Coho jigs

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Went out behind the house to throw a twitching jig after work tonight before dark.

Nutty fishing... I caught way into double digits in about 45minutes. After hooking 5 in 8 casts, I kept saying "If I cast 3 times without a hookup, I'll stop". I ended up just having to stop because I never went more than two casts without a hookup. Only one firetruck. Most were a little darker than I wanted but ended up bonking two bright ones for the freezer.

3/8oz Nightmare pattern was the ticket but they would have bit anything today. Easily my highest pounds of fish per cast per hour ever. LOL

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Tried for coho on the Cowlitz with a buddy yesterday. I went 1 for 2 twitching jigs (a 1/2 oz black bunny with chartreuse head worked for me) and 0/1 on a spinner. The bait rod didn’t do diddly squat for us. The most remarkable thing probably was having the entire barrier to blue creek drift to ourselves. 9CAAD243-C25B-4C96-BC57-2B5AED03544B.jpeg

Last edited:

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hit an S river and a hatchery hole today. S river had tons of Chum, saw my neighbor catch a few. Decent guy who handled the fish very well, had a great conversation. Would have liked to hook one as bycatch but targeting them is forbidden so I suppose it's for the best they didn't bite. Saw hundreds of fish milling about above the hatchery, seemed to be largely native fish. The Chums were spawning so I left them alone, the Coho were totally lockjawed. Checked out a hole close to the hatchery intake but it was clogged full of snaggers. I might hit both of these rivers on Sunday too, might give a fly a try

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Our river is stuffed with fish right now. Unfortunately, they are 98% firetrucks at this point. If you want to take home a bright one, you have to sift through a bunch of red monsters. Alas, what amazing October fishing we could have had with a little rain...

I tried an experiment yesterday while looking for one last nice fish for the freeezer. There's a small spot that usually holds fish, is non-obvious and doesn't set up well for a full-sized boat due to the rocks/rapid. However, at these levels, I can just stand up in a small eddy behind a rock in my Commander or Freestone and cast in front of the stacked coho.

I proved myself wrong - I had been in the 'color doesn't matter' camp and always fished a 'nightmare' pattern jig because I like the way it looked. I tried it in front of those fish for maybe 10 casts and got nothing. Switched to all black and got nothing. Switched to black and blue with pale pink head and got nothing. Finally, I tied on my least favorite, a black and purple with a hot pink head. Note - all of these were tied exactly the same, just different colors.

Slammed by a big buck on the first cast. Hooked five in 7 casts. All dark which was a bummer (see opening sentence) but the learning informative. At least some of the time, color does matter.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
So tell me where to buy 3/4 jig heads painted or not. Yakima twitcher heads are perfect but don't believe anyone sells just their
heads.
I know this is late, but check your local sportsmans warehouse there in Lacey. usually find them in the back of the store in big bins. have to paint them though