College Football 2023

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Under NIL and loose transfer rules, the loss of talent and the restocking of talent can occur VERY quickly. It isn't like the situation before NIL and free transfer where the coach recruited a high-schooler with potential and then had to wait several years for him to develop. Your NIL group can go "shopping" in the transfer portal for that grad transfer offensive tackle that you need. College football / basketball is becoming like baseball where the richest teams (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc.) will have the highest "payroll" (but of course, it is the NIL booster group, not the university that is paying the "student-athlete"). And unlike baseball, there isn't a luxury tax... While having a massive NIL budget doesn't guarantee success, it does mean that your alma mater (either by attendance or "adoption") will always be in the discussion.
Steve

Last edited:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
As a sports fan I most enjoy watching and rooting for teams where I feel some connection to the athletes, the ones who came close last year and returned to see if they can finish the job. Having a new roster every year of unfamiliar names coached by the latest big bucks hire destroys any continuity and will, personally, make it improbable to feel any team loyalty and will likely destroy my desire to consistently want to watch the games. A diversion that was once found entertaining has been taken away by predicating success on financial renumeration. I'm going to miss it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thought he was headed to the draft.
Not a good choice in schools or coaches in my opinion but the NIL money must be right.
SF

Landlocked

Steelhead
Thought he was headed to the draft.
Not a good choice in schools or coaches in my opinion but the NIL money must be right.
SF

I think his pops prob leveraged the NFL draft posturing to the tune of a half mil or so of the Rock’s dough. Cristobal isn’t known as a developer of QB talent. He didn’t seem to do much with Herbert at Oregon even though Herbert had talent oozing.

Edit-Ward didn’t sign with an agent, just announced intent, I’d guess.

Last edited:

wetline dave

Steelhead
Just curious, but do these NIL prima donnas get to keep their scholarships that are worth around $40 to $50 thousand a year for five years? And how much income tax and other fees and such are they liable for like social security etc? I would assume they are independent contractors and need business licenses and everything that goes with it and subject to law suite for poor performance and breach of contract or leaving early..

If you are going to make college ball into a business then all the rules for business need to apply..

Dave

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
In what is a surprise to nobody, Grubb will be headed to bama also.

Landlocked

Steelhead
As a sports fan I most enjoy watching and rooting for teams where I feel some connection to the athletes, the ones who came close last year and returned to see if they can finish the job. Having a new roster every year of unfamiliar names coached by the latest big bucks hire destroys any continuity and will, personally, make it improbable to feel any team loyalty and will likely destroy my desire to consistently want to watch the games. A diversion that was once found entertaining has been taken away by predicating success on financial renumeration. I'm going to miss it.
I’m not against players getting paid above and beyond the free education, room, and board. The bloviated amount of money the schools and NCAA pocketed annually off the football programs is/was nauseatingly insane. And yes, there’s not going to be parity with this. Oregon is not going to fall back into football oblivion, pre Phil Night wanting his fancy bauble. The Oregon’s, TAMU’s, Georgia, Bamas, Michigans, Ohio States, and all blue bloods will just stockpile more talent because of unlimited donor funds. However I think there’s another tier of teams who’s donor base may tire of tossing millions upon millions each year at 18-23 year old kids who themselves have no loyalty. Those are the Miamis, Washington’s, and Arizonas who spent huge amounts to load up a roster with mercenaries and not get the results they ultimately want ( kudos to the dogs for almost making it work perfectly). But, how much of a stomach are these donor groups going to have and for how long, if their team doesn’t put the revolving door of players together and get to the promised land? Again, Huskies tasted it, almost executed it to perfection, but despite the fat checks that core group of players who came back to try to win it all (and let’s face it, aided by fat checks), they just barely fell short. Arizona’s 10-wins and dramatic turnaround from a horrible program to a 10-win team? It’s not because Jed Fisch is the second coming of Bear Bryant. He’s a good coach who has a donor base who wrote ALOT of big checks to buy a good team.

Maybe this organically mellows itself out because donors just get tired of the arms race. I mean, it’s really not a smart investment. But then again I look at it from a poor man/fan perspective.

It’s brought the typical slimey antics the the top. Brock Hhatd reported right after the AC that Cam Ward had no less than 10, one-million dollar NIL offers. Specially one of the tenants of NIL was that players or their families were not to be contacted prior to the portal opening by agents of another school’s team. Well duh, that got ignored as fast as most of my steelhead swung offerings and the worthless, toothless NCAA does nothing to attempt to enforce it. How does that translate into the field to a player if he knows he may want to avoid contact and injury if a possible fat bag of cash may be coming his way from next season’s highest bidder? I know my eyebrows raised a time or two with a few of Cam Ward’s choices later in the Coug season last year.

So Abula, I feel your pain. I think the average fan who wants to feel that connection to be able to root for a specific school and those players is finding it harder to get behind this new scenario where there is no loyalty from the teams (coaches or players). People will just simply start tuning out. Only until the greedy networks feel the pain in their returns because the average fan says “why shouldn’t I go trim the grass even if my team is on ESPN this afternoon”, advertisers start seeing fast-declining eyeball numbers and subsequently their bean counters question the billions spent peddling insurance, soda, chips, ED drugs and Ram trucks, will there be any reigning in of this chaos (including realignment).

I’m far less attached than I had been for 40-plus years. And that’s not so bad.

Attachments

• tmp.gif
    tmp.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Landlocked

Steelhead
Just curious, but do these NIL prima donnas get to keep their scholarships that are worth around $40 to $50 thousand a year for five years? And how much income tax and other fees and such are they liable for like social security etc? I would assume they are independent contractors and need business licenses and everything that goes with it and subject to law suite for poor performance and breach of contract or leaving early..

If you are going to make college ball into a business then all the rules for business need to apply..

Dave
From what I understand Dave, the contracts between players and NIL donation groups are all written independently with all different terms. I doubt any of them allow players to jump ship and keep getting paid or keep their shiny new rides.

I bet the IRS is eyeballing this stuff hard right now.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
so student athletes should demonstrate a loyalty their coaches don't? And those coaches that do stay at the same school because of the seven figure a year salaries and contract penalties? They will bench or cut players without a blink if they score a better one in the transfer portal, regardless if it's the fan's fave or not.
And let's be real, the athletes aren't playing for the fans, the vast majority are playing for a scholarship they would unlikely be able to afford otherwise, while theminority with an NFL future are playing to ensure the financial security of their family. And every time one of the primary donna's does jump into the portal it opens up a scholarship opportunity for another student.
The likely outcome for the current NIL mess will be a collective bargaining agreement much like the NFL players have. Meanwhile, the schools with the most money to play the best players will be going to the championship games. And hasn't it always been that way, boosters slipping free cars and hundreds of thousands to the premium players like Deion Sanders and Reggie Bush to get them to their alma mater? At least now it's just not the special few and it's over the table, not under it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

You got your next coach but for how long? 😬

I think you can probably ask that to about 90% of colleges when it comes to their coaches. It’s become a transient business.
SF

Smalma

Life of the Party
I see that UW has made a head coach hire - Fisch from Arizona. That would seem to be a reasonable hire, maybe he will bring some of his defense with him.

curt

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
College football has turned into the NFL, where coaching and player drama overshadow the game itself. The NFL is a business and every player and coach is looking for that next contract, there is absolutely no team loyalty. It's all about hype, branding, and selling shit to dumbass fans, the same ones that watch the Kardashians. The really good teams buy the best players and win the most games, this is now college football also.

What I love about college ball is the ties to the University, alumni, band, local athletes getting a shot, it was/is truly a great sport. The players now have every bit as much loyalty to the university, and it's fans as a bought and paid for NFL player.

I do love football, I watch pro ball too, more for following individual players that are fun to watch, but I couldn't care less about the Seahawks even though I grew up going to games. You could take the whole roster of the LA Rams and have them trade with the Seahawks and nobody would give a shit as long as they won games, but to me, football is more than supporting a brand.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
College football has turned into the NFL, where coaching and player drama overshadow the game itself. The NFL is a business and every player and coach is looking for that next contract, there is absolutely no team loyalty. It's all about hype, branding, and selling shit to dumbass fans, the same ones that watch the Kardashians. The really good teams buy the best players and win the most games, this is now college football also.

What I love about college ball is the ties to the University, alumni, band, local athletes getting a shot, it was/is truly a great sport. The players now have every bit as much loyalty to the university, and it's fans as a bought and paid for NFL player.

I do love football, I watch pro ball too, more for following individual players that are fun to watch, but I couldn't care less about the Seahawks even though I grew up going to games. You could take the whole roster of the LA Rams and have them trade with the Seahawks and nobody would give a shit as long as they won games, but to me, football is more than supporting a brand.
That's a pretty good assessment of the current situation.

I LOVE the game of football...IMO it's the greatest game ever invented. I could go on and on (I won't bore you all) about why. I love the game enough that I choose to ignore everything that happens off the field.

Dumbass fans...my son said something interesting to me while he was home for break. He had just been to his second NFL game of the year...also his first NFL experience. He said, "there is something really creepy about grown men wearing other men's jersey's and screaming at them from 100 yards away as if they are participating in the game themselves. He said, "don't even get me started on the people who dress up in costumes to go to the games."

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That's a pretty good assessment of the current situation.

I LOVE the game of football...IMO it's the greatest game ever invented. I could go on and on (I won't bore you all) about why. I love the game enough that I choose to ignore everything that happens off the field.

Dumbass fans...my son said something interesting to me while he was home for break. He had just been to his second NFL game of the year...also his first NFL experience. He said, "there is something really creepy about grown men wearing other men's jersey's and screaming at them from 100 yards away as if they are participating in the game themselves. He said, "don't even get me started on the people who dress up in costumes to go to the games."
I’m with him
Some of the shit these fans scream about is ridiculous
One of my faves: “ catch the ball!!”