Bobber fishing rod? What'cha using?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I use the same 6 wt rod for everything, a V2 Scott and just 3diffeent lines, a WF floater, a sink tip, and a type 5 full sinking line.

And surprise surprise I seem to catch fish just fine and generally as well or better than other around me. I guess refuse to buy into the manufacturers hype of needing a different rod for every style of fishing.

Baah Humbug!!

Dave
Dave - do you carry three V2 Scott's or do you re-rig the rod when changing techniques while on the water? ;-)

DSCF2289.JPG

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I use the same 6 wt rod for everything, a V2 Scott and just 3diffeent lines, a WF floater, a sink tip, and a type 5 full sinking line.

And surprise surprise I seem to catch fish just fine and generally as well or better than other around me. I guess refuse to buy into the manufacturers hype of needing a different rod for every style of fishing.

Baah Humbug!!

Dave
Hi Dave! I totally agree with you, you could’ve done that with that bamboo rod…..

GOTY

Steelhead
10’+ for most my deep stuff with an indicator. I can cast 30’ of leader two flies and an indicator 60’ with my NRX + 4wt. You don’t have to cast that far, but sometimes it helps me zero in on an area, and or let’s me play with retrieves.
60'? I seem to recall you casting that setup less than 2 feet when your back cast snags my 30' of leader two flies and an indicator. Nothing better than untangling 60 feet of small fluorocarbon and 4 flies.

And yes I was definitely casting first 😂

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Talking about tangles. I've been using a trick from my corky salmon rigs as used by us so called flossers. I been making indicator rigs in advance, using two flies. Usually spaced at three foot lengths. So it's three foot leader to a top fly plus three foot to the bottom one. I take the loose end and start wrapping it around a piece of 2 inch pipe insulation foam. I pin the loose end with the coil and wind it until I get to the first fly. I make some tension and stab the hook in the foam and keep winding until I get to the second (bottom) fly which is also stabbed into the foam. That makes one rig. I have 8 rigs on 9 inch long hunk of foam. I use various combinations. If my rig isn't working I just snip it off at the swivel, wind it back on and wind off my next desired one. If I get a bad tangle, F-it, I snip off the whole mess, unwind a new one and off I go..

20240202_222801.jpg

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Talking about tangles. I've been using a trick from my corky salmon rigs as used by us so called flossers. I been making indicator rigs in advance, using two flies. Usually spaced at three foot lengths. So it's three foot leader to a top fly plus three foot to the bottom one. I take the loose end and start wrapping it around a piece of 2 inch pipe insulation foam. I pin the loose end with the coil and wind it until I get to the first fly. I make some tension and stab the hook in the foam and keep winding until I get to the second (bottom) fly which is also stabbed into the foam. That makes one rig. I have 8 rigs on 9 inch long hunk of foam. I use various combinations. If my rig isn't working I just snip it off at the swivel, wind it back on and wind off my next desired one. If I get a bad tangle, F-it, I snip off the whole mess, unwind a new one and off I go..

View attachment 101933
Nice to do with two fly rigs for Montana also.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

View attachment 101933
Any issues with coil memory? I use a similar technique with a rectangle of packing foam, yours is better. Thanks//Pat

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
60'? I seem to recall you casting that setup less than 2 feet when your back cast snags my 30' of leader two flies and an indicator. Nothing better than untangling 60 feet of small fluorocarbon and 4 flies.

And yes I was definitely casting first 😂
Nah, you messed up with your 82nd false cast and I thought you were actually, finally done messin around enough for me to sneak out a cast.

Last edited: