Allergic to tying materials?

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For the last few weeks I've been breaking out with minor rashes during and after fly tying. The correllation is pretty solid. Never had a problem before. No respiratory symptoms. Wondering if something changed. Anyone else experience this or have any any ideas for managing it?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yeah a few people on the board have reported developing sensitivity to certain UV cures.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Yeah a few people on the board have reported developing sensitivity to certain UV cures.
Me. I got a sunburny rash from uv resins. Doesn’t happen with two part though.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Fascinating! I just bought the loon UV resin kit... Any workarounds, cuz I really love the stuff. I'm guessing it's the actual resin and not the UV light/radiation. Might try wearing nitrile gloves while applying it.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
You could try switching brands. I've only had issues with Solarez - and definitely a contact allergy, not the fumes. I've even had recent reactions to old flies I tied with Solarez years ago!

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've been actually touching the stuff, probably not a good idea all allergies or not. I'll take precautions to keep the stuff off my skin and see how that goes. Thanks all

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

flybill

Life of the Party
Go see your doctor and get tested for allergies.. they can develop at any point in your life. I never had them until 45 or 50. It might be the UV, but you won't know for sure until you get tested for allergies. Not worth checking health websites or getting advice.. imho!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
My reaction was on my face and neck. Happened twice, no contact, so must have been fumes. I just went back to Sally’s with no further problems

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I get itchy hands and at times I'll get blotches on my back and belly.

Well the thing to do is lay off the UV completely for a few weeks. If it doesn't go away I'll see an allergist and keep using it. If it goes away I'll try using it with gloves on and be extremely careful not to touch it. If it comes back sans touching the stuff then I'll have to try the solarez or stick with SHHAN. Thanks again everyone.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Fascinating! I just bought the loon UV resin kit... Any workarounds, cuz I really love the stuff. I'm guessing it's the actual resin and not the UV light/radiation. Might try wearing nitrile gloves while applying it.
Try another brand, maybe. I've been using Gulf. But hardly ever, I mostly use Sally Hansons.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Reactions to UV epoxy are possible with all brands, but Solarez seems to be the most common one people react to.

I seem to get a reaction to rabbit dubbing, itchy nose. Rabbit strips are fine though.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good ventilation when working with UV resin is important.

I can't tie with elk. After a session tying elk hair anythings I feel like I have strep throat for two days.

Reactions: Zak
I'm glad I haven't had that problem! With all my materials I've collected over the past 50+ years I'd be dead!😵‍💫

Kim

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not sure what the photo-initiator chemicals are in these hobby resins, but likely not good. The chems we use in semiconductor fabrication (UV and DUV photolithography) are nasty (and expensive at $3K+ per gallon). I still work around the stuff today, but fortunately don't handle it much. So far no alleric reactions, or major health issues, but did have some unhealthy exposures back in the 80's. 😬😨

When tying with UV resins, I always use nitrile gloves and at least crack a window for some ventilation. If the sun is out I'll set partially cured flies outdoors over a sheet of foil. Gets the smell out of the house, and after 10 minutes of full sun, flies don't need anything more than a light wipe down with rubbing alcohol.

Reactions: Zak

headduck

Steelhead
As an aside, craft stores sell a few types of uv resins that are a bit less spendy and sometimes are colored etc. Uv active nail polish works too but is spendy and has very vibrant colors... I always use in a well ventilated area with gloves.