Countdown!!! ... Atmospheric River’ Begins to Pound Western U.S. With Rain and Snow

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
So, It started years ago, I was "jonesing" to fish the March opener really early (90 or 120 days before), and as I am a "wet sider" and have to cross a pass to get to my lake I started watching the weather and counting down... And I changed the weather from bad to WORSE! I was younger and dumber and I hauled my trailer and hear over the pass in a blizzard. And the weather set in for a week of snow and colder in the opener. The next year I was told "Don't you f'ing start counting at 90 days!" So at 60 I started the count and weather watching... And "BOOM" I cause it again! And just two years ago the lake wasn't ice free until March 19th... And I caught hell about it, and I sat in a gravel parking lot for a week waiting!

So, now I just start counting and reporting later (about 60 days). And last year I went to Texas about 3 weeks before the opener and took the weather with me... My kids soon said "Go home! and take the Seeger Effect with you!"

View attachment 54376View attachment 54377

So, I will take the blame all I ask is I get to fish the opener!!!!

Bwahaha
View attachment 54378
heh heh ...classic!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Next week looks brutal here on the tundra with at least 5 days of bitter cold, nighttime temps below zero at times followed by 5 days of snow. That takes us into March with little sign of spring showing up anytime soon.

With so little opportunity to fish any time soon, I am going to go buy a new 65'' TV and just veg out until the general season opens on April 22. Spring training opened this week so I'll have about 90 games a week with my Major League pass to keep me entertained for awhile.

Once the season gets going the next 6 months will go by in a blur with trips, visits, the Highland Fling, Obscure Lakes outings and a ton of local fishing that doesn't require a great deal of driving. I have a new 6wt rod for the bigger fish that we have been catching recently, 6 new reels and several new fly lines to try out. The new cart with the 20'' wheels is going to make walk-in lakes much easier to reach, new battery pack for my depth finders, new rod holder so I can take 3 rigged fly rods on my pontoon, fresh Trouthunter tippet, new zip up booties for my waders and a slick Ukrainian billed beanie for those early season cool days when the wind goes right through you. I'm anxious as hell to use all this stuff but right now it just isn't possible. I'm like the hungry buzzard that said: "Patience hell-I want to KILL!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
It was 52F in Ephrata today, sunny with some wind. Ice is melting but: ------^ maybe not for long. My wife and I hiked along the old east shore road at Park Lake, some open water: gin clear. Blue Lake has lots of open water but lots of broken ice piled up from the wind. I may head down to Lenice towards the end of next week for a walk through the shrub steppe countryside.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
There are benefits to lousy weather. Our wet side weather was a perfect example today. Cloudy, wet and windy. Ideal conditions to eliminate the swimming dog, stick and rock throwing crowd. Nobody around…..
I’ve ordered more shitty weather. I hope it or at least @Shawn Seeger can deliver it for the west side.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
You will get cold weather for a couple weeks it looks like...

Bob N

Steelhead
Up near Deer Park over to Athol, ID. Two inches an hour. The track looks like it’s headed for the basin along with lows to the single digits.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Good thing I didn't take down my Christmas lights like my wife insisted😁View attachment 55227
It started snowing about 8:00 pm last night, 35 or 36F and wasn't sticking (at first). This morning I had a good idea what I'd find under the snow. Wet driveway that turned to ice as soon as I scraped off the snow. With the temperature dropping to maybe 10F (is iPhone weather can be trusted) tonight and tomorrow night - I don't see the Seeger Effect freezing lakes: too much wind. Bring that trailer over, Shawn.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Snowing in north Seattle.
Just talked to my girlfriend who lives outside Minneapolis. They are expecting 20” of snow over the next few day.
The @Shawn Seeger effect has an immense reach….. 😂
SF

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Snowing in north Seattle.
Just talked to my girlfriend who lives outside Minneapolis. They are expecting 20” of snow over the next few day.
The @Shawn Seeger effect has an immense reach….. 😂
SF

Doesn't reach North Carolina, 75 today, 84 tomorrow, the AC might go on, Yikes!!

Cheers (I think?)