SFR Cats and salmon...

Sorta fishing-related

Shad

Life of the Party
Question on skin: I don't eat it, so I never scale my fish. Should I scale fish if I plan to feed my cat the skin?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Question on skin: I don't eat it, so I never scale my fish. Should I scale fish if I plan to feed my cat the skin?

I generally did for my own cooking preferences, but I don’t think you’d have to.
I think your cat will still eat it with the scales.
SF

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
While dogs have definitely lost the plot since being domesticated, cats have not. They are all feral at heart. If I had a salmon bearing stream on my property it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to find a half eaten salmon on my door mat. I’ve given my two cats raw salmon scraps plenty of times and don’t think twice about it. They really love the cooked skin and the bones. That’s a real treat to them. They don’t have the same issue with salmon poisoning as dogs, so raw fish is just another predators meal to them. I’m sure they’d prefer it alive and trying to escape. Cats are killers, and I appreciate that about them except when they let the prey loose in the house.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
While dogs have definitely lost the plot since being domesticated, cats have not. They are all feral at heart. If I had a salmon bearing stream on my property it wouldn’t surprise me in the least to find a half eaten salmon on my door mat. I’ve given my two cats raw salmon scraps plenty of times and don’t think twice about it. They really love the cooked skin and the bones. That’s a real treat to them. They don’t have the same issue with salmon poisoning as dogs, so raw fish is just another predators meal to them. I’m sure they’d prefer it alive and trying to escape. Cats are killers, and I appreciate that about them except when they let the prey loose in the house.

If I put a salmon on the back deck to fillet and leave to get a knife my cat will have started. She loves raw salmon and albacore. She's very healthy and is clearly stoked on raw fish.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Almost the same # killed by flying into windows
My cats are hired to kill mice
Rats
Bunnies
Moles
Weasels
Etc
I’ve found if you don’t encourage birds by feeding them the cats aren’t that much of a factor
I guess I feel differently than you
Sounds like we could both benefit from having a good dog. To take care of those critters you mention and to let me enjoy feeding birds without worrying about cats. However as far as I can determine your comment about windows killing the same number of birds is unfounded. Anything we can do to help wild birds is worthwhile. Your cat kills bunnies and weasels?

RCF

Life of the Party
Our cat killed moles, squirrels, chipmunks and one mountain beaver. All (at least parts) were left at the rear door to our house.

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
Cats won't get salmon poisoning... never say never, I guess. There are other things that could possibly be in raw fish that might lead to problems, but nothing specifically identified. Freezing is pretty good at killing parasites (but not bacteria), cooking is the easiest way.

We have talked a bit about this before, but the salmon poisoning infections process is pretty interesting. There is a bacteria (Neorickettsia) inside a parasite Nanophytus) inside the fish, that causes the actual disease in canines. The bacteria doesn't cause disease in the fish (or in the parasite), but it gets out of both hosts and causes disease in the dogs.

My dog got salmon poisoning from licking grass after I had cleaned a steelhead, there was basically only slime and washings from the fish that were on the grass.

Apparently dogs can also get it from eating salamanders.

Otter

Steelhead
Axel - predator in training
Although he looks pretty chill:
View attachment 84461
He doesn’t look at all chill to me. Look at those calculating eyes, sending distance and trajectory information to his brain. In a tenth of a second, his claws could be in your skin! That’s what I love about cats; they’ve never been really tamed. I love dogs too, but there’s just something about living with a wild animal that pretends to be a “pet.”

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Cats won't get salmon poisoning... never say never, I guess. There are other things that could possibly be in raw fish that might lead to problems, but nothing specifically identified. Freezing is pretty good at killing parasites (but not bacteria), cooking is the easiest way.

We have talked a bit about this before, but the salmon poisoning infections process is pretty interesting. There is a bacteria (Neorickettsia) inside a parasite Nanophytus) inside the fish, that causes the actual disease in canines. The bacteria doesn't cause disease in the fish (or in the parasite), but it gets out of both hosts and causes disease in the dogs.

My dog got salmon poisoning from licking grass after I had cleaned a steelhead, there was basically only slime and washings from the fish that were on the grass.

Sorry to thread drift from cats, but does anyone know if the salmon poisoning is an issue with salt caught salmon? I may need to be a little more careful with my fish processing at home.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter

Interesting topic.

There are populations of wolves in coastal BC and SE Alaska that eat salmon, apparently without consequences. I have videos stashed away that my father took of wolves catching and devouring salmon in a creek up there somewhere. Not only is it a common annual occurrence, but salmon is a staple part of their diet, along with other seafood.

Some studies show that this population of wolves only eat the head in order to avoid the toxicity. But it’s hard to understand how that would keep them from contacting other parts of the fish that could affect them. Perhaps this particular strain of wolves have evolved to not be affected by it.

Apologize for the thread drift away from cats.

Divad

Whitefish
So I'm reading posts on a "do you have bird pics" thread and see this one about cats. Let me be the bad guy and put a little damper on all you cat lovers and remind you that domestic cats are an invasive species responsible for approx. 2.4 billion (BILLION) bird deaths in the lower 48 each year. I have a close friend and fishing buddy that owns a cat and he does the right thing by keeping it indoors. He provides everything the cat needs inside his home which is the only way to prevent bird predation by cats. I listened to a acquaintance say that cats killing birds is just nature and I disagreed. Domestic cats killing our song birds is a crime against nature that can be avoided. They look cute and cuddly to you but not to a bird. Please keep them inside.
YES! The cats near the family cabin kill multiple ducklings every spring and run amuck on others properties. I find this infuriating as cat owners will always say "oh but they cause no harm, they're fine." They sh!t outside on neighboring property which is also annoying. Meanwhile my dog is under supervision, when he poops I pick it up, he doesn't go murdering the waterfowl or hummingbirds and doesn't prance around on others property. Blows me away people think letting your cat out is okay.

Shad

Life of the Party
YES! The cats near the family cabin kill multiple ducklings every spring and run amuck on others properties. I find this infuriating as cat owners will always say "oh but they cause no harm, they're fine." They sh!t outside on neighboring property which is also annoying. Meanwhile my dog is under supervision, when he poops I pick it up, he doesn't go murdering the waterfowl or hummingbirds and doesn't prance around on others property. Blows me away people think letting your cat out is okay.
I pretty much agree with this. Seems like the kill ratio on species I LIKE to species we call "pests" was always at least 3:1. Loved seeing dead/dying rats on the porch; little song birds not so much.

Even if you don't care about what your cat can (and probably will) do to wild critters, you ought to consider what can happen to your cat out in the wild. I lost two amazing cats this way... just straight up disappeared and never came back after years of great companionship. If you want to be sure to keep them around, keep them inside. That you're helping out the local wildlife may or may not be a great bonus....

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Even if you don't care about what your cat can (and probably will) do to wild critters, you ought to consider what can happen to your cat out in the wild. I lost two amazing cats this way... just straight up disappeared and never came back after years of great companionship. If you want to be sure to keep them around, keep them inside. That you're helping out the local wildlife may or may not be a great bonus....
Especially in coyote country which is pretty much everywhere except downtown these days. One sat just outside my fence this weekend and watched me mow half my yard before trotting off. Probably to go eat the neighbor's Bichon or cat that they let wander around...

Agreed on the other posts. I love cats and would always keep them inside except for a few cases like where the benefits of a barn mouser outweigh the impacts.