raft off a rock etc. i have not had to use customer service at all for either company and would probably try and go through my fly shop before contacting the company directly.

Shad

Life of the Party
Waders are the expense that frustrates me most in all of fishing, and that's saying something. I can't seem to stay dry for much longer than 2 years in anything I've had. Indeed, as I write this, the left leg in my current waders is essentially a wetsuit when I wade, because there is so much water leaking through the worn stockingfeet (can't be repaired and is the most common way my waders have failed).

Most of my experience is with waders at or slightly above the price range you cited, and I have been disappointed in most of them. I'm not the best at taking care of them, but I'm far from the worst, so I've decided they just kind of suck in general. I know deep down I need to suck it up and buy the guide model Simms if I want better durability, but I just can't do it. I couldn't do it back when they cost $500; I bet they're close to $1000 by now....

I've been thinking about going to wading pants for a while now. I think they would suit my fishing needs just fine and be more comfortable in general than chest waders, especially in warmer weather. The thing I'm a little hesitant about is giving up the added protection from rain (and added warmth) that chest waders provide on a typical day of steelheading in Western Washington. Of course, now that winter steelhead fishing is all but dead, that's probably not as much of a concern anymore.... If you go that route, let us know how you like them!

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
That's awesome. The Tuc has lots of spots where you can't go on in winter, but in summer it's no issue. You just can't get out, and it's over your head deep!
Sorry you had the bad experience with the reddingtons. I got those escapes, partly because you liked them if I recall correctly, as well as others. I've got around 150 stream and lake days in them and they are doing well. I had to patch 4 smalls holes just below the belt in back where I fell on onto a stick, then my ass, with the felt soles on the Tuc in the snow. The knees are OK still but I do want some pads. Maybe you just drew double lemons this time, maybe worth another try? I don't know, sounds like they left a bad taste in your mouth kinda thing.
The depth of the pools in that little crick can be shocking for sure.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
The depth of the pools in that little crick can be shocking for sure.
That's the river that almost took me several winters ago. I'm more careful and plan approaches more these days. Catch more fish too. Taken several initial fish where I think want to stand. Your on the right track, being a new dad, @jaredoconnor . My son gave up his motorcycles.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Thread Drift: Felts, wet - then walking in snow. You keep getting taller as more and more snow adheres to the wet felt. Suddenly one boot loses your snow load and that leg is six inches shorter than the other. I hate felts when there’s snow along the river.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Here is my experience with breathable waders over the last 30 years or so.

Hodgmans 2 pairs each lasted a couple months of heavy use.

Simms gortex guide waders. 4 pairs each lasted 3-5 years with moderate to heavy use.

Redington, first generation sonics, leaked out of the box used them anyway for a year.

First pair of g 3s 4 years of moderate use mouse ate a whole in them

On my second pair of G3s now. Been two years with only light use, no issues.

I will only buy simms. I don't need a warranty, I need products that don't need warranties.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
More Thread Drift: Felts, wet, 20F. Walk a short distance, felts freeze. Use extreme caution when stepping onto a steep rocky slope with frozen felts. (Don’t ask how I know.). (At least I didn’t break my Sage.)

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
More Thread Drift: Felts, wet, 20F. Walk a short distance, felts freeze. Use extreme caution when stepping onto a steep rocky slope with frozen felts. (Don’t ask how I know.). (At least I didn’t break my Sage.)
That's how I ended up on my bottom.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I used to wear waist highs in the summer time when I lived in Washington. I also tried them in the winter time. I was fishing where the Suiattle runs into the Sauk. There is/was a sand bar there. My one foot got tangled with a stick in the sand and down I went. I had the waist highs clinched up tight. No water on my legs but got soaked above the waders.

These were Hodgman's waist highs They also worked well on a float tube. But they leaked in the crotch. Found out when I waded across Pilchuck Creek. My boys got soaked. Took them back to Teds and got a new pair. They leaked in the same place. I swore off waist highs for good.

Now I just try to fish when it's warm outside. I gave up on winter time fishing, because it is below freezing here almost 9 months of the year. I get colder quicker in my old age.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Thread Drift: Felts, wet - then walking in snow. You keep getting taller as more and more snow adheres to the wet felt. Suddenly one boot loses your snow load and that leg is six inches shorter than the other. I hate felts when there’s snow along the river.
They don't work very good in mud either. Fell on my ass on the N/F Stilly when I stepped on some.

wetline dave

Steelhead
Does anyone have any experience with Allan waders or maybe Allen? The price seems to be reasonable and what I looked at seemed OK..

Dave

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey @wetline dave,

Just bought a pair of the Allen Waders, at Bi Mart, in October. Only been out once in them but I have to say, I am impressed with the price and what you get for that price.

My Allens are my backup waders, to my high dollar Patagonias. I plan to use the Allens where I have to trudge through nasty bankside vegetation. I figure for $80.00, even if I get only one year out of them, its saves me the involved headache of sending in my Patties, for repair. Last Spring, it took 3 months for my old pair of Patties, to even get looked at. Patagonia then told they couldnt be fixed. Thus no waders for three months. Total drag.

Ive been using Patagonia Waders for 35 plus years. In that time of hard fishing, Im only on my third pair. Patagonia honors their warranty or they give a discount on your next pair. I will always have Patagonia Waders, as long as they stay the course with customer service. However, I am not going to experience another 3 month wait time on repairs, enter the Allen Waders.

Cabelas used to be my go to for hunting/fishing Neoprenes but they are awful proud of them. $300.00 ish is a little too much IMHO. The Allens are about 1/3 the cost.

Hit me up with any other questions, if you wish.

Happy 2023

Bob

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Does anyone have any experience with Allan waders or maybe Allen? The price seems to be reasonable and what I looked at seemed OK..

Dave
I have a pair of their nylon boot foot hip waders from the bi-mart store. They have held up for several years of 3-6 time a year use. We had a pair of rubber hippers in the survey work truck in case we needed something quick and they always worked when needed. They are what they are supposed to be I would say.

Last edited:

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I've been getting emails from them almost daily, I think their site got hacked or some such thing.
I was in the local fly shop Saturday and tried on a Dryft wading jacket.
The proprietor informed me the Dryft headquarters is located in Bellingham Wa.
Learned something new. He told me He could get Dryft to deliver items to the shop to try on before purchasing. Pretty
good service imho.

Florida Man

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I bought a pair of Orvis Silver Sonic waders and warrantied them out 3x. Each pair leaked on my first outing. I figured if I wader is going to leak, that I might as well not spend a lot of money on it. I have been using a pair of Bass Pro Shops Redhead waders for probably close to 8 years now and they are still going strong. Durable, cheap, and haven't had water intrusion like I did in the Orvis waders. I think I paid $75-$100 for them and have hundreds of days in them.