Durable Waders

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I've been a huge fan of Redington waders, for many years. However, I recently had a horrendous customer service experience and I won't be buying anything from Far Bank ever again. I did eventually find someone that could approve a full refund, but getting there was a lengthy and infuriating labyrinth of incompetence and apathy.

I'm in the market for a new pair of waders and durability is my top concern, because I don't treat my gear delicately. My budget is $300. I've never had a bad experience with Simms, but I've never had an amazing one either. They are my default option, but I am curious about recent experiences with Orvis, Patagonia or any of the various smaller companies.

If anyone has any success or failure stories to share, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I've been a huge fan of Redington waders, for many years. However, I recently had a horrendous customer service experience and I won't be buying anything from Far Bank ever again. I did eventually find someone that could approve a full refund, but getting there was a lengthy and infuriating labyrinth of incompetence and apathy.

I'm in the market for a new pair of waders and durability is my top concern, because I don't treat my gear delicately. My budget is $300. I've never had a bad experience with Simms, but I've never had an amazing one either. They are my default option, but I am curious about recent experiences with Orvis, Patagonia or any of the various smaller companies.

If anyone has any success or failure stories to share, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Bummer - I've had nothing but good service from Redington but then, it's been maybe pre-Covid. Here's some: https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/ind...ibutary-waders-size-medium-9-11-booties.3718/

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Bummer - I've had nothing but good service from Redington but then, it's been maybe pre-Covid.

I've bought a lot of gear from Far Bank brands, over a period of about 15 years. I only had great experiences and was a bit of a fanboy. However, this recent encounter was so bad that my goodwill has completely evaporated. It is genuinely astonishing how fast a few terrible employees did this.

For context, a pair of brand new waders were leaking at the seams after two very light uses. The seams were probably always bad; I didn't wade deep enough for water to get in, until the second outing. The amount of nonsense that I had to go through, to reach a resolution, was unbelievable. Had they been reasonable and immediately provided me with replacements, I would have happily taken them and remained a loyal customer. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Something not quite right with Far Bank. Read things and it includes words like 'revamping' and 'streamlining', etc. To many stories the past couple years of terrible customer service, reports of drop in detail of craftsmanship on some rods, etc. Think it comes down to FB trying to maximize profits at the expense of the history Sage brand had built with its products and its business relationships with those in the industry, and mainly the fly shop dealers. You have to few asking how do we make a better product and give better service and more asking how can we save here and there, and make more money?
I don't know, maybe I'm just wrong

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Recommend you check out Aquaz Fishing. Full disclosure that I'm on the advisory staff, but I will say that the reason I am is because of the bang for the buck and quality of their waders. Check out the Rogue or Kenai Convertible - both under $300. I've beat up 2 pairs of their waders for over 3 years with no seam or leak issues. Even the blackberry thorns that punctured the thigh area on one hike seem to have magically sealed - I waded up to my waist the next day and didn't notice any leaks afterwards. No waders are perfect and the return policies may have changed, but I can't imagine that wader failure soon after purchase wouldn't be covered by any reputable reseller.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
My understanding is that the convertible nature of the Kenai's are why the price is higher. I think the Kenai's also have hand warmer pockets as well as the standard storage 'pouch'.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Back when I was in waders every single day, I had the best luck with Simms regarding durability. I know it's a boring take, but that was my experience. The sleeper for me was a pair of Cabelas that lasted a lot longer than I thought they would. That was many years ago though, so things have likely changed a bit.

Currently have both Simms and Patagonia and the Patagonia isn't my favorite. Not for durability reasons though so I won't comment on that unless you're interested. They've held up fine and are well built.

PS, I don't think Patagonia sells a pair of waders for under $300.

RCF

Life of the Party
There was a lot of positive discussion on Dryft waders last couple of years. Just went to their website. Are they now defunct?

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
There was a lot of positive discussion on Dryft waders last couple of years. Just went to their website. Are they now defunct?
I've been getting emails from them almost daily, I think their site got hacked or some such thing.

Reactions: RCF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
How many days on the water per year do you typically put in? I understand that this could be a little bit of personal question, but it's important. I've been using my Orvis Pros for the better part of 4 years (or whenever they came out) but that probably amounts to ~12-18 times per year since when I fish out of my float tubes, etc, I'm using waist highs plus I wet wade trout rivers pretty much from early May through at least early October (sometimes later). That said, the material of the Pros is top notch and able to withstand a beating in the underbrush.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Nice to hear that the current Orvis Pros are durable. I had a bad-luck pair many years ago, but based on reports my experience was the exception. And I will say that Orvis customer service is right up there with the best in the industry - they replaced mine no questions asked!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
@Billy got himself some Dryfts this year and has been very happy with them from his ravings to Josh and I. He planned to do a writeup about them for our gear reviews section at some point, but I'm sure he can chime in here.

I love Simms a lot, but stick to their USA made stuff. If you're going for the $300 mark, I think you'll have a hard time beating something like Dryft or Aquaz.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dryfts are ok for the price. But if you have to send them in, forget it. They wouldn't even look at mine, citing "mold". Before I mailed them to Dryft, I cleaned them, I checked them, I made sure they were good to send - looked brand new on the inside and out. Received them back and looked again - no mold. Bummer, because I wanted to get behind that small company.

Kind of over Simms.

Ordered Orvis Pro Zips, and they seem really tough. They have removable kneepads and are layered pretty heavy.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
How many days on the water per year do you typically put in? I understand that this could be a little bit of personal question, but it's important. I've been using my Orvis Pros for the better part of 4 years (or whenever they came out) but that probably amounts to ~12-18 times per year since when I fish out of my float tubes, etc, I'm using waist highs plus I wet wade trout rivers pretty much from early May through at least early October (sometimes later). That said, the material of the Pros is top notch and able to withstand a beating in the underbrush.

Days per year is hard to estimate now, with the baby. In any case, I'm not sure it's a good metric; I am probably far more injury prone than most.

What I can say is that my Redington Escape waders survived about 4 bad falls that would have immediately caused leaks in any other pair of waders that I have owned, including some Simms and other Redington waders.

In general, my experience with Simms is that they're very comfortable and well designed, but not very durable. My experience with Redington is that they are not very comfortable or well designed, but the fabric is thick and they take a beating. That's what I'm looking for.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Ordered Orvis Pro Zips, and they seem really tough. They have removable kneepads and are layered pretty heavy.
Surprisingly, I'm a HUGE fan of something so simple as the kneepads....absolutely love them.

Days per year is hard to estimate now, with the baby. In any case, I'm not sure it's a good metric; I am probably far more injury prone than most.
Yep, totally get that...

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised at this point with my O Pros, the seams of the booties are what go out first with the glue failing eventually (hopefully it's another 4 years down the road).

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Dryfts are ok for the price. But if you have to send them in, forget it. They wouldn't even look at mine, citing "mold". Before I mailed them to Dryft, I cleaned them, I checked them, I made sure they were good to send - looked brand new on the inside and out. Received them back and looked again - no mold. Bummer, because I wanted to get behind that small company.

Kind of over Simms.

Surprisingly, I'm a HUGE fan of something so simple as the kneepads....absolutely love them.

I actually have separate kneepads that go over the waders. @Brian Miller recommended them. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they protect your legs and your waders. The obvious down side is that they might require adjustment now and then and it's an extra thing to put on.

1671128105820.jpeg

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I actually have separate kneepads that go over the waders. @Brian Miller recommended them. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they protect your legs and your waders. The obvious down side is that they might require adjustment now and then and it's an extra thing to put on.

View attachment 45129
And something else to abrade your waders, maybe. Good luck. Bummer to hear @DoesItFloat's dealings with Dryft.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I just bought a pair of the Aquaz zip up waders. Not many retailers in my area carry them and they were out of stock in my size going direct, but I found a pair at the shop down in little old Minam Oregon and they shipped them to me pronto. The reviews I read are stellar, and I read that they actually make a lot of the waders for other companies. They appear to be very well made and they fit well. Can wait to use them.

My old Reddington zipups were great for about six years but finally started to leak at the seams (I used them a lot in the pontoon and float tube - I’m thinking the seams get stressed from that). Otherwise they’ve been great, but I thought it was time to move on.