Non-Fly Dirtbags (and bank maggots) what are your fav weighted spinners?

cchinook45

Smolt
Forum Supporter
No idea what's available these days, but interested to follow this. Used to fish a lot of spinners for coho. "Old timer" status is officially awarded to anyone who remembers Metric and Bolo spinners being standard in the 70's.

Some gray dirtbag/fly area I like with spinners, besides similarities in presentation tactics, is customizing hooks with fly tying. Nothing new with that since Rooster Tails have been around. And more recently with hootchie spinners. Last time I fished a spinner was a Blue Fox from my found lure collection. Changed out the treble with a hootchie fly and got a fat chromer late run on it.

Come to think of it, custom lure mods could be a common ground topic with real potential for fly and gear idea sharing.
Those siwash hooks are useless , use sickle hooks , or trebels.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Don’t overlook unweighted spinners and lead for cast and retrieve salmon. Wicked lures with various sized inline sinkers 2-2.5’ above are super deadly. They fish really good and snag bottom a whole lot less. 3/8oz is a good starting point. Check ‘em out.

"Stole" some old pics of mine from a post on WFF. I had forgotten about Steelhead by Bud spinners.

All these were found, and modified. Looks like I murdered a hootchie to use as tying material:
View attachment 76134

Second to left caught this late run SWW silver:
View attachment 76135
Grabbed some marabou and flash and gave this a shot. Wish I had some shorter plumes.
IMG_1462.jpeg

Gonna give this its maiden voyage on the nehalem river in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Don’t overlook unweighted spinners and lead for cast and retrieve salmon. Wicked lures with various sized inline sinkers 2-2.5’ above are super deadly. They fish really good and snag bottom a whole lot less. 3/8oz is a good starting point. Check ‘em out.
Another brand to add to my list! Thank you!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Flash Glo
SF

headduck

Steelhead
I made a few tube streamers and ran spinner wire through them with beads and blade at the nose. Good for the troll.

Add an egg sinker, or spinner body of choice pretty good for the cast.

Still refining but prototypes were productive thus far.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Those siwash hooks are useless , use sickle hooks , or trebels.

Theyve worked OK for me. But yeah, never been a big fan of Siwash. I've got some killer saltwater fly hooks I'd love to use, but can't get a split ring through the eye. Might give those sickle hooks a shot though.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Theyve worked OK for me. But yeah, never been a big fan of Siwash. I've got some killer saltwater fly hooks I'd love to use, but can't get a split ring through the eye. Might give those sickle hooks a shot though.
I personally avoid trebles at all costs. They may initially grab better, but they don't hold nearly as well as a wider gap single point. I have lost a LOT of fish to trebles over the years.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Mustad had a pretty good hook for weighted casting spinners.
It was one of their UltraPoint models.
Just can’t remember the number at this time.
I’ve had good luck with the sickles as well.
SF

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I personally avoid trebles at all costs. They may initially grab better, but they don't hold nearly as well as a wider gap single point. I have lost a LOT of fish to trebles over the years.

Hate trebles. Just haven't been thrilled with Siwash as "the" single hook alternative back when I was still chucking a lot of spoons and spinners. Apparently there are more single hook options now.

Shad

Life of the Party
Go homemade if you can find good components. Otherwise, a Blue Fox is always a solid choice. Wicked Lures work awesome in some situations, but I hate dealing with the leaders when casting and fishing....

Rivrfishr spinners were always good, if expensive, when I was fishing a lot of spinners. Not sure if he's still at it, but he had good stuff, with solid components all around.

Heavy bodies (any color) and flat silver blades are my favorite salmon spinner. The flat silver finish is huge. The chrome finish on most commercial silver spinners reflects black in the water... not always a bad thing, but generally not what you want when chasing new, aggressive fish.

But yeah... in most cases, a Blue Fox gets it done. As a bonus, the bigger sizes come with an appropriately-balanced single hook, which takes away the mystery of matching spinner and hook sizes....

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So again what is the problem with the siwash hooks?

I've heard complaints about not hooking up. I think mostly in comparison to trebles, but not sure if that's apples-to-apples with other single hook styles.

This will sound dumb, but I just think Siwash are ugly.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Agreed. This also applies to light weight spoons and wobblers. My Dad made simple wobblers out of brass shim stock. Too light to cast by itself on casting or even spin gear. Worked great rigged as above. Caught a lot of coho and cutts.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Agreed. This also applies to light weight spoons and wobblers. My Dad made simple wobblers out of brass shim stock. Too light to cast by itself on casting or even spin gear. Worked great rigged as above. Caught a lot of coho and cutts.
Twitching jigs, tossing wee Dick Nites rigged as described, and sinking fly line and floating fly line presentations covers my entire salmon toolbox. I can't seem to dial in a spinner bite anywhere.