Balanced leech LDRs

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
stopped using anything but 3x flouro with barbless BL's, and keep that rod bent. Biggest loss rate is when they rush to the surface and clear the water on a jump = see ya.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I’ve lost quite a few in the last few days as well. I figure it’s because of poor hook sets and slack line. Unless they hit like a freight train and get on the reel, I just start stripping. Because more often than not they run right at me!

I won’t even talk about how many short strikes I’ve had in the last week….

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
When I first started using the barbless FM5045 from fulling mills two years ago I was loosing some, careful attention to line pressure solved that. This time of year I'm trimming tails short which reduces short strikes and gives better hookups. It seems I have more trouble staying hooked up on windy days. I only fish the jig hooks under indicators, I don't care for the balanced leeches with pins. If I want a longer leech I fish a more standard hook on a sinking line.

tkww

Steelhead
Sometimes it just happens. I do think it's worth pointing out that with a bobber presentation you always have a leader/tippet that's likely to contact the outside of the fish's mouth/head and work against the fly fully entering the mouth or entering deeper into the mouth. Maybe try a slightly longer shank so that the hook point is further away from the tippet connection?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wayne, if you want to try a different barbless, I've had decent luck with the HANÁK H 450BL. I usually tie goofy, odd-ball stuff with those. Essentially, jigs.
For balanced leeches or damsel under a bobber I like Daiichi 4647 60-Degree Jig Hooks. They have a limerick bend and come with a barb.

And yes, people have mentioned tension. I think with more and more of us putting weight at the front of the fly it requires more tension. As the old-timers say "Give em the butt!" I know with my bugger I make sure there is always a deep bend in my rod. Even my old stiff RS4 6wt. Keep it bent!

Speaking of that, what weight & action rod are you using? I hardly ever lose fish on my 8' 4wt Aetos as it bends deep with even a 10" fish. I definitely lose more fish on heavier/stiffer rods.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Wayne, if you want to try a different barbless, I've had decent luck with the HANÁK H 450BL. I usually tie goofy, odd-ball stuff with those. Essentially, jigs.
For balanced leeches or damsel under a bobber I like Daiichi 4647 60-Degree Jig Hooks. They have a limerick bend and come with a barb.

And yes, people have mentioned tension. I think with more and more of us putting weight at the front of the fly it requires more tension. As the old-timers say "Give em the butt!" I know with my bugger I make sure there is always a deep bend in my rod. Even my old stiff RS4 6wt. Keep it bent!

Speaking of that, what weight & action rod are you using? I hardly ever lose fish on my 8' 4wt Aetos as it bends deep with even a 10" fish. I definitely lose more fish on heavier/stiffer rods.
That’s what I was gonna ask. Until I finally shelled out for a sinking line for my 4wt, I was always trolling with a 6wt as that’s what I had a sinking line on hand for. There’s the occasional W WA lake bow that puts a good bend in the 6wt, but plenty for which that rod was overpowered as well. Haven’t made it out there yet since finally buying the 4wt sink, but stoked to use it.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party

I use a 8 foot fiberglass 5/6 wt that I built on a Steffen blank. It is soft and bends nicely and I certainly try my best to keep a bend in the rod at all times. It has enough backbone to land a big fish and to set the hook well. I have lost many a fish when I feel like I don't get a good hook set and the fish is racing at me and it is hard to catch up with him. I land most all my fish by stripping, rarely get fish on the reel, only when they seem quite big.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Sometimes you just go through streaks too. Not that it’s a bad thing to try and figure out what is causing a “streak”.

I’ve gone 6 for my last 14 hooked hooked SRC fishing the same flies and hooks I always do. It’s not uncommon to land 10 or 15 in a row on the same exact flies/hooks.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Sometimes you just go through streaks too. Not that it’s a bad thing to try and figure out what is causing a “streak”.

I’ve gone 6 for my last 14 hooked hooked SRC fishing the same flies and hooks I always do. It’s not uncommon to land 10 or 15 in a row on the same exact flies/hooks.
I certainly get this and been there, done that. But weird that twice I switched flies and landed everything after that.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Definitely had more fish to hand per strike during the float tube intermediate line decades vs current floating line strike indicator years. Guess to be expected with a direct connection vs a hinged one, and a charging bite vs a cruise by nibble.
Son and I lost some XL's last summer at Crane Prairie when they air launched and spit...this year we're going to practice barbed fish abuse when working a fave seam that seems to consistently put out the XL's.