Beer (Without the Alcohol)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
My relationship with beer is weird and continues to get weirder. A good beer is one of my favorite things on the planet. Alcohol happens to be one of my least favorite. So you can see why this has always been a conflict for me. So I drink very sparingly, and typically one or two at most when I do.

On a recent fishing trip, a friend who is a recovering alcoholic introduced me to Athletic Brewing. Had one of their IPAs while rowing myself down a coastal OR stream. Was pleasantly surprised that it actually tasted like a real beer. Most probably wouldn't even second guess it if they tried it without being told first.

Anyone had another brand like this they like? Trying to find a few more. I will still continue to buy my regulars as I doubt some of the german pilsners I enjoy so much will ever be done properly like this, but some of the "bigger" flavored beers do just fine. It's nice to have options.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I dunno, but my liver needs a break. I'm follow wing this thread because I like what my liver does for me, but I also really like beer. Looking for alternatives (that taste like it should).

Edit: 😂🤣 just saw my stupid autocorrect....

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Most the time, seltzer water scratches the itch for me. Turns out that a bitter, carbonated beverage is all I'm wanting. But sometimes a beer can't be matched.
Not beer, but there's a lot of good bitter cocktail type stuff out there these days.

This mixed with Seltzer is pretty great.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Not beer, but there's a lot of good bitter cocktail type stuff out there these days.

This mixed with Seltzer is pretty great.
I'll check it out. One of my favorite "drinks" with dinner or just during the evening is seltzer and bitters.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I quit alcohol 198 days ago and the NA beers have been a godsend. Turns out I really just liked the whole ritual of drinking and the NA IPAs scratch that itch perfectly without all the added negative side effects of the alcohol (poor sleep, next day "hangxiety", etc...).

TWAM (Total Wine and More) has a great selection and I've tried most of what they have. I like all the Athletic IPAs, but my favorite so far is Sam Adams "Just the Haze" IPA. It's not quite as hoppy and bitter as most of the Athletic ones, and a bit cheaper. I also really like the Sober Carpenter Irish Red. It comes in a 4 pack of Tall Boy 16 oz cans and are only 45 calories.

The only one so far I can't stomache is one made by I think "Hairless Dog"... I had to pour those down the drain they were so awful.

I wish there were more NA options at the local grocery stores, but I usually make a run to TWAM each weekend and load up on however many sixers of the Sam Adams they have on the shelf (which usually is less than 4 or 5), and grab a couple Sober Carpenter packs if they have any. It's also an excuse to go to Sportsmans Warehouse which is just a couple doors down. :)

-andy

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I quit alcohol 198 days ago and the NA beers have been a godsend. Turns out I really just liked the whole ritual of drinking and the NA IPAs scratch that itch perfectly without all the added negative side effects of the alcohol (poor sleep, next day "hangxiety", etc...).

TWAM (Total Wine and More) has a great selection and I've tried most of what they have. I like all the Athletic IPAs, but my favorite so far is Sam Adams "Just the Haze" IPA. It's not quite as hoppy and bitter as most of the Athletic ones, and a bit cheaper. I also really like the Sober Carpenter Irish Red. It comes in a 4 pack of Tall Boy 16 oz cans and are only 45 calories.

The only one so far I can't stomache is one made by I think "Hairless Dog"... I had to pour those down the drain they were so awful.

I wish there were more NA options at the local grocery stores, but I usually make a run to TWAM each weekend and load up on however many sixers of the Sam Adams they have on the shelf (which usually is less than 4 or 5), and grab a couple Sober Carpenter packs if they have any. It's also an excuse to go to Sportsmans Warehouse which is just a couple doors down. :)

-andy
Awesome info :)

Also looks like Athletic has a mail order option and free shipping. Great option for those who can't find them. They only have the IPA at the grocery stores around me so may get one of their variety packs to try the others.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
As an admitted alcoholic i'll be following this thread. Did AA for a while but it just wasn't for me. The problem with the NA beers is they taste like beer, so the time I got some to try my wife got super pissed at me thinking it would trigger cravings for the real thing. I'm intrigued by the tonic water + bitters. Flavored carbonated waters are my normal go to. Dobt forget to drink real water, I know someone who got kidney stones because they only drank the la Croix.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
As an admitted alcoholic i'll be following this thread. Did AA for a while but it just wasn't for me. The problem with the NA beers is they taste like beer, so the time I got some to try my wife got super pissed at me thinking it would trigger cravings for the real thing. I'm intrigued by the tonic water + bitters. Flavored carbonated waters are my normal go to. Dobt forget to drink real water, I know someone who got kidney stones because they only drank the la Croix.
I've heard all kinds of "risks" of carbonated water and most are not backed by peer-reviewed science. Carbonated water is considered to be a very good alternative to drinking sugary drinks/sodas, which do actually cause that problem. So his stones likely weren't caused by the fizzy water based on the studies.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I've heard all kinds of "risks" of carbonated water and most are not backed by peer-reviewed science. Carbonated water is considered to be a very good alternative to drinking sugary drinks/sodas, which do actually cause that problem. So his stones likely weren't caused by the fizzy water based on the studies.
Interesting, yea I do the fizzys to avoid the suger. Even though I'm dealer of suger haha. I'm going to post something I made with allulose to the cooking sub forum here in the next few days.

atomic dog

Steelhead
I've tried a couple of the Athletic offerings, they are decent. Believe it or not, Crux Fermentation Project out of Bend has a non-alcohol IPA, it has been the best of what I have tried. Offerings are few and far between here in the Tri Cities.

It must be due to google searches (for NA beer) on my phone, but I've started getting facebook ads for non alcoholic bourbon on there now. I have a hard time imagining it would be any good, but I have to admit I am kinda curious to see what it tastes like.