Bread Thread

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Over-proofed again. I watched it like a hawk all day, checked it every half hour, dough rose about 65%. Went in the fridge overnight. Felt good about the dough last night. Dough temp was 73-72 degrees all day, so wouldn’t expect a ton of fermentation in the fridge on the final proof. But he we are again. I didn’t bake it long enough either as I like a thicker, crunchier crust. Tastes good, makes great toast. Another try next week.
We've all been there; hell I was there for a pit stop last month ,🤷‍♂️
You'll get it dialed it! When you say it rose 65% is that from end of stretch and folds or from first mixing in the starter?

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
IMG_1654.jpeg
I fully expected this to be severely under proofed. I had almost no rise after nearly six hours of bulk fermentation, but the dough felt good. This recipe uses an autolyze and I end up with a pretty stiff dough. It’s hard to do the initial stretch and folds after the first stretch. I preshaped, bench rest, then shaped into batard, and left it on the counter for 90 min before overnight refrigeration. I did three diagonal scores across the loaf and then got this weird looking rise on the bake. It appears only one of the scores opened widely. I thought I would find a “fools crumb” but the crumb seems pretty good really.
IMG_1655.jpeg

So my reading of the crumb seems like it’s proofed pretty well? Would like your opinions on that. Thanks.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
View attachment 104824
I fully expected this to be severely under proofed. I had almost no rise after nearly six hours of bulk fermentation, but the dough felt good. This recipe uses an autolyze and I end up with a pretty stiff dough. It’s hard to do the initial stretch and folds after the first stretch. I preshaped, bench rest, then shaped into batard, and left it on the counter for 90 min before overnight refrigeration. I did three diagonal scores across the loaf and then got this weird looking rise on the bake. It appears only one of the scores opened widely. I thought I would find a “fools crumb” but the crumb seems pretty good really.
View attachment 104827

So my reading of the crumb seems like it’s proofed pretty well? Would like your opinions on that. Thanks.
Crumb looks nice! I'm not sure what's up with that. Maybe a mixing issue?

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Hey guys, I got a new oven with a steam baking option. Anyone ever try that steam bake for sourdough?
Oh you fancy! I've never been so lucky, but steam plus fan eliminates the need for a Dutch oven or other covered baking vessel. Run with steam for however long that you would have the lid on the DO then cut the steam.

Someday I'll have a machine like that when we can afford to do our dream kitchen remodel 😁

Reactions: Zak

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oh you fancy! I've never been so lucky, but steam plus fan eliminates the need for a Dutch oven or other covered baking vessel. Run with steam for however long that you would have the lid on the DO then cut the steam.

Someday I'll have a machine like that when we can afford to do our dream kitchen remodel 😁
Gary you can come bake bread at my house any time!! 😄 Cool tips. My old three footed Dutch oven always falls over on the oven rack so that will save a ton of headache.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
PSA (especially to @Gary Knowels)

I had been waiting for like 2 months for Cairn Springs to get the 1109 back in stock. Yesterday I finally realized I should email them to see when they should expect it and they informed me they unfortunately discontinued it. They recommended T85 Sequoia (1109 was also a T85) as a replacement. They call it an AP flour, but I've never seen an AP flour as T85 🤣. I just went whole hog and ordered my usually 50lb sack of Glacier Peak and a 50lb back of the Sequoia. I'll report back

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Thank
PSA (especially to @Gary Knowels)

I had been waiting for like 2 months for Cairn Springs to get the 1109 back in stock. Yesterday I finally realized I should email them to see when they should expect it and they informed me they unfortunately discontinued it. They recommended T85 Sequoia (1109 was also a T85) as a replacement. They call it an AP flour, but I've never seen an AP flour as T85 🤣. I just went whole hog and ordered my usually 50lb sack of Glacier Peak and a 50lb back of the Sequoia. I'll report back
Thanks for the heads up! I tried a small bag of Sequoia and liked it in buttermilk biscuits and focaccia. I've been using Edison for my AP recently and like it even more than Sequoia for similar purposes. The Edison is sweet, buttery, nutty. The Sequoia is closer to 1109 for sure.

I'm only halfway through my current GP bag so I have a bit before I order more.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Gary you can come bake bread at my house any time!! 😄 Cool tips. My old three footed Dutch oven always falls over on the oven rack so that will save a ton of headache.
Don't threaten me with a good time! One of these weekends I can throw a couple loaves together and bring them over ready to bake and we can do a little protocol testing.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I've been making a lot of 7 or 8 out of 10 level bread lately. I think it's because I've been more focused on pumping out bread for us to eat and fitting it in the schedule wherever. Yesterday I went back to basics a little, working on the dough's time instead of mine, and turned out a couple of loaves that are as close to perfect as it gets for me.
IMG20240303091912.jpgIMG20240303091930.jpg
I think my last starter maintenance was causing it to be overly acidic and working against gluten strength. I made a couple of adjustments and I'm much happier with the dough.
IMG20240303120543.jpg

This is my favorite level of openness of crumb.
IMG20240303120700.jpg

The dough was 8% Skagit 1109, 12% white rye, the rest was glacier peak. 80% hydration.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Our neighbor is 7 months pregnant and told us that she has been having INTENSE cravings for cinnamon rolls and that she's been disappointed by what was available at the local cafes...well challenge accepted! Let's hope these hit the spot for her, they certainly did for us.
IMG20240303140416.jpgIMG20240303144609.jpg