Beer (Without the Alcohol)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
NA - non-alcohol? Do these NA beers folks are talking about have alcohol in them? AB in the image above apparently does: "contains less that 0.5% alcohol". Is there a NA beer that has 0.0% alcohol. Asking for me.
For most people the concept of a "non alcohol" beer is anything under 0.5% ABV. Which I think is also the legal limit for a "NA" beer. After all, even kombucha has a slight bit of alcohol due to it being a fermented product. So most of the ones on the market do list a bit of alcohol in them. This is especially true for anything that is trying to be a NA "microbrew" style.

The Budweiser Zero I posted about above is one of the few that lists "0%" ABV, as does Heineken NA. Though if one were militant about not having ANY alcohol, I might do a bit more research as I have no idea if "0%" actually means "under 0.04%" or something.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Thanks y’all! Yes. This one looks interesting To me. I’m going to look for this for my new Seahawks beer. (Haha…. I’m afraid this year is going to be stressful and will make me want to overindulge. )

What y’all say about NA beer here has me interested. I am going to look for it at stores like Harbor Greens or Tacoma Boys or Metro Market.
Jojo- if there is a TWAM (Total Wine And More) near you then that’s a good place to look. It’s where I go to find my Sam Adams Just The Haze NA. They have a decent NA beer section with lots of little know makers to try. I usually see several dark ones there but haven’t tried them all. Good luck!

Andy

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
The Budweiser Zero I posted about above is one of the few that lists "0%" ABV, as does Heineken NA. Though if one were militant about not having ANY alcohol, I might do a bit more research as I have no idea if "0%" actually means "under 0.04%" or something.
Another good one if you want a really light beer on a hot day is Busch NA. I like it more than the Bud Zero. It’s tougher to find in stores but I’ve found it at Walmart and TWAM, and sometimes even at gas station mini-marts.

I can’t say if it’s truly 0% or just <.5% but I can clark them down all day long and never feel anything remotely close to a buzz.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
"not more than 0.5% alchohol" seems like it is more lawyer talk than anything else.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Several innocent sparkling juices have alcohol. We buy the IKEA sparkling pear juice and it has .2%. Or so it says…. I wonder, I swear when the young kids drink more than two glasses of it they are bouncing off the walls and making fun of us adults…. Personally I can’t drink more than one. To filling and to sweet for my palate.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another thing I’ll add and regards to bears/guns. Each of our pontoon had a shotgun loaded with what’s called seal shot. Meant to cause harm/pain but not kill. I’m no gun expert that is what I was told. Although there were some real shells too. Anyways….. the thing is you bank your pontoon, step out and start fishing off the bank. Next thing you know you have worked your way 30-40-50-100 plus yards away from your landing. That shotgun laying in your pontoon boat ain’t gonna help you. But honestly in 2004 the bears up there ran away from you for the most part. They were scared, there were a couple that stood their ground in the water. They were fishing too. Probably because we approached their immediate food source. We banged the oars, yelled, stayed wide on the water from them and passed them. It was all good.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When I say stay wide it may have been about ten yards at best…. Reason for making noise and all.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Another thing I’ll add and regards to bears/guns. Each of our pontoon had a shotgun loaded with what’s called seal shot. Meant to cause harm/pain but not kill. I’m no gun expert that is what I was told. Although there were some real shells too. Anyways….. the thing is you bank your pontoon, step out and start fishing off the bank. Next thing you know you have worked your way 30-40-50-100 plus yards away from your landing. That shotgun laying in your pontoon boat ain’t gonna help you. But honestly in 2004 the bears up there ran away from you for the most part. They were scared, there were a couple that stood their ground in the water. They were fishing too. Probably because we approached their immediate food source. We banged the oars, yelled, stayed wide on the water from them and passed them. It was all good.
We're you drinking NA beer on the float so you can stay sharp for the bears?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Think we took one case of coors light which lasted among 4 days and nothing else until we got back to Dillingham that I remember.
No NA beer either. Bunch of purified water, coffee, and tea.

There were not that many bear encounters maybe 8-10 for 7 day float. With many being a surprise and them turning and running. I’m sure more saw us then we saw of them.

Following protocol and advice regarding what to do when bears near. It worked.

Unless things have changed which they do…
Make noise, stay as far away as possible, and pass them on the river . Sound right to you?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Think we took one case of coors light which lasted among 4 days and nothing else until we got back to Dillingham that I remember.

There were not that many bear encounters maybe 8-10 for 7 day float.
Not any beer encounters either it sounds like.
;)

Uptonogood

PNW raised
For those with recognized/acknowledged issues with alcohol: drinking non alcohol beer makes as much sense as someone who says they quit smoking but still put lit cigarettes in their mouths saying, “It’s not smoking because I don’t inhale.”.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
It’s not possible to have beer without alcohol.
I'd say there's a number of people in this thread, and a lot of professional brewers who would disagree with that. Let us have this discussion without turning it in to a debate, mmkay? There's a lot of people who love beer who for a long list of reasons, cannot have alcohol.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
For those with recognized/acknowledged issues with alcohol: drinking non alcohol beer makes as much sense as someone who says they quit smoking but still put lit cigarettes in their mouths saying, “It’s not smoking because I don’t inhale.”.
I know a few recovered alcoholics who drink some of the products in this thread without any issues. I'd say this statement can vary from person to person by quite a bit.

There's also a great many who don't like the effects alcohol has on them who don't have addiction problems, like myself, who find it an excellent alternative.

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Personally, I like the taste of some beers but do not want the alcohol. So I forgive you for making an absurd analogy.

Xoxo

Jojo- if there is a TWAM (Total Wine And More) near you then that’s a good place to look. It’s where I go to find my Sam Adams Just The Haze NA. They have a decent NA beer section with lots of little know makers to try. I usually see several dark ones there but haven’t tried them all. Good luck!

Andy
Thank you @Merle. I haven’t found it yet but do have a Total Wine close by So I will look there.

i love dark beer but what I drink ( Irish Death and Dragon’s Milk ) is high in alcohol. Dragon’s milk is 11 percent alcohol! i could get pretty inebriated by the end of a Seahawk game, so switching out is a good thing for me . I still want to party but not pay for it the next day.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
Personally, I like the taste of some beers but do not want the alcohol. So I forgive you for making an absurd analogy.
Well, then you probably understand the difference between “sober” and “dry”? If a cocaine addict said, “I don’t do cocaine now but I enjoy smelling the cocaine cutting agent mix of :
  • Laundry detergent
  • Laxatives
  • Caffeine
  • Boric acid
  • Local anesthetics like procaine
  • Creatine.”.
What would you say to that cocaine addict?

Thinking a little further, I wonder why you don’t see candy cigarettes sold like in old days? Or bubble gum cigars?

Just an old mind, well versed in addictions work, reflecting different levels of recovery thoughts, as absurd as some may see them.