Durable Waders

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
And something else to abrade your waders, maybe
I understand the concern. I've been using some sort of external kneepads for knee-wader protection since 2010, and the longer neoprene knee-shin-wader protection since 2018 for freshwater (in pre wet-wading temps), and saltwater with no abrasion on waders, yet good protection from thorns and even stumbling into unseen beaver "tailings" in chest high grass that likely would have punctured my waders and my skin.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I am considering wading pants, because it will force me to not take risks. While my dad was here, I did a lot of really dumb things, because I let him have all the good water and could only really fish all the spots that he couldn't get to. Is this a dumb idea? As much as I would like to think that self control is the optimal solution, I'm not exactly a paragon of discipline.

Divad

Whitefish
I’ve been through 6 or 7 Simms waders, 2 Orvis and one Redington. Also with my old job I used to try a lot of Simms waders due to the outfitter deal. Orvis feel the best but the crotch gussets wear out faster.

About 50% of Freestone waders I have seen have their chest zipper fail after a few months. But on-sale at $250 is hard to beat, decent warranty and feature-set, made in Vietnam.

The Black Friday deal on the Simms Tributary waders was a steal! People got them for $110, I should have picked up a pair just to have around.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
...I let him have all the good water and could only really fish all the spots that he couldn't get to.
I too applaud your actions! I'm at an age that I can't reach all the "good water" I used to. But I try to increase the amount of good water I can reach by trying to be as stealthy as I can, and still do OK for now even with the avg. 18'-22' reach of my T-rods. But to get back on track with this thread...
My Redington zip chest waders and pant waders from STP have both held up a very long time. The wader gaiters have surely helped. A recent encounter with thorns put a line of pin-hole punctures along the thigh of my pant waders but a quick repair with Aquaseal and they're OK. I am bookmarking some posts in this thread and the Dryft Thread below from October because I may need replacements soon.
So I need to finally replace my last pair of cheap Caddis Waders and I'm willing to spend a little more money on a new pair. I have patched the heck out of my Caddis waders over the last few years and even patched some patches. It's just time....
Jim

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@jaredoconnor,

Would you be kind enough to share the make/model of those slip on kneepad deals? I may be interested in somehting like that.

Thank you for any and all help.

Merry Christmas.

Bob

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Would you be kind enough to share the make/model of those slip on kneepad deals? I may be interested in somehting like that.
The Tenkara-Ya staff speaks English and everyone I know who have purchased from them has been pleased with the service and shipping.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm also curious as to what the "most durable" consensus is these days, since my G3's are on the way out. I've had them since 2015, and average 50+ days on them a year. I've taken plenty of spills in the river, hiked through blackberries on the west side, and sage brush on the east side, and they have held up. Honestly, I think most of the abrasion is on the inside from taking them on and off and walking in them. My gut says to just go with Simms again, but I don't know what the difference between the G3 and "Guide Classic's" are. Simms might be a good option until they start slashing production costs.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I am considering wading pants, because it will force me to not take risks. While my dad was here, I did a lot of really dumb things, because I let him have all the good water and could only really fish all the spots that he couldn't get to. Is this a dumb idea? As much as I would like to think that self control is the optimal solution, I'm not exactly a paragon of discipline.
If you're ever in the Lynnwood area an want to try out a pair of wading pants hit me up. I've got a pair and I love them, especially for beach fishing PS where I rarely wade past the tops of my boots. More than happy to loan them out if you want to give them a test drive.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

A long these lines--I forgot my wading belt when I was out last weekend, and it DEFINITELY caused me to wade much more carefully.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I am still a fan of Redington SonicPro. Not all Redington, stick to the SonicPro and you will be in good shape IMO. And obviously make sure they fit and you don’t hear fabric rubbing noises when you walk.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I am still a fan of Redington SonicPro. Not all Redington, stick to the SonicPro and you will be in good shape IMO. And obviously make sure they fit and you don’t hear fabric rubbing noises when you walk.

Customer service is part of the price, otherwise we would all be buying waders for a fraction of the cost. I could buy another pair of Redington Escape waders and I have no doubt they would perform as well as the last pair. However, I can't give more money to a company that failed a basic customer service issue that badly.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If you're ever in the Lynnwood area an want to try out a pair of wading pants hit me up. I've got a pair and I love them, especially for beach fishing PS where I rarely wade past the tops of my boots. More than happy to loan them out if you want to give them a test drive.

Thanks for the offer! I have used a few wading pants before and briefly owned a pair of my own, so I roughly know how they work. I was mostly wanting input on the idea of using them as an intentional limit on wading.

I did some really dumb and dangerous things, last summer. When fishing is going bad or I think a trophy is within reach, I get reckless. Call it trout fever. You would think that a crazy knee bruise and torn waders would teach me a lesson. I went straight back out the next weekend and dislocated a finger. The following weekend, I nearly got swept away. Clearly, I am not to be trusted. 😂

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wear nature's best waders. Go wet wading and that will solve many issues you are having.

I do from May to September, for the most part.

Regarding waders....I'm still playing in some Patagonia SST's if anyone remembers those...going after many many years but expecting that wet feeling any day now...Had some Orvis waders before and they were an 8 plus year pair. I was harder on them than the SST's and they held up fine and were actually a tad bit more comfortable. Cant remember the name but want to say Silver Label or Silver Endura or something like that. Before those I wore Hodgemans, Red Ball or Bell, and others of similar price point, those never did that well over the long term, usually broke down within a couple of years. I always go with Simms boots, but thats just me.