Countdown!!! ... Atmospheric River’ Begins to Pound Western U.S. With Rain and Snow

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
My wife and I enjoyed a month in Southern California - we've been home almost a week. We didn't miss Washington's NASTY weather right after Christmas (75F Christmas day in Redondo Beach!) But: I also missed a few opportunities to get out and wet a line. Four days ago I heard a rumor about trout being caught and given a day or two when the snow actually melted in the Basin I thought maybe, just maybe, a lake or two might have open water. Lenore's closed to angling but there are a couple of places where there are springs and you can often see open water surrounded by ice. If Lenore has a spring or two, why not some seep lakes? Why not? Because of the damned Seeger Effect!

IMG_2002.jpg
I should have brought @Engee's new ice auger, I could have practiced my casting accuracy.

Shawn - who knows what February will bring? Last year it was brutal but often February really warms up and gets the sap flowing. Speaking of sap: who would hike 3.7 miles today carrying a fly rod with nothing but ice to look at? ;-)

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
My wife and I enjoyed a month in Southern California - we've been home almost a week. We didn't miss Washington's NASTY weather right after Christmas (75F Christmas day in Redondo Beach!) But: I also missed a few opportunities to get out and wet a line. Four days ago I heard a rumor about trout being caught and given a day or two when the snow actually melted in the Basin I thought maybe, just maybe, a lake or two might have open water. Lenore's closed to angling but there are a couple of places where there are springs and you can often see open water surrounded by ice. If Lenore has a spring or two, why not some seep lakes? Why not? Because of the damned Seeger Effect!

View attachment 51067
I should have brought @Engee's new ice auger, I could have practiced my casting accuracy.

Shawn - who knows what February will bring? Last year it was brutal but often February really warms up and gets the sap flowing. Speaking of sap: who would hike 3.7 miles today carrying a fly rod with nothing but ice to look at? ;-)
It's almost unbearable to witness this kind of desperation...

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 51067

Wait did you say you wanted February to be cold and snowy... Haha... I can work on it...

February is always the month that cause me the most stress...!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
We were out Saturday and found the lakes were freezing over again. When 3/1 was the opener you stood a 50/50 shot at open water. First week of February is historically flood week, with a good amount of cold and snow coming later in the month. Leaves me wondering what an early march opener will bring. I guess we will see, but I'd prefer it be cold and wet late into spring.
20230121_083327.jpg

Last edited:

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Wait did you say you wanted February to be cold and snowy... Haha... I can work on it...

February is always the month that cause me the most stress...!
We're looking at possible Fraser river outflow NE wind with a chance of snow
Early next week.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
We’ve had a couple days this week in Eburg that feel like early spring. But I can tell SEEGER isn’t done yet. There are overnight lows in the single digits in the forecast!

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My tee time got pushed back this morning, due to frost delay.

Ugh.....life is so hard on all of us.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
29 and a wake up, Shawn. It's 16F here this morning, lots of birds climbing onto the bird feeder. I'm pretty sure the lake I hiked into a week ago today will have no open water but: looking at the 10-day forecast I see a warming trend (with a chance of snow next Sunday). A year ago:
IMG_0664.jpg

February 2022 was mean and nasty.............

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Zero straight up and down here on the tundra today but brilliant sunshine, a rarity in winter.
Last February I spent Super Bowl week in Vancouver and had almost unprecedented bluebird weather for 8 days. We were able to walk every day, no fog or clouds. I have been invited back this year but the long range weather forecast is much different with rain and mid thirty days for much of the next 15 days. Having lived on the west side for over 20 years and the east side for over 20 years I'm aware that a 35 degree day with rain on the west side is much more uncomfortable than a 25 degree day in the east with snow. A wet 35 degrees in the west is cold as a well diggers ass and it always seemed relentless well into spring.
This year I think I'll stay home and feed the wood stove, at least it is a nice dry heat.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
29 and a wake up, Shawn. It's 16F here this morning, lots of birds climbing onto the bird feeder. I'm pretty sure the lake I hiked into a week ago today will have no open water but: looking at the 10-day forecast I see a warming trend (with a chance of snow next Sunday). A year ago:
View attachment 52022

February 2022 was mean and nasty.............
I remember that trip! Things were pretty frozen yesterday chukar hunting north of Wenatchee. All of the lakes I saw between the Tri Cities and Wenatchee were frozen solid as well. North facing slopes were frozen solid. South facing were tolerable, but it got down to 7 degrees last night. It’s going to take some warm weather to thaw things out. A114C0BD-E707-46E7-8E97-05E3885BC7E0.jpeg

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I remember that trip! Things were pretty frozen yesterday chukar hunting north of Wenatchee. All of the lakes I saw between the Tri Cities and Wenatchee were frozen solid as well. North facing slopes were frozen solid. South facing were tolerable, but it got down to 7 degrees last night. It’s going to take some warm weather to thaw things out. View attachment 52119
You partridge hunters are some tough hombres!!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Zero straight up and down here on the tundra today but brilliant sunshine, a rarity in winter.
Last February I spent Super Bowl week in Vancouver and had almost unprecedented bluebird weather for 8 days. We were able to walk every day, no fog or clouds. I have been invited back this year but the long range weather forecast is much different with rain and mid thirty days for much of the next 15 days. Having lived on the west side for over 20 years and the east side for over 20 years I'm aware that a 35 degree day with rain on the west side is much more uncomfortable than a 25 degree day in the east with snow. A wet 35 degrees in the west is cold as a well diggers ass and it always seemed relentless well into spring.
This year I think I'll stay home and feed the wood stove, at least it is a nice dry heat.

The best thing about 35° and rain on the west side is that the water isn’t frozen and most people will be inside, not outside.
That is a winning weather combo in my book especially when it comes to fishing. The less people out the better.
SF

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Every year with @Shawn Seeger is the same. Generally we will have some nice warming until about one week out. Then he strikes and laughs as all hope is lost till mid March at the earliest.
My wife and I hiked along the east side of Park Lake this morning, the ice was "talking". I know this lake is a fourth Saturday in April opener but if the ice is any indication, there could be some around come March 1st. If the glass is half full, maybe no ice by then: it was 42F here today. It felt warm.
IMG_2049.jpg