NFR Battery powered chainsaw(s)?

Non-fishing related

Chucker

Steelhead
Can you even buy a corded electric chainsaw any more? I think that the corporations make a lot more money selling battery tools and replacement batteries.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
What voltage and Ah are your batteries?
40v 6Amp The 18V is good for a small leafblower or my air inflater. But it was a dog when I tried to use the hedge trimmer - it choked on even small stuff. So I converted to the 40V = problem solved.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Buying a cordless tool is less about the tool and more about the cordless. You're not buying an individual tool; you're buying into a battery ecosystem.

I like Ryobi, because they don't change their battery format every 5 minutes and they have more tools than any other brand (AFAIK). They aren't the highest quality, but they're more than adequate for DIY and they have a great warranty.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Bought a Dewalt 12" blade last year (because I had a bunch of batteries already). Was skeptical, but was not disappointed. It will do more than I need from it.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Ego 14” chainsaw bought it because as others have said you tend to buy what is compatible battery wise with your other tools… Have the Ego weed eater and happy with both

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Hey Pat, I use an electric Stihl chainsaw. Just as much power as my gas Stihl but quieter and endless power as long as it’s plugged in!!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Hey Pat, I use an electric Stihl chainsaw. Just as much power as my gas Stihl but quieter and endless power as long as it’s plugged in!!
I’m clumsy enough so climbing a ladder and working from big walnut branches with a corded saw? Sounds a tad dicey 😁

MELinOre

Steelhead
I bought a Harbor Freight 40V battery operated chainsaw several years ago. My Stihl MS310 hasn't seen the outside of it's carrying case since then. I also bought HF's 40V string trimmer last year. I'm pleased with the functionality of the saw and trimmer.
Can you even buy a corded electric chainsaw any more? I think that the corporations make a lot more money selling battery tools and replacement batteries.
HF still sells a couple corded 120V chainsaws, although it appears one is on clearance.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I agree with the comments above about having all of one kind of battery for all of your stuff. I have a bunch of DeWalt handtools, leaf blower, etc so when it came time to get rid of our gas chainsaw I just went with another DeWalt. Already have several of the 60V batteries, so it was a no brainer. Also got the battery pole saw. I like both alot. Sure beats trying to get a 35 year old gasser chainsaw started each spring.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Well think about it this way Pat.....when I was a carpenter and when working on a roof, dragging an extension cord it would always catch on something so instant safety rope!
It never catches when you want it to!

Hem

Life of the Party
I have heard the Stihl is the best overall.
I bought a Makita last Fall since I have a huge collection of Makita battery tools for work. I use the chainsaw for rough cutting beams, but also on atv rides or driving Forest service roads to clear downed limbs or trees.
Much more versatile than my Stihl electric.

tkww

Steelhead
I have a Makita two-battery, i.e. 36 volt. I have a couple other Makita tools and wanted a couple more. At times, Makita dealers sell the full kit (tool, charger, batteries) with an offer for two additional free batteries. So I was able to buy one two-battery tool and end up with four 5Ah batteries (albeit only one charger), and then bought some others tools bare.

I like Makita's stuff in general though it seems there are other good options out there. I do think 18v is a underpowered for a lot of yard stuff as a general system. I'm currently looking to go from 18v to 36v (or 40v?) in both hedge and string trimmer. Lot of other companies that didn't have a history of construction/power tools went straight to 40v, 60v, etc. That's not just marketing, IMO. Makita is slowly rolling out their 40v/80v line, Ryobi too. But you'd basically be starting over in that case.

That said, if you're just talking limbs and smaller stuff, cleaning up after a windstorm, etc., a single-battery 18v or 20v will be just fine, particularly with softer woods. But if you're felling trees, trying to break down the maple tree they just cut down, or working with larger stuff, a longer bar and/or more voltage would be my inclination.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party

I bought the 16" ECHO battery chainsaw and use it all the time. Get an extra chain and a sharpening tool so you get the most out of the 58V battery with each use.

Second DimeBrites choice of reference. Todd does a great job of setting up relevant tests and reviews. Literally hundreds of items.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I visited the saw shop. Sorry husky is the way to go. About 1200 bucks for the unit I was looking at. Spendy. However they have not had a single saw failed and needing service in the time they have sold them.

I have the Stihl MSA 140 12” bar 36v 4.5 ah battery. I rarely grab the gas Stihl anymore because the battery is so convenient. I get around 80 cuts on 6-10” oak and maple wood before charging. I would guess about 20 minutes of continuous run time and the batteries also fit my Stihl leaf blower so I have extra batteries. I keep it in my pickup when driving two tracks to fishing destinations and also in my raft to cut out new sweepers blocking the rivers I float.