Coho jigs

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
So school me on these things. What do you tie them with? Colors? How deep do you fish them? Types of floats?
I want to try some this year.

Reactions: JS

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
3/8 or 1/2 jig heads with some good hooks. No float, just twitch ‘em.
I like black, purple and blue tones with chartreuse heads. The chartreuse is just a personal preference.
A 4” hoochie skirt over a jig head will do some damage as well.
SF

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
3/8 or 1/2 jig heads with some good hooks. No float, just twitch ‘em.
I like black, purple and blue tones with chartreuse heads. The chartreuse is just a personal preference.
A 4” hoochie skirt over a jig head will do some damage as well.
SF
Are you fishing those from the river bank?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Boat and bank.
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I typically stick to black/purple/chartreuse. Any solid or combo of two or all three. But don't overthink it... The more important part is getting it where fish are. If you're in the river, I try to get it on the bottom before I start the jigging.

This technique does work in saltwater as well.

Chucker

Steelhead
Hot pink as a change up for when you know the fish are still there, but they are not hitting the other colors any more.

Anyone got a source for reasonably priced jig heads?

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hot pink as a change up for when you know the fish are still there, but they are not hitting the other colors any more.

Anyone got a source for reasonably priced jig heads?

I've been wanting to order some of these but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Not that bad on price and lots of color/weight/hook size options. They some materials as well.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
So school me on these things. What do you tie them with? Colors? How deep do you fish them? Types of floats?
I want to try some this year.
No floats. Twitching. I think there is a thread on here on twitching.

No detectable difference in catching between fancy and simple ones in my experience/river. I just lash a bunny strip to the bare jig with a tail about the length of the jig and palmer it forward. If I have time and energy, I might add a little flash and a constrasting schlappen collar but I try to keep it to a quick tie.

I go 1/4 to 1/2oz as I have shallow holding spots as well as deep holes with current. As Evan said, getting it down is key but has to be balanced without constant snagging.

If you're going to be fishing gear, don't be shy about rolling a large bead under a float too.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Hit me and Jeffery up this fall, we'll show you the light!

Divad

Whitefish
I’m more bound to lose jigs with my rivers so I sort of don’t buy the fancy jig heads. I do collect many right after season closure. Buddy I fish with gear fishes and usually loses a couple per run.

210 thread, encapsulating the lead and epoxy it in to place. Mustad makes a series 90 degrees in short and long preferable to short, $.20 a hook. Faster than molds, strong and don’t have to wait. Same hook on most competition jig heads anyways.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I’m more bound to lose jigs with my rivers so I sort of don’t buy the fancy jig heads. I do collect many right after season closure. Buddy I fish with gear fishes and usually loses a couple per run.

210 thread, encapsulating the lead and epoxy it in to place. Mustad makes a series 90 degrees in short and long preferable to short, $.20 a hook. Faster than molds, strong and don’t have to wait. Same hook on most competition jig heads anyways.
I'm thinking I need a step by step or at least a photo!
Hit me and Jeffery up this fall, we'll show you the light!
Sure thing! I'll bring along some Well's Spoons for you guys.

Divad

Whitefish
I'm thinking I need a step by step or at least a photo!

Sure thing! I'll bring along some Well's Spoons for you guys.
I am a meat fisherman in the fall and the jigs come out. I’ll whip one up this weekend or next showing steps.

Been wanting to try it anyways for a summer pattern as recommended by Bill Herzog.

skyrise

Steelhead
So I carry way to much gear but what about making some in red, orange, white and then some jigs in flash colors ? Or do you guys just mix those other colors and flash in with the blacks, blues etc ? And are you fishing jigs in slow and faster water ?

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I have only fished coho relatively close to the ocean but from what I understand close to Salt water you want bright color and flash, further inland you want darker colors amd less flash.

So tell me where to buy 3/4 jig heads painted or not. Yakima twitcher heads are perfect but don't believe anyone sells just their
heads.

Shad

Life of the Party
Color doesn't seem to matter much. When they bite jigs, it's the action they're keyed in on. That said, my favorites are pink, purple, and black, with blues filling in the gaps. As with all attractor lures, contrast between the head and the body is a good strategy. Most of my fishing is with 3/8 Oz. Heads, but don't sleep on the 1/4-oz., especially in small or clear water. They drop a little slower, and the fish dig that. 1/2-oz.definitely work (and are necessary in really deep water), but they wear me out over a long day of twitching. You'll see what I mean....

Some really fun fishing when it's working, but expect to lose a bunch of jigs to wood. Another good reason to tie something as simple and cheap as possible. My go-to pattern is a single zonker strip, tied in to the length of the hook at the tail, then palmered forward. If you feel fancy, add a few strands of crystal flash into the tail, and maybe put a few wraps of contrasting hackle at the front. Realistically, the rabbit strip is probably all you need. 1 minute tie. In a pinch, thread a small squid skirt (hootchie) up to the head of a bare hook. Works as well as anything else.

The fishing is a lot like bass fishing. Cast the jigs as close as possible to structure and start twitching. They almost always bite on the drop; if you come tight on the way up, it usually means you're about to snag one. It happens.