NFR Battery powered chainsaw(s)?

Non-fishing related

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Not fishing related: I see @Roper sold a pair of Stihl chainsaws and is opting for "electric". My 43 (or so) year old Stihl gave up the ghost and I don't want to be bothered with mixing fuel anymore. I need a saw for pruning a tree* or two, I'm not cutting firewood. How many of you are using electric chainsaws (battery, please) and what's your experience? Recommendations? Saws to avoid?

* I have a corded electric pole pruner for pruning branches I can't get to from my orchard ladder, it's heavy and awkward for closer in work.

Thanks in advance.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Been looking at a few on Amazon for small limb pruning. What gives me pause is the amount of 'cuts' per battery charge, some are pretty low, like 100 cuts per charge. Something to keep in mind while reading the fine print.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Following.

I've been electric saw curious for a while. I want a smaller saw that lasts a long time. I figure the big gas saw is good at it's thing. The smaller saws that are lighter are prime for battery power.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have the smaller Stihl battery saw and like it quite a bit. If you keep a good sharp chain on it you can get quite a bit done. I kind of wish I had got the makita though, as it uses the same batteries I have in a lot of other tools, and the capacity is a bit more.
They won't replace a gas saws power, but I no longer have to start it for my wife to do a little pruning, and we don't have to clean the carburetor on it.

RCF

Life of the Party
I just bought a Lowes Kobalt 14" chainsaw. I have a Kobalt limb trimmer pole saw and edger/trimmer and am happy with them. Main reason for that chainsaw is I can share batteries between them. Batteries are fricken expensive and do not last long time under use. They do charge quickly though..

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
My tree service guy uses Stihl battery powered small saws. Biggest thing in any battery powered tool is having batteries that work with all your tools, and extra batteries, extra chargers. Having multiple brands of tools with proprietary batteries is a no go.
I'm a Stihl guy, so inclined to go that direction, when I used his saws, I was impressed with how light and powerful they were.

Last edited:

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I just bought a Lowes Kobalt 14" chainsaw. I had a Kobalt limb trimmer pole saw and edger/trimmer and am happy with them. Main reason for that chainsaw is I can share batteries between them. Batteries are fricken expensive and do not last long time under use.
I have a Ryobi drill, leaf blower, (float tube inflator pump) and a ratchet driver but they're only 18V (5Ah, lithium) and yes, replacement batteries are spendy.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I have an Ego with a 16" bar. Works pretty good for small stuff, ie, falling small 10 to 12" diameter trees and bucking them up, limbing etc. Battery charges in about 30 minutes, ie, have a sandwich.

RCF

Life of the Party
I have an Ego with a 16" bar. Works pretty good for small stuff, ie, falling small 10 to 12" diameter trees and bucking them up, limbing etc. Battery charges in about 30 minutes, ie, have a sandwich.

When researching chainsaws biggest complaint I saw was chain tension issues. A couple have a tension mechanism like gas powered. That would be my preference. Kobalt does not...

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The Stihl is super easy to tension the chain with no tools needed. The only thing that would make me go another way is if I already had batteries that would power a saw. If you have two batteries, you can work all day non stop, as it take less time to charge than it does to run one down..

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Well, after doing a lot of research I opted for an Ego 18 inch saw. It comes with the same 5 amp hour battery as my mower. It’s about the same weight as my old Stihl 026. I haven’t fired it up yet, but when I do I’ll report out.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Ryobi - I've chopped up trees that have fallen on my property over 12" in diameter with this saw. Plenty of power and seems to be well made. I already had the weed and hedge trimmers, so sticking with Ryobi so I could use the same batteries was a no brainer.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
The Stihl is super easy to tension the chain with no tools needed. The only thing that would make me go another way is if I already had batteries that would power a saw. If you have two batteries, you can work all day non stop, as it take less time to charge than it does to run one down..
Two batteries and a lot of money to pay for them…I found Stihl too expensive.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Ryobi - I've chopped up trees that have fallen on my property over 12" in diameter with this saw. Plenty of power and seems to be well made. I already had the weed and hedge trimmers, so sticking with Ryobi so I could use the same batteries was a no brainer.
What voltage and Ah are your batteries?

Reactions: RCF

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I have used the 60v Dewalt with 16” bar for a couple years now. I am quite happy, the battery doesn’t last quite as long as it used to, and you have to keep it on its side ( bar down) to keep it from leaking bar oil, but a good tool. I have used it a lot and cycled the battery many times in both hot and cold weather.
I have a second battery for another tool, if am constantly cutting hardwood rounds to length for more than two hours I will need the extra battery. 9ah batteries take a while to charge.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

I bought the 16" ECHO battery chainsaw and use it all the time. Get an extra chain and a sharpening tool so you get the most out of the 58V battery with each use.

Wolverine

Smolt
Ego chainsaw, weed eater, and leaf blower. all use the same batteries. Also have a battery Stihl 8” bar 1 hander for light pruning. Only gasser left is the lawnmower.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Dewalt 60 Volt 16” bar. does ok cutting up big limbs and even small logs.

I went with electric garden tools too, since I was tired of having gasoline around the garage. My last hold outs were my Honda generators, and I modified them for propane.