Cold weather coming this week, get those hose bibs covered...

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Lost power a few hours ago. Coleman stove and lanterns at the ready. Having to ration phone time. Turned off laptops and such, in case I need to charge from them.

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
Unfortunately I had to drive my family down to Springfield Oregon Friday night so my daughter could play in a volleyball tournament. 256 high school club volleyball teams from at least 7 states showed up to compete. All week I kept expecting the organizers to cancel this event, but it never happened. We stayed in a Springfield Airbnb with 2 large Elm trees parked for the last 70+ years out in front of this home.

This morning I rolled out to defrost the car which took almost 30 minutes of scrapping and de-icier. It rained all day which built up a lot of ice on the trees.
The best was saved for last as the wind picked up this evening Mother Nature started pruning those massive Elms trees. It was a bit scary hearing huge limbs crash into the yard, roof and side of the house. Its so awesome that this 1950s Springfield Airbnb survived. More tournament play tomorrow & Monday. Hopefully we make back to our tropical oasis in Auburn Wa. Monday night. I will post some pics of the tree fall tomorrow. Here is a pic of the ice covered car.

1705210184942.png

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Unfortunately I had to drive my family down to Springfield Oregon Friday night so my daughter could play in a volleyball tournament. 256 high school club volleyball teams from at least 7 states showed up to compete. All week I kept expecting the organizers to cancel this event, but it never happened. We stayed in a Springfield Airbnb with 2 large Elm trees parked for the last 70+ years out in front of this home.

This morning I rolled out to defrost the car which took almost 30 minutes of scrapping and de-icier. It rained all day which built up a lot of ice on the trees.
The best was saved for last as the wind picked up this evening Mother Nature started pruning those massive Elms trees. It was a bit scary hearing huge limbs crash into the yard, roof and side of the house. Its so awesome that this 1950s Springfield Airbnb survived. More tournament play tomorrow & Monday. Hopefully we make back to our tropical oasis in Auburn Wa. Monday night. I will post some pics of the tree fall tomorrow. Here is a pic of the ice covered car.

View attachment 99360

That doesn't look good. Stay safe!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Fox 12 in Ptld is reporting wind gusts of 80 to 100 mph. in the gorge....also know as the great wind tunnel of the Northwest. What would that make wind chill? if the temp was 20 degrees. Makes me feel warm and cozy at home.
Well I live at the west end of said gorge. Those numbers probably aren't far off.

We made it out just fine thus far. A few friends of ours weren't so lucky. A couple we know just finished their brand new garage this fall only to have it crushed by a tree with their heavily customized Tundra Overlander inside it. Plenty others without power and so far refusing our offers of a powered/warm place to hang out.

Last edited:

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Most of yesterday's temperature.

Today at 5:00 13.7 degrees.

Attachments

• 20240113_173412.jpg
    20240113_173412.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 3

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yesterday 83* Playa Del Carmen.
Get home last nite 14*.

My lungs didn't like it.
I had a moment of panic yesterday when, after playing at the park for an hour and a half with my kids, I took them to 5 Guys for lunch. I was filling cups of water and my lightly asthmatic kid starting saying her throat closed up and she couldn’t breathe. I had forgotten all about that reaction to the huge temperature change thing and I was caught with no inhaler and no car (we had walked)! Thankfully, after sitting and sipping some water it passed quickly. Phew! Nothing like watching your kid get all red faced and not be able to breathe and feeling helpless as a parent. That temperature change reaction is a real thing!