Cautionary Tale - I found a dead angler in the SolDuc this morning

Jim Allen

Steelhead
I have been in the medical field for over 35 years and have experienced my share of death. And I echo what others have said that this experience is nothing to take lightly. It can adversely affect you. Also as stated we have debriefings and trained counselors available to us. I would say that you defiantly should reach out to the family and express your condolences. I would also venture to say that the family would want to thank you for helping to bring them closure to such a tragic event. There are events that have occurred in my career over the years that affect me to this day, as this will affect you. Making that affect positive or negative will be determined by how you process this over the months to come. I hope in time you find peace with this. I know your actions helped the family.

Otter

Steelhead
I once asked an older Mountie for advice in dealing with my trauma that I couldn't shake, after responding to a high-speed single car crash, that killed the driver. I had told the officer that I understood that talking about it helps, which I had been doing. He replied, "Talking about it is good, but you need to talk to a professional. Go to RCMP Victim Services."
I thought Victim Services was for victims of crime, but they said no, it doesn't have to be regarding a crime.
They were wonderful; compassionate, and gave me direction right away, sending me to a drop-in clinic for psychological help. The counsellor at that clinic made a positive difference in my mental health, and not just around that particular trauma. I still have my moments, a dozen years later now, so I accept that my experience is just part of who I am now. I once read that there may not be a cure, but there is healing.

Thomas, please be compassionate with yourself. Try not to think "what if". You did well, in a very difficult situation.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Thanks all for the sentiments, especially for Joe and his family which is the most important thing in this thread. Having suddenly and unexpectedly lost a parent myself when I was still pretty young, I know they can use all the positive thoughts and prayers.

Second most important is all of our commitment to do that little bit extra to keep ourselves safe for those who love and depend on us.

Safe and good fishing to y'all.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Was surfing at Pacific City on the OR coast a decade ago, exited a wave on the inside, spotted another surfer face down in about a foot of water. Dragged what was an older, overweight guy onto the beach and started CPR, another surfer joined in to double team and we kept working on him until the paramedics rolled down the beach 15 mins later in their 4x4 ambulance and took over to no avail. The whole time this was going on his wife was standing there, shaking like a leaf.
As they loaded him into the ambulance, the wife said her husband had just retired the day before after 30 years as an Oregon Fish and Wilfelife biologist, and all he wanted to do was surf as much as he could.
Every day is a gift, even the not so good ones...

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I heard from my neighbor that the boat was found just below Hillstrom. We found the deceased in the flat below the lower Tumbling Rapids bridge.
S**t
That’s a long way. Do you think he was floating Bear Ck or the Riverside section and the pontoon drifted down below Hillstrom. (Sorry I’m just curious on how folks choose to float sections. I come from a whitewater background and I think that this experience instills a significant respectful approach to running rivers. It doesn’t appear to me that most guides and fisher folks approach whitewater in quiet the same way. I wish we did. I don’t think it’s arrogance or stupidity. When one firsts gets into ww kayaking, safety is just an instilled part of the culture. Boating is thought of as inherently dangerous. In order to have fun be safe first. As a rule people don’t ww kayak alone and peer pressure is high on being properly geared and aware. Otherwise you won’t have boating buddies. Everyone in the party is responsible for each other and folks don’t want to be put in danger by a ill prepared individual should a rescue be needed. Maybe as folks fishing progress into harder boating the focus on safety is not at the forefront.)
Sounds like you float the Bear Creek section. Not many do. I’d be surprised if a non local single pontoon would be going down it without being pretty experienced.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
S**t
That’s a long way. Do you think he was floating Bear Ck or the Riverside section and the pontoon drifted down below Hillstrom. (Sorry I’m just curious on how folks choose to float sections. I come from a whitewater background and I think that this experience instills a significant respectful approach to running rivers. It doesn’t appear to me that most guides and fisher folks approach whitewater in quiet the same way. I wish we did. I don’t think it’s arrogance or stupidity. When one firsts gets into ww kayaking, safety is just an instilled part of the culture. Boating is thought of as inherently dangerous. In order to have fun be safe first. As a rule people don’t ww kayak alone and peer pressure is high on being properly geared and aware. Otherwise you won’t have boating buddies. Everyone in the party is responsible for each other and folks don’t want to be put in danger by a ill prepared individual should a rescue be needed. Maybe as folks fishing progress into harder boating the focus on safety is not at the forefront.)
Sounds like you float the Bear Creek section. Not many do. I’d be surprised if a non local single pontoon would be going down it without being pretty experienced.
Just read some more on the other forum. Sounds like Joe was passionate and experienced. Sometimes s**t just happens.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
S**t
These days most stay below Maxfield due to the no fishing from boats regs. However Hilstrom to the hatchery is/was a reasonably popular float for anglers.

The Bear Creek rapid is scary for me and I do not row it even in my 13’ Maravia much less my little one-man boats, though I have a reasonable amount of whitewater kayaking experience. My house is downstream of the hatchery so I drop in various spots upstream and float home which was was happened on Sunday.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
S**t
Exactly. For fishing folk watercraft are simply a means to an end. For WW kayaking (and mountaineering) safety culture is an intrinsic part of the introduction and ongoing participation in the activity.

While river fishing guides insist upon clients wearing PFDs, that's about the extent of the discussion. On the SAME water a WW rafting guide service the pre-float safety discussion is going to be far more detailed...orientation of feet if thrown out of raft, how to make it to shore, proper PFD fitment, dealing with sweeps, etc. All sorts of 'what if' instruction, whether or not the clients have been on none or many WW rafting trips.

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
"... I heard from my neighbor that the boat was found just below Hillstrom. We found the deceased in the flat below the lower Tumbling Rapids bridge..."
S**t

I'm not at all familiar with the way points on the Sol Duc and am just looking on Google Maps. But this makes it sound like the deceased was found well below where the boat was found, which is opposite of what I would've expected. Perhaps the boat was beached for fishing and the mishap occured while he was wading?

Very sad either way, and it's a hard thing to envision the details of what went down that morning, and imagine yourself in his position.

andy

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
"... I heard from my neighbor that the boat was found just below Hillstrom. We found the deceased in the flat below the lower Tumbling Rapids bridge..."

I'm not at all familiar with the way points on the Sol Duc and am just looking on Google Maps. But this makes it sound like the deceased was found well below where the boat was found, which is opposite of what I would've expected. Perhaps the boat was beached for fishing and the mishap occured while he was wading?

Very sad either way, and it's a hard thing to envision the details of what went down that morning, and imagine yourself in his position.

andy
Hi Merle,
From the article- "boat stuck in a log jam".

So given that, it actually is more likely that he would be downstream of the craft. If you get tossed out because the boat hangs/snags then you're going for a swim and the boat stays there.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Hi Merle,
From the article- "boat stuck in a log jam".

So given that, it actually is more likely that he would be downstream of the craft. If you get tossed out because the boat hangs/snags then you're going for a swim and the boat stays there.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
That is so sad! But like many have said it was a good thing you discovered him and his family can have closure. The unknowing would be the worst of all the kind of pains out there I'd imagine.