Cautionary Tale - I found a dead angler in the SolDuc this morning

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I was floating my home water this morning with a friend visiting from So. Oregon. As we were moving down from our first run, we noticed something sticking up in the knee deep water. It was blue and looked like some of the random things that get washed down the river until we got close. I was in front and as I floated by about 10 feet to the right, I realized it was a dead body. We pulled over, called 911 and checked vitals but it was very obvious from first sight that he was deceased. We assisted with the recovery and gave our statements to the Clallam Deputy Sheriff after the water rescue team transported the body. We continued our float to my house but neither of us felt like fishing at that point so we just floated, talked, and tried to make sense of what we had just experienced. The deputy arrived quickly as did the rescue team that looked to be mostly volunteers. They were fast, especially for a remote and rural location, professional and very considerate of the deceased.

I'll be honest, I'm still pretty effed up inside after this. Thinking about his family along with the mental image of how I found him in the water is tough. If anyone on here knows them, my sincere heartfelt condolences.

I float this short stretch by myself all the time and I've been pretty casual about it, foregoing life jackets, not really worrying about anything as I know pretty much every rock.

Not any more. I committed to my wife that I'll always wear a life jacket (this angler was not wearing one) regardless of whether it's totally flat water or scary rapids.

Please be safe out there.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
At a loss for words. Very sorry you had to go through something like that. Terrible.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thomas,
Very sorry you had to experience this.
The gentleman you found was a hell of a punt returner for the UW Huskies.
SF

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m sorry you had to have had this experience…I’ve had a similar one over 30 years ago in Hawaii; a shore fisherman was swept off the rocks/cliff from a big wave (assumed)…we were driving our boat and saw him in the water…he was dead for some time.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I was floating my home water this morning with a friend visiting from So. Oregon. As we were moving down from our first run, we noticed something sticking up in the knee deep water. It was blue and looked like some of the random things that get washed down the river until we got close. I was in front and as I floated by about 10 feet to the right, I realized it was a dead body. We pulled over, called 911 and checked vitals but it was very obvious from first sight that he was deceased. We assisted with the recovery and gave our statements to the Clallam Deputy Sheriff after the water rescue team transported the body. We continued our float to my house but neither of us felt like fishing at that point so we just floated, talked, and tried to make sense of what we had just experienced. The deputy arrived quickly as did the rescue team that looked to be mostly volunteers. They were fast, especially for a remote and rural location, professional and very considerate of the deceased.

I'll be honest, I'm still pretty effed up inside after this. Thinking about his family along with the mental image of how I found him in the water is tough. If anyone on here knows them, my sincere heartfelt condolences.

I float this short stretch by myself all the time and I've been pretty casual about it, foregoing life jackets, not really worrying about anything as I know pretty much every rock.

Not any more. I committed to my wife that I'll always wear a life jacket (this angler was not wearing one) regardless of whether it's totally flat water or scary rapids.

Please be safe out there.

So sorry to read this for you and your friend....let alone the deceased and his family.

I did 29 years in law enforcement, 20 of those years were as a CSI. Deaths are never easy, especially when someone dies traumatically. I still carry baggage from some scenes and this was after knowingly responding to them. I can only imagine the shock you might be feeling after happening upon such a scene.

I was provided resources for how to process/deal with especially traumatic or shocking scenes. I'm guessing you have been provided nothing.

One helpful bit of information I was told is something like this can affect the brain like any other injury....meaning that it could take 2-3 weeks before you find yourself feeling better and getting back to normal....sleep-wise, emotionally, etc. Should you find any problems lasting longer, consider getting outside help. In addition to this, be open with your partner and friend.

I wish you well,

Mike d

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Damn dude, that's a hell of a thing. Put a beer on my tab, friend.

Shad

Life of the Party
So sorry you had to be the one, but thank goodness someone found the poor soul.

Best wishes to you and the bereaved....

Any day we get on the river and back off without incident is a great day....

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Thanks all for the public and private sentiments.

It's hard not to imagine my own family getting that call from the sheriff's office. As fellow anglers, I know we all feel terrible for what his family is now dealing with.

It's easy to forget how serious this stuff can be.

JayB

Steelhead
Dang man - that's incredibly rough.

Some friends of mine were out kayaking on a swift, cold river back east, were informed that a terrible tragedy had transpired involving more than one victim (no need to go into the details here) , and spent the rest of the afternoon methodically working their way in and out of every eddy looking for bodies.

They weren't able to recover any the victims, but even being involved in that sort of an effort put a heck of an emotional load on them and had them feeling off for days and took a while to work through on their next few trips out to the river - and that was mild compared to what you experienced.

Everything about the incident sounds just awful, but you did the family an important service by handling the situation with such attentiveness and care, and seeing to it that their loved one was recovered as quickly as possible, and I hope that knowing that will ultimately bring you some comfort.

Kado

Steelhead
Sobering. Helps me to remember to appreciate all the little things. My thoughts for both you and his family. Hope you can still get out on the river when you're ready.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
It is my hope that you will find peace with the traumatic experience you were placed in. I wish nothing but the best for the deceased's family. A gentle reminder for all, we must take care in our endeavors to make it home afterwards. As I have witnessed too many times, the poor, and somewhat selfish decisions of some, make a huge and long lasting effect on the survivors. Be safe out there.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
There is nothing I can say for add that hasn't already been said. Just wishing you and your friend well. Take care Sir.

Pipeman

Freshly Spawned
My deepest condolences to you, your friend, and Joe's family. A very sad day. I find myself hesitating to go by myself where in the past I would have bounded off like an eager pup. I ask the question, what could possibly go wrong? The most important part of any adventure is coming home to sleep, peacefully, in your own bed. The ripples from an event like this touch a lot people. Take care.