Allergic to tying materials?

Otter

Steelhead
Are you getting rashes just where you've had exposure to the resin? That stuff is pretty reactive (think leaving bleach on your hands). I would definitely recommend a pair of nitrile gloves when applying and curing. He's safety info on solarez's stuff.

Good idea looking up the safety data, but that one's for Solarez' woodworking finish. It shows this warning (not as bad as their UV fly tying resin):

"Hazard Statements
Causes serious eye irritation

Precautionary Statements
Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling.
Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do.
Continue rinsing.
If eye irritation persists: Get medical advice/attention.

Hazards Not Otherwise (HNOC), Other Hazards
Polymerization may occur from excessive heat, contamination or exposure to direct sunlight.
Contact with skin may cause a cross-allergic reaction in persons already sensitized to acrylates."

Solarez fly tying resins have different (and worse) safety data. Here's the warning for the popular Ultra Thin Bone Dry:

"2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
Acute Toxicity Hazard Category 4
Serious Eye Damage / Eye Irritation Hazard Category 2A
Skin Irritation Hazard Category 2A
Skin Sensitizer Hazard Category 1

LABEL ELEMENTS
Signal Word
WARNING

Hazard Statements
Harmful if swallowed
Causes skin irritation
Causes serious eye irritant"

Links:

I haven't had any skin reactions to Solarez Ultra Thin Bone Dry, but if it can damage skin, I worry what it might do to my respiratory system, since it has quite a smell. Remember that our smell receptors work by sensing contact by actual substances in the air. So I'm throwing it out now. Back to good old head cement for me!