SFR Cats and salmon...

Sorta fishing-related

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
At my old house I warned my neighbors about the cats sitting on the hood of my car and clawing the s*** out of it as they ran off. After a couple warnings and no results I got out the old cat trap and the cats were gone forever. Problem solved.

I have the same problem with my house in downtown puyallup, I'm about to break out the old cat trap.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Especially in coyote country which is pretty much everywhere except downtown these days. One sat just outside my fence this weekend and watched me mow half my yard before trotting off. Probably to go eat the neighbor's Bichon or cat that they let wander around...

Agreed on the other posts. I love cats and would always keep them inside except for a few cases like where the benefits of a barn mouser outweigh the impacts.
They're downtown too, Thomas.

I've seen coyotes recently in the U-district in Seattle, also near Woodland Park Zoo. One of them had to be rescued and released from a Seattle highrise elevator a few years ago too.

They're crafty critters that seem to be able to adapt anywhere there's some shelter and a food source... like tasty "Puss-N-Boots' or "Meow Mix" fed cats.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I had a cat in Southern California that absolutely ravished any pelagic fish. She would chaw on the raw flesh like a demon. Swordfish, Albacore, Ahi, Shark etc.. But when I presented her with a non pelagic fish such as Halibut, White Sea Bass or Corvrina.... she just looked at me in disgust.....Cats are trippy.

Shad

Life of the Party
Update: keep an eye out for new posts, because I fear I may not have much time left.

This is the look I got when I tried to take a sweet, peaceful photo of Mr. Pierre sleeping for my daughter...
20231014_181454.jpg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Cats won't get salmon poisoning... never say never, I guess. There are other things that could possibly be in raw fish that might lead to problems, but nothing specifically identified. Freezing is pretty good at killing parasites (but not bacteria), cooking is the easiest way.

We have talked a bit about this before, but the salmon poisoning infections process is pretty interesting. There is a bacteria (Neorickettsia) inside a parasite Nanophytus) inside the fish, that causes the actual disease in canines. The bacteria doesn't cause disease in the fish (or in the parasite), but it gets out of both hosts and causes disease in the dogs.

My dog got salmon poisoning from licking grass after I had cleaned a steelhead, there was basically only slime and washings from the fish that were on the grass.

Apparently dogs can also get it from eating salamanders.
I couldn't help but think back about our lab. We lived close to the Dungeness River, the dog would wander down to the river and roll in a rotting salmon carcass then come home with this slimy back that stunk to high heaven. My brother and I drew the short straw and would put on our barn boots and take the dog to the irrigation ditch to wash him.

Back to cats (our cat LOVED Dungeness crab).