2023 Garden Thread

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
“Won’t kink easily” that right there given 50years of buying garden hoses has me stymied too. Have bought the “answer” to no kink hoses. The limp kind the steel kink. All have down sides.

Reactions: Zak

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I need a recommendation for a good 50' garden hose that won't kink easily. My hose is so kinky that it is very frustrating to use. If anyone has found a hose they like that lasts, I am all ears! Thanks.
I got a hose made by Goodyear that was pricey but has been pretty badass, as far as hoses go.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I need a recommendation for a good 50' garden hose that won't kink easily. My hose is so kinky that it is very frustrating to use. If anyone has found a hose they like that lasts, I am all ears! Thanks.
I have 3 of those black garden hoses we got at Costco. They've been around a few years now, and I haven't had any issues with kinking. I do roll the twists out of the hose when I see one though.

Bagman

Steelhead
I read on the web so you know it’s true! that you should cover you ground with black plastic to hold the heat in the ground and the weeds down. Lay a piece of soaker hose under the black plastic and that will help hold in the water. So far so good. I bought 5 each 4inch tomato plants and planted them in my little spot that gets the best light. They have been in the ground for a little over a month now. I should be seeing fruit in a few more days on my two early girls that’s the two up front. I’m looking forward to some fresh tomatoes

Attachments

• IMG_5198.jpeg
    IMG_5198.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5223.jpeg
    IMG_5223.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have 3 of those black garden hoses we got at Costco. They've been around a few years now, and I haven't had any issues with kinking. I do roll the twists out of the hose when I see one though.
Are they the "zero-G" ones with some kind of fabric cover over the rubber hose? They look kind of like an expandable hose but are not expandable? I was looking at those...

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
All hoses work fine when it is very warm. Temp range matters. I avoid hoses that stiffen up when it gets near freezing. I avoid the soft woven flat light weight hoses which you whip around when you turn the water up… couplings kind hurt when they fly around and hit ya. Rubber is great in warm weather and stiff as hell when cold. I spent $40 on my 100’ 5/8” hose which kinks. It’s okay i always asumme any hose I have eventually will kink. Besides it gives me elocution practice of 4 letter words as I walk down the line to unkink. I always wrangle my hoses and coil them

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Are they the "zero-G" ones with some kind of fabric cover over the rubber hose? They look kind of like an expandable hose but are not expandable? I was looking at those...
The rolling up and hose coiling matters a lot. I get 10 to 25 years out of my hoses cuz i mind my hoses

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I have gone through a ton of hoses over the last few decades...these never leak, kink, or otherwise fail in any way...ever.
:)

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
No, they're just black rubber hoses.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
It may outlast me, but it looks like it takes two men and a boy to haul it around the yard. Ever since Trump deported my Mexicans I have to do the yard work myself.
Any regular old run of the mill dude can easily move that, and if you can't...well you probably should seek out the assisted care living type place...and certainly should not be wading a river, or riding a bike.
;)

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I have a bumper crop of strawberries.
The problem is the f....ing squirrels are eating them all while still green.
HELP..😫