College Football 2023

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Pete Carroll would be a great 2 year filler at UW. Lots of interest with kids playing for someone who is just out of the NFL and was successful too. A few of his staff would join. Let the AD evaluate and have time to search for good candidates. ??? I like the Doc’s suggestion above. Won’t happen tho.
That does seem like a cool outcome. All other considerations aside, I wonder how much his USC NCAA foibles would impact his ability to get involved again at the college level. Money and ratings usually dictate that bygones be bygones.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Any AD worth his salt always has a list of guys ready to call should something like this happen.
I’d like to see us go young. We’ve hired guys before without any HC experience.
There is one guy I’d look at. He has experience at both Alabama and Georgia in multiple positions.
Good recruiter, knows big time football and can coach defense, something the Dawgs will need to get better at competing in the Big 10. That is Georgia co defensive coordinator Glenn Schumann.
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Deboer to 'bama? Sure, why not? Heck, nothing has ever gone wrong for Alabama when they hire a coach from the state of Washington, right?

Oh right. That.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Deboer to 'bama? Sure, why not? Heck, nothing has ever gone wrong for Alabama when they hire a coach from the state of Washington, right?

Oh right. That.
Set up
Bama boosters said NFW to Price

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I‘m probably in the minority on this but, I don’t care about conferences at all. I’m a WSU fan (as painful as that is😂) and I know they are playing football next year. I don’t really care who they play.

Now that FCS football will finally determine a true champion the way the rest of team sports does…I’m happy.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The demise of the PAC-12 certainly does not help retaining coaches and hiring new ones...
It didn't hurt Oregon. I'd really like to know who Alabama's first choice was. Time for a poll?

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any AD worth his salt always has a list of guys ready to call should something like this happen.
I’d like to see us go young. We’ve hired guys before without any HC experience.
There is one guy I’d look at. He has experience at both Alabama and Georgia in multiple positions.
Good recruiter, knows big time football and can coach defense, something the Dawgs will need to get better at competing in the Big 10. That is Georgia co defensive coordinator Glenn Schumann.
SF

I’m sure he has a short list….. but sometimes for multiple reasons you might not be able to get them immediately…… although a chunk of cash can change a mind.

He should have had a conversation with Grubb already? Right?

But I also think Deboer doesn’t take the job unless he has Grubb with him. Could be wrong 😑

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I’m sure he has a short list….. but sometimes for multiple reasons you might not be able to get them immediately…… although a chunk of cash can change a mind.

He should have had a conversation with Grubb already? Right?

But I also think Deboer doesn’t take the job unless he has Grubb with him. Could be wrong 😑

Just my guess, but I think Grubb follows DeBoer to Bama.
SF

BDD

Steelhead
I love football. Loved playing it as a kid and enjoy watching it now...the game that is. But the circumstances surrounding football, both at the college and pro levels are getting to me.

UW had a great season and I was very happy for them. Brought back memories and excitement from 1978, 1984, and 1991. Coach KD seems like a legitimate, honest, successful leader and individual. Some teams were probably jealous of UW and the great success they achieved in such a short time...probably wished he was their team's coach. I have no angst about him taking the Bama job but surely wished he'd have stayed at UW longer. I see a challenging road ahead for UW as they move to a new conference.

Yeah, I get it...football is about revenue and is getting more that way. Lots of things I am disliking about the game anymore, again at both levels. The celebrations, lack of respect for the opponent, penalties, delays, commercials, challenges, timeouts, too many rules that are not needed (IMO) and more. All this is tarnishing my love of the game but the good news is I keep reminding myself that it's just a game and in the end, it is pretty far down my life's priority list. I get a chuckle about how many talk shows get conversation topics for tv, radio, and internet, like they are purposely drumming up garbage so they have something to argue/debate about. I listened to some of it leading up to the National Championship but am glad I can put it aside now.

Said this before but I'm glad I'm not so wrapped up in all the extra nonsense that it affects my life. I respect what guys like Belichick, Sabin, and Carroll and many others have done over the years. Good for them. But I refuse to get caught up in all the speculation...who's going where, who will be a good fit, etc. I'll follow the NFL playoffs but once that is over, I'll put football aside until next fall and will again, hit the restart button and look forward to another UW/Hawk football season.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I love football. Loved playing it as a kid and enjoy watching it now...the game that is. But the circumstances surrounding football, both at the college and pro levels are getting to me.

UW had a great season and I was very happy for them. Brought back memories and excitement from 1978, 1984, and 1991. Coach KD seems like a legitimate, honest, successful leader and individual. Some teams were probably jealous of UW and the great success they achieved in such a short time...probably wished he was their team's coach. I have no angst about him taking the Bama job but surely wished he'd have stayed at UW longer. I see a challenging road ahead for UW as they move to a new conference.

Yeah, I get it...football is about revenue and is getting more that way. Lots of things I am disliking about the game anymore, again at both levels. The celebrations, lack of respect for the opponent, penalties, delays, commercials, challenges, timeouts, too many rules that are not needed (IMO) and more. All this is tarnishing my love of the game but the good news is I keep reminding myself that it's just a game and in the end, it is pretty far down my life's priority list. I get a chuckle about how many talk shows get conversation topics for tv, radio, and internet, like they are purposely drumming up garbage so they have something to argue/debate about. I listened to some of it leading up to the National Championship but am glad I can put it aside now.

Said this before but I'm glad I'm not so wrapped up in all the extra nonsense that it affects my life. I respect what guys like Belichick, Sabin, and Carroll and many others have done over the years. Good for them. But I refuse to get caught up in all the speculation...who's going where, who will be a good fit, etc. I'll follow the NFL playoffs but once that is over, I'll put football aside until next fall and will again, hit the restart button and look forward to another UW/Hawk football season.
Coaching football has been the best thing that ever happened to me as a fan and my sanity. I like the Hawks, Cougs, and the schools my boys play for but the only team I’m psycho about is the one I coach😂.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm left in the lurch right now. I deliberately keep myself a casual football fan by following only the UW Huskys as an alumni and the Seahawks as my nearest home town professional team. I don't want to allocate too much of my leisure time following and watching all the college and pro teams like one of my son-in-laws does. That would interfere with fishing and other things. That said, I've got kind of an empty feeling with the Huskys leaving the PAC 12 and the coach and player rosters being a total mystery, with committed players uncommitting and others entering the transfer portal.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A lot of talent leaving the UW program
Going to be tough with the new coach/ new league
I wonder how many are planning on playing for Coach Prime?
He’s looking

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
A lot of talent leaving the UW program
Going to be tough with the new coach/ new league
I wonder how many are planning on playing for Coach Prime?
He’s looking

It may be a tough couple years for whoever get the UW gig. One advantage any coach has now is the portal. As much as I hate it, it can help build a roster pretty quickly versus having to develop HS talent.

I saw that Alabama’s best recruiter and DB coach just left and went to Georgia.
SF