Bobber fishing rod? What'cha using?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is probably a "Gear" thread, but the folks I want to ask are more likely hanging out here in "Lakes" so here's my question...

For those hard core bobber fishermen (boxes full of a myriad of secret chironomid recipes in every size from #20 to #8, long leaders, anchors on their floating device, thermos for coffee or other, etc), do you have a specialized rod for long leader indicator fishing? If so, please let us know about it.

Pic just for fun

IMG_0436.jpg

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So, this is an interesting question. I have talked to several people about this and the answer is like everything, it depends.

I personally set up a rod for deep water "bobber watching". I prefer a stiffer backed rod for "deep water"/ long leader fishing, as this makes swinging the long leader up and out with my "rodeo retrieve and cast" easier. I like a faster tip for the fight. I use a 9ft rod but know several guys that have gone to 10 or 11ft rods.

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
I tried a 10' rod but it hurt my old wrist so bad, I sold it. 9' fast rod with releasing bobbers gets me down to ~ 20'. More and I go straight down with a sinking line. You have to learn to lob/flop cast the junk. You also do not have to cast far.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I’ve used 8, 9, and 10 foot 5 wt rods. I prefer 9 or 10 foot. What has helped me most is using a weight forward floating line or even an indicator line when fishing a bobber,… I mean indicator.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Keep three 9' 6 wts in the skiff for bobbers as the fish on Crane and Paulina get sizeable, Fenwick Aetos and Echo Ion XL. Give the slight nod to the Aetos...doesn't really matter, however, chucking a slip strike indicator and a fly or two strung on 12' - 20' of leader short range isn't exactly tournament casting.

Triggw

Steelhead
I fish a 9 1/2 ft 6 wt Sage VXP with fighting butt with a SA Anadro WF6F line. It's a medium fast rod that works well for getting the unwieldy rig out there and landing larger fish. Carry a 9 ft 6wt Orvis Helios rigged with a dry or for when I want to streamer.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
You know me Ron….I fish bamboo Hotrodz mostly under 7’ with indicator depths up to 11’…..Chuck and duck! Any need to fish deeper…..I’ll just move to a shallower area. Lastly like mentioned, I’ll fish vertically with a wet line….but the bobber goes under without a fish on??!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
5' Zebco spincast and a slip bobber. After surveying all the equipment variations used for so called high falutin' chironomid fishing, I realized that going back to what many of us started out with is perhaps the most efficient bobber fishing tool of all.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
10’+ for most my deep stuff with an indicator. I can cast 30’ of leader two flies and an indicator 60’ with my NRX + 4wt. You don’t have to cast that far, but sometimes it helps me zero in on an area, and or let’s me play with retrieves.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
10’+ for most my deep stuff with an indicator. I can cast 30’ of leader two flies and an indicator 60’ with my NRX + 4wt. You don’t have to cast that far, but sometimes it helps me zero in on an area, and or let’s me play with retrieves.
Hi Ira. I recall you mentioning how much you like that rod. I got an extra class this quarter and I'm leaning toward getting the same rod instead of a more dedicated euro stick. Thanks for chiming in and mentioning it.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Hi Ira. I recall you mentioning how much you like that rod. I got an extra class this quarter and I'm leaning toward getting the same rod instead of a more dedicated euro stick. Thanks for chiming in and mentioning it.
Tom, you are forbidden from getting any new angling gear that might make you still more effective. You already haul the fish out two and three at a time. Might as well just get a cast net from here.
Signed,
The Fish

Russell

Steelhead
I still have my original glx 10’ 4wt that I bought in the 90’s and used to fish 25’ leaders at pass lake and kamloops.
Now it’s job is swinging soft hackles for 1/2 pounders.