NFR Baseball 2023

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'll admit that I love the new pitch clock rules. They make baseball watchable again. Between the time wasting and the focus on the "three true outcomes", baseball had turned into a 162 game snooze fest (and each game was taking longer than they ever had in MLB history). If making the bases bigger brings steal attempts back to what they were in the 80's, that's awesome. If banning the shift puts more balls in play, that's even more awesome.

But most importantly, remember that the clock rules didn't take anything away but wasted time. None of the action is gone. Just the boring ass bits. Just the long winded go nowhere stories that the announcers had to come up with to fill time.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Pitch clock doesn’t bother me much. I think it could be tweaked a little. No shift is what it is. I think the game would have adjusted for the shift eventually. Bigger bases makes sense and if it lessens injuries bigger bases are a good thing. Holding base runners is a part of the game. The new rules on throwing to first need some work. I hate the free runner on second during extra innings.

As far as the Mariners go I am trying to be hopeful. It all seems so familiar. Great expectations…

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pitch clock doesn’t bother me much. I think it could be tweaked a little. No shift is what it is. I think the game would have adjusted for the shift eventually. Bigger bases makes sense and if it lessens injuries bigger bases are a good thing. Holding base runners is a part of the game. The new rules on throwing to first need some work. I hate the free runner on second during extra innings.

As far as the Mariners go I am trying to be hopeful. It all seems so familiar. Great expectations…
They have been tinkering with this game for decades. Pitching mound height…Oh damn Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, the fab 4 of Baltimore, etc., they are to good let’s level it out some. There were still some amazing numbers put up with the pitching mound higher…. Ted Williams and Roger Maris quickly come to mind. Strike zone reduction, need more offense so make the strike zone the sweet zone for hitters. Remember the high fastball or the riser? Come across above the belt but below the nipple line. That was a strike. Not now. It goes on and on. No different than the NFL. Always changing and improvising. Sometimes good other times not so good. That’s my .01

kerrys

Ignored Member
They have been tinkering with this game for decades. Pitching mound height…Oh damn Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, the fab 4 of Baltimore, etc., they are to good let’s level it out some. There were still some amazing numbers put up with the pitching mound higher…. Ted Williams and Roger Maris quickly come to mind. Strike zone reduction, need more offense so make the strike zone the sweet zone for hitters. Remember the high fastball or the riser? Come across above the belt but below the nipple line. That was a strike. Not now. It goes on and on. No different than the NFL. Always changing and improvising. Sometimes good other times not so good. That’s my .01
Some tweaks make sense, some don’t.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Howabout those amazing young Royals, won their first game of the season (1-3) after being shut out in 2 of the first 3. Only 3 games back of in the AL central.

Go Royals!!

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Apparently, it even affects the great game of baseball!

:cry:

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Gotta love those amazing young Royals. Off to a blazing 2 and 6 (that's .250) start, hangin' in tough, only 3.5 back.

Go Royals!!!!

cheers

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
^^^^
It’s not how you start…it’s how you finish!

Your post on Global Warming and home runs was interesting reading, tho some of it made my hair hurt. If I read it and understood it (?) correctly cities having colder weather systems have no chance of leading MLB in homers, slugging %, etc. unless they have enclosed stadiums.
It appears that the Red Sox and Yankees knew this way back when, so in Fenway left field, listed at 315’ (actually 301 but who’s counting) and The Stadium right field was 296, can’t be sure what it is today because you can’t trust anybody in Yankeedom, 😏 are ahead of the game.
With that being said, and I’ve been in KC in late July and August, then it’s only a matter of time before KC is back in the World Series and leading the league in everything offensive, including personal integrity.
One question, is centerfield oriented East?

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
^^^^
It’s not how you start…it’s how you finish!

Your post on Global Warming and home runs was interesting reading, tho some of it made my hair hurt. If I read it and understood it (?) correctly cities having colder weather systems have no chance of leading MLB in homers, slugging %, etc. unless they have enclosed stadiums.
It appears that the Red Sox and Yankees knew this way back when, so in Fenway left field, listed at 315’ (actually 301 but who’s counting) and The Stadium right field was 296, can’t be sure what it is today because you can’t trust anybody in Yankeedom, 😏 are ahead of the game.
With that being said, and I’ve been in KC in late July and August, then it’s only a matter of time before KC is back in the World Series and leading the league in everything offensive, including personal integrity.
One question, is centerfield oriented East?

My recollection for Kauffman Stadium is center field is NE, but, they are likely building a new stadium downtown within the next few years. I hope they keep an expansive outfield, I've always liked that.

Cheers

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It is not often the Cardinals are in town. My grandmother was a die hard Card's fan. My memories were of her in O'Fallon Missouri, making me a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, and after mowing her lawn we would watch the cardinals game on her couch.

I think I will go see a game. While I will be dressed for the M's perhaps a little Cardinals pin snuck in somewhere for Ole Bertha would be nice.

Divad

Whitefish
Tommy Milone’s pitching tonight is a thankful surprise! Variability and speed reminds me of Marco but he has some good command/control.

Ty France and Kelnic are heating up, it’d be nice to see the pitching do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.