SFR Cats and salmon...

Sorta fishing-related

Shad

Life of the Party
So, everyone knows cats love fish, and there are all kinds of salmon-based foods and treats on the market. That said, I know it's not safe to feed dogs salmon caught from most of our local rivers, because most of our rivers have a parasite that gets into salmon and can be lethal to them. Does that same parasite affect cats in a similar way?

I've got a new feline friend around my place, and I'd like to share some fresh salmon with him if I can, but I'd hate to give him something that might hurt him. This was 2 weeks ago; he's about twice as big now....
20230917_185301.jpg

BriGuy

Life of the Party
So, everyone knows cats love fish, and there are all kinds of salmon-based foods and treats on the market. That said, I know it's not safe to feed dogs salmon caught from most of our local rivers, because most of our rivers have a parasite that gets into salmon and can be lethal to them. Does that same parasite affect cats in a similar way?

I've got a new feline friend around my place, and I'd like to share some fresh salmon with him if I can, but I'd hate to give him something that might hurt him. This was 2 weeks ago; he's about twice as big now....
View attachment 84371

Cute kitty! It will have all of you wrapped around its little paw.

Personally, I wouldn't risk the salmon until you at least get the go-ahead from the vet.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter

View attachment 84371

Cute kitty.

Had 2 pups that got salmon poisoning - caught in time and right as rain after a day on treatment.

Cats apparently do not get salmon poisoning (nor do humans)

"The disease is mainly seen in domestic dogs, wolves, coyotes, and foxes, although it has also been reported in black bears"

Still, not sure I would give him locally caught raw salmon, just to be safe.

cheers

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So I'm reading posts on a "do you have bird pics" thread and see this one about cats. Let me be the bad guy and put a little damper on all you cat lovers and remind you that domestic cats are an invasive species responsible for approx. 2.4 billion (BILLION) bird deaths in the lower 48 each year. I have a close friend and fishing buddy that owns a cat and he does the right thing by keeping it indoors. He provides everything the cat needs inside his home which is the only way to prevent bird predation by cats. I listened to a acquaintance say that cats killing birds is just nature and I disagreed. Domestic cats killing our song birds is a crime against nature that can be avoided. They look cute and cuddly to you but not to a bird. Please keep them inside.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So I'm reading posts on a "do you have bird pics" thread and see this one about cats. Let me be the bad guy and put a little damper on all you cat lovers and remind you that domestic cats are an invasive species responsible for approx. 2.4 billion (BILLION) bird deaths in the lower 48 each year. I have a close friend and fishing buddy that owns a cat and he does the right thing by keeping it indoors. He provides everything the cat needs inside his home which is the only way to prevent bird predation by cats. I listened to a acquaintance say that cats killing birds is just nature and I disagreed. Domestic cats killing our song birds is a crime against nature that can be avoided. They look cute and cuddly to you but not to a bird. Please keep them inside.
Almost the same # killed by flying into windows
My cats are hired to kill mice
Rats
Bunnies
Moles
Weasels
Etc
I’ve found if you don’t encourage birds by feeding them the cats aren’t that much of a factor
I guess I feel differently than you

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
My cat as well as my dog loved cooked salmon. For some reason the skin in particular. I’d cut it up and they’d both just chow it down. Maybe it was the fat attached to it being the reason they liked it so much. I don’t know if it was good or bad for them, but they both lived 15 years without it killing them.
SF

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Almost the same # killed by flying into windws
My cats are hired to kill mice
Rats
Bunnies
Moles
Weasels
Etc
I’ve found if you don’t encourage birds by feeding them the cats aren’t that much of a factor
I guess I feel differently than you
We are looking at getting a couple barn cats because the mice were so bad this year, like a plague.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
My cat as well as my dog loved cooked salmon. For some reason the skin in particular. I’d cut it up and they’d both just chow it down. Maybe it was the fat attached to it being the reason they liked it so much. I don’t know if it was good or bad for them, but they both lived 15 years without it killing them.
SF
I feed my dogs cooked salmon often.
They love it skin too.
Have always done it.

RCF

Life of the Party
Our cat loves cooked salmon. Been feeding it salmon for years. He is my wife's best buddy when cooking and eating it for dinner. Will not leave her side and is constantly talking to her "my turn - do not forget me"...