Non-Fly Dirtbags (and bank maggots) what are your fav weighted spinners?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Twitching jigs, tossing wee Dick Nites rigged as described, and sinking fly line and floating fly line presentations covers my entire salmon toolbox. I can't seem to dial in a spinner bite anywhere.
When in tributaries, I find twitching jigs to be far more effective. Spinners, for me, work best on bigger, slower water. So I get most my spinner work done on the Columbia. When fishing places like the Sandy, it's mostly a twitching game for me.

I am becoming pretty religious about my use of the First Strike spinners in the Coast Guard color. On more than a few trips on the Columbia going with friends throwing something else in different colors, I'd be hooking up frequently while they were scratch fishing. In early October on a trip last year, my two friends were 0 fish in to the day when I caught my 6th fish, which I bonked to be done for the day with my 2 fish limit. I gave them each one of my spinners to use, and they immediately started getting fish and limited out not long after.

So, color and/or profile can absolutely matter. Thankfully, where I spinner fish isn't very snaggy. So I can justify paying a few extra bucks for them.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Sickle hooks on spoons and spinners for me.
The rvrfshr spinner #5 with a purple mini hoochie in purple, gold body silver blade used to crush silvers anywhere I used it...for a couple of years it was the go to choice for spinners on coho. Probably still is, but not tossing many spinners these days.
Jig twitching on the coast is always fun...many good days in the boat doing that.
:)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
1691615451990.png1691615473841.png1691615501781.png1691615525316.png

Except I ironically don't seem to have any pics where I'm rocking the single point hook I say I always use.

Divad

Whitefish
Watched a treble hook go into a guys ear at the Hood in high school. One of the points went in the inside lobe, bled like a sob. That image is burned into my brain.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Watched a treble hook go into a guys ear at the Hood in high school. One of the points went in the inside lobe, bled like a sob. That image is burned into my brain.
Had one go in behind my index finger knuckle and ran way under the skin all the way to the base of my finger last year fishing for lings. Was going to gaff a big ling for my friend and it shook the hook as its head came to the surface.

Handed my buddy the pliers and said go as fast as you can. I think it was more traumatizing for him than for me. I made use of the first aid kit then started fishing again a few minutes later.

Jagosh

Smolt
Just go here. Local guy, will chat in email or phone, you can even go visit him at times.

If he doesn’t have it, it’s not worth having.

Also, Tackle Time in Warrenton makes fantastic Jetty bombs built for that area.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Just go here. Local guy, will chat in email or phone, you can even go visit him at times.

If he doesn’t have it, it’s not worth having.

Also, Tackle Time in Warrenton makes fantastic Jetty bombs built for that area.
Problem with R&B are his lead times and stock issues. Plus, he doesn't make anything like my favorite spinners from First Strike (also local).

I used to use his spoons quite a bit, but after a few transactions gone awry, I moved on. Really nice guy I want to support, but i eventually moved on to the alternatives.

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Problem with R&B are his lead times and stock issues. Plus, he doesn't make anything like my favorite spinners from First Strike (also local).

I used to use his spoons quite a bit, but after a few transactions gone awry, I moved on. Really nice guy I want to support, but i eventually moved on to the alternatives.
This is my experience as well.

Jagosh

Smolt

Holy crap, First strike is actually what I meant! Glad we got this all cleared up and I had the same issue. Us dirtbags, I tell ya.

eazy-e

Smolt
nice stuff at the first strike lures website, its unfortunate they wont take a regular old fashion credit card for payment 🤨

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
nice stuff at the first strike lures website, its unfortunate they wont take a regular old fashion credit card for payment 🤨
They definitely do. I just went and double checked.