Area #13

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Budd Bay, Oly..are the Coho here yet? Went but didn’t see any myself. Hope he brings some in..BC590EC4-B528-42C2-ABB4-2EC384170C82.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Nets were out near Purdy as well. Likely targeting Minter chinook.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
Curious the shut down notes “the recreational fishing” closure, so I take it tribal netting is still allowed?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Most of the stocks south of the bridge are of hatchery origin, plus you can’t keep anything unclipped. You can’t even keep chum.
We haven’t had any significant rain to get fish moving.
It will be interesting to see what the final numbers are this year. If it’s anything like last year, this is nothing but lost opportunity and an overreaction or pressure by someone to close this…..
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
And here I was thinking that these next two weeks might be a good time to take my boat out and try for some coho. Now it's closed because of Chinook impacts? This seems really odd. There's always a ton of Green R. hatchery stock Chinook returning to Nisqually and Deschutes every year, vastly more than recreational fishermen can come close of harvesting. The treaty net fisheries are the dependable "mop up" of excess hatchery fall Chinook.

So if I go out, I have to limit my scope to SRC beaches it looks like. Damn, I was hoping to put some coho in the freezer.

Divad

Whitefish
Most of the stocks south of the bridge are of hatchery origin, plus you can’t keep anything unclipped. You can’t even keep chum.
We haven’t had any significant rain to get fish moving.
It will be interesting to see what the final numbers are this year. If it’s anything like last year, this is nothing but lost opportunity and an overreaction or pressure by someone to close this…..
SF
Last year chum retention was canceled and put back on the table. I’m going to guess that will happen again, SS chum folk put up a huge tussle.

JayB

Steelhead
Any explanation yet? Booked a place on Harstine for Sat-Tues and was looking forward to chasing some coho from the boat.

Guess I'll bring my SRC gear and count my blessings.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Got some Intel saying that there are concern regarding Wilds returning to the Nisqually. So the closure was pushed by the tribe because of that. There has been a big push of kings in 11 though so I think they are all just pigging out waiting for the rain before running up.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Anyone know of a reasonable source that shows fall hatchery chinook returns to the Nisqually?
It’s not on WDFW hatchery escapement report as it isn’t one of their facilities.
I’m most interested in return numbers for the past ten years or so.
I know I’m years past there have been so many surplus fish they’ve given them away to people.
SF

Smalma

Life of the Party
Stonedfish-
The Nisqually tribal hatcheries are "Kalama" and "Clear Creek" but don't where to find returns (NWIFC maybe). Given the recent change in hatchery management - from the Nisqually Stock Profile in the draft 2022 PS Co-manager PS Chinook plan "starting in 2021 hatchery gates remain closed in August to promote strays to support total escapements on spawning grounds at or above 3,500." So not a source of potential run-size in-season information.

Not sure the creel checks are much more informative. From the most recent WDFW mark selective summer Chinook reports that I could find (2020) for the creel information in MA 13 I found the following - "Unlike the other survey designs, Baseline Sampling does not provide a means for generating in-season or immediate post-season estimates of fishery total catch or effort."

So are potentially left with the in-river tribal catches. It is unknown whether the information has been collected in a manner to allow a meaningful in-season update (ISU).

To out of basin potential sources of the strength of the PS Chinook returns could be Lake Washington or Elliot Bay. As of the 22nd of August, about 6,000 Chinook have been counted over the locks (pre-season forecast of 5,207). According to the List of agreed to Fisheries (LOAF) the sport fishery was scheduled to open the first week of August depending on the results of the ISU (tribal test net fishery) with the second week listed as closed. Ultimately the fishery was allowed for both weeks - ISU above expectations?

An interesting aside from the Nisqually profile. Between 2004 and 2020 the Nisqually chinook escapement (hatchery and wild) only reached that 3,500 twice. Further the information provided regarding the egg to juvenile migrant survivals in the majority of the years is so low that those spawners are not producing enough juveniles/spawner to replace themselves.

Curt

Divad

Whitefish
1661977539509.png

If you want a summary of why it was closed here:

Last Friday...(harp sound back in time)

Random Tribal Member: "Boy nothing in my net today, the whole system is broken. Better tell the state"
State: "Hi, how can we please you" (opens door, holds tissue, assumes the position)
RTM: "I did not catch any fish today and its b.s. the howlies that took our land still get to."
State:
EnormousPresentBichonfrise-size_restricted.gif

(harp sound again)(spongebob voice...)
1661978017761.png

Random Tribal Member #2: "Boy look at all these fish in my net, better tell the state!"
State: "Hi, how can we please you" (opens door, holds tissue, assumes the position)

1661978853942.png

Like that time I sent an out of office, then took it back, and sent it again (nice try Larry).

If only it could of had such an impact.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
Look I get it, things get soft when you’re in bed with two wives. They’ll ride you hard. But you can’t only listen to one, while feeding her and choking the other.

That’s just f***ing wrong.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Reason for action: Chinook salmon returns to the Nisqually river were below pre-season expectation through last Friday, when WDFW paused recreational salmon fishing. After discussions with co-managers and evaluating current information, WDFW is comfortable that management objectives will not be compromised by reopening recreational salmon fishing.

In other words.....we believe this three day recreational salmon fishing closure helped south sound chinook stocks avoid extinction. :ROFLMAO:
SF