Bread Thread

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Working on my boule shaping technique...it still needs work
IMG20240128130303.jpgIMG20240128130310.jpg
My wife ran across this loaf on social media and asked me to make it.
IMG20240128134349.jpg

380 g AP flour (Cairnspring Edison)
50 g sugar
50 g Dutch process cocoa powder
8 g salt
280 g water
125 g sourdough starter
Some milk chocolate chocolate chips thrown in during shaping

It's a bit underproofed and poorly shapen but tastes phenomenal with a spread of butter
IMG20240128134333.jpgIMG20240128151318.jpg

Theron

Keeper of the bees
Forum Supporter
Have you tried cold proofing in the refrigerator? It works well for me. I also use a banneton to proof and it seems to give a nice shape.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Anyone have a good Bagel recipe?
16 oz bread flour
8 oz warm water. Given approx 30% RH
8 oz fed starter
1 oz barley malt
1-1/2 tsp sea salt
Mix everything but salt until shaggy.
Rest for 30 minutes.
Knead until smooth. The dough needs to be firm and somewhat dry.
Bulk proof until doubled in size.
Divide into 4-5 oz balls
Bench rest for 30 minutes
Shape in bagel form by either piercing the center and forming, or by rope method.
Place bagels on a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat or cornmeal dusted parchment paper.
Ferment in fridge for 8 hours.
Boil in .5 - 1.5% sodium hydroxide (lye) solution. 1 minute per side.
Drain on a wire rack. This is when to add toppings.
Place boiled and drained back on the lined cookie sheet. If using parchment, make sure it's well dusted with cornmeal.
Back in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes
Drop oven temperature to 400 and bake for another 10 minutes, or until done 200 degrees internal temperature.
Cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
Enjoy!

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
If you go much above 15% rye, you're gonna need to add some gluten. At least that's my experience.
With high protein bread flour (Cairnspring Glacier Peak for me) I can push it to 30% by dropping hydration 5%, adding an extra set of stretch and folds, and knowing that it won't gain the same openness of crumb.

Last edited:

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Over-proofed again. I watched it like a hawk all day, checked it every half hour, dough rose about 65%. Went in the fridge overnight. Felt good about the dough last night. Dough temp was 73-72 degrees all day, so wouldn’t expect a ton of fermentation in the fridge on the final proof. But he we are again. I didn’t bake it long enough either as I like a thicker, crunchier crust. Tastes good, makes great toast. Another try next week.